House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Dubai

The Next Nulabia Leader. Does He Speak English?

In explaining his thoughts on the Iraq War, Mr Ed Milliband said (big space because I can't use return!!) "What I am not saying is that the war was undertaken for the wrong motives but what I am very clear about is what my position was at the time and the way I look at it in retrospect." Now, English is my native language, but I haven't got a clue what that last sentence means http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/8698382.stm A sign of things to come????

Guest AuntJess

In explaining his thoughts on the Iraq War, Mr Ed Milliband said (big space because I can't use return!!) "What I am not saying is that the war was undertaken for the wrong motives but what I am very clear about is what my position was at the time and the way I look at it in retrospect." Now, English is my native language, but I haven't got a clue what that last sentence means http://news.bbc.co.u...ews/8698382.stm A sign of things to come????

Standard practice for many politicians. Obscure-speak. Then they can deny anything, as we could not tell WTF they were saying originally.

In explaining his thoughts on the Iraq War, Mr Ed Milliband said (big space because I can't use return!!) "What I am not saying is that the war was undertaken for the wrong motives but what I am very clear about is what my position was at the time and the way I look at it in retrospect." Now, English is my native language, but I haven't got a clue what that last sentence means http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/8698382.stm A sign of things to come????

Yeah, but no, but yeah, but no etc

Lol. That reminds me of when I watched that ridiculous Tony Benn interview with Saddam Hussein. It was the most horrendous winding word salad I've ever heard in my life. Afterwards I realised that I'd been in a trance for the duration of the entire interview and I couldn't recall a single point which Saddam Hussein had made. Tony Benn must have felt absolutely exhausted after that.

If you read it closely Miliband is using the double negative for the motive for the war.

I think we can take it he "is" saying the motive for going to war was "ok".

If you are of the view that the UK's medium to long term geo political interests are best served by occupying the ground of the US' most reliable and staunchest ally, which is easily argued, you would agree with that. If you are not of that view, again easily argued, you'd disagree.

For what it's worth the rumbles I am getting is that there is a certain disappointment in thoughtful US circles that the UK did not persuade/prevail upon the Bush administration "not to". That is one of the things the thoughtful Yanks look to us for, such as the Atlee's contribution to the US decision not to use atomic weapons in Korea and Jackson's decision not to start shooting at Russians at Pristina airport in 1999.

Miliband goes on to say he is absolutely clear about what his position "was" and how he "looks" at that "now".

He doesn't tell us "what" his position was or whether he thinks it was "right".

All that shyte to one side, I bet he voted for the war in Iraq and that action speaks louder than all his obfuscatory words, which, like his vote, do him no credit.

Guest DissipatedYouthIsValuable

Old school politico nonsequitur *****erism.

The Millipede brothers are seriously weird.

For some strange reason they remind me of the Koala Brothers. I now have disturbing thoughts when I go past the children's rides in my local Morrisons.

46507thekoalabrothers.jpg