House Price Crash Forum

"house Prices Will Continue To Rise"

HOLA441

Economic recovery = HPI

“Only millionaires should pay inheritance tax,” he said. “I’m absolutely clear on that. As the economy recovers and as house prices continue to rise you will find people getting caught by the inheritance net that should not be there.”

linky

Edited by Son of Fred

HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446

HPI is our engine for growth and has been so since the early 70's. Banking provides the debt and the sheeple comply.

The flaw in the plan to allow HPI to build Britain is outside forces that are now taking our currency down and will eventually cause IR to rise as credit risks increase. As Friedman pointed out when HPI mania began in the US--there aint no free lunch.

HOLA447

HPI is our engine for growth and has been so since the early 70's. Banking provides the debt and the sheeple comply.

The flaw in the plan to allow HPI to build Britain is outside forces that are now taking our currency down and will eventually cause IR to rise as credit risks increase. As Friedman pointed out when HPI mania began in the US--there aint no free lunch.

Without income growth the central bank has to increase asset values as a way of getting money into the hands of the consumer.

Which is an unfair way of doing it since not everyone in the society is an owner of assets.

HOLA448

Economic recovery = HPI

linky

The link in the OP didn't work for me. This works: LINK: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics/politics/david-cameron/7751610/David-Cameron-vows-to-cut-taxes.html

(The link in the OP is repeating the "http" twice)

Yep. He said that.

But why? Does he believe in it? Or was he just defending his Inheritance Tax policy?

Does he know what he is talking about? (Cameron may have an IQ a little above average, but he is no genius).

Is he planning to inflate the economy?

Edited by Tired of Waiting

HOLA449
HOLA4410
HOLA4411
HOLA4412
HOLA4413
HOLA4414
Guest Skinty

Isn't that just admitting that we live in a debt based monetary system that needs to inflate over time?

It's a far cry to suggesting that he will spend the hundreds of billions of pounds that Brown did to prop up a market for long enough to reach the general election.

After all, they have brought in the 40% capital gains tax which should stop buying second homes or BTL as a short term investment. That was one of the main causes of HPI. That and low interest rates.

One of the typical arguments against the Conservatives from Labour have been their high interest rates, as if that's a bad thing. People need an incentive to save.

Edited by Skinty

HOLA4415

He's not going to say that house prices are too high and that he's going to do something about it, is he?

Wait until prices start tumbling again and see if he tries to prop them up at all costs, that will be the acid test ;).

Like stop preventing forced sales?

My main concern:

Newspapers headlines like:

"Hard Working Families Being Evicted - Tory Government Refuses to Help"

HOLA4416
HOLA4417
HOLA4418
HOLA4419

Not sure what DC is saying in that statement, its a bit ambiguous. I tell you what I do know though, I didn't vote for him, nor Clegg, so whatever happens over the next 5 years is nothing to do with me guv'. dry.gif

HOLA4420

Not sure what DC is saying in that statement, its a bit ambiguous. I tell you what I do know though, I didn't vote for him, nor Clegg, so whatever happens over the next 5 years is nothing to do with me guv'. dry.gif

the prime minister stating he expects house prices to rise once a global credit cycle has ended is about as relevant/useful as a prime minister saying he wont let house prices get out of control when the global credit bubble is nearing its blow off peak. If people actually listened to these muppets words then they have only themselves to blame.

Based on the above they would have sold up in 97 and start investing in property now, very astute. Personally i make my investment decisions based on policy and conditions rather than rhetoric, to name but three taxing Pension dividend, switching to CPI and Cap gains releif changes since 98 quite clearly pointed out the direction house prices should take and they did. Increasing Cap gains to 40% quite clearly highlights the first change that points out the new direction of them, i shall be interested to see the next few policies that are house price negative over the coming years

Edited by Tamara De Lempicka

HOLA4421

Surely he's just making the point that inheritance tax is particularly subject to bracket creep. It's hardly a statement of policy on house prices nor even a prediction really, just a point about taxation which relies on the reasonable observation that house prices generally rise over time.

HOLA4422
HOLA4423

He is probably correct. However we are a long way from an econmic recovery.

Correct. What you should also read into this is that as the economy flatlines/falls over the next 2-3 years of austerity (prior to the hoped for real recovery) is that house prices will flatline/fall. The best Cameron can hope for over the next 2-3 years is a flat economy, but more likely negative growth. He is quite prepared to do this as a price to get a real recovery going by 2013/14. Don't panic. House prices will go up as the economy recovers but that is 3 years away, if the switch from state sponsored economics to private investment works, and before then you will see falls.

HOLA4424

Surely he's just making the point that inheritance tax is particularly subject to bracket creep. It's hardly a statement of policy on house prices nor even a prediction really, just a point about taxation which relies on the reasonable observation that house prices generally rise over time.

I agree. The wish for an HPC on these boards is such that too much can be read into throw away statements. The PM of the country has to do a lot of talking and not all of it is as carefully thought about as perhaps we assume.

HOLA4425