House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
The Masked Tulip

Eurozone To Put Trade Tariffs On Goods From The Uk

This was just mentioned in a BBC News report by Steff Flanders - the Eurozone is our biggest market and apparently they are peeved that we are not helping them bail out the Euro mess.

This was just mentioned in a BBC News report by Steff Flanders - the Eurozone is our biggest market and apparently they are peeved that we are not helping them bail out the Euro mess.

Feck'em once the european civil war ends ( 2021) , we can go over and nick what's left ;)

Uuuh, whoever said that doesn't actually understand the nature of the EU.

This is a good thing - doomsayers on the EU are misleading people, so it's a fair assumption that the € crash is over for now. Expect lots of optimism during the summer, a nice market bounce, and then ...

Uuuh, whoever said that doesn't actually understand the nature of the EU.

This is a good thing - doomsayers on the EU are misleading people, so it's a fair assumption that the € crash is over for now. Expect lots of optimism during the summer, a nice market bounce, and then ...

Are not the Eurozone and the EU two separate things?

so a country with no internal demand is going to slap import tarrifs on us

how is that worse from the situation beforehand?

Are not the Eurozone and the EU two separate things?

Yes, but the EZ is still subject to EU law (which stipulates a single market).

I can't see that they'd want to start a tit-for-tat tariff war in any case, we're very good customers for them :)

(typo)

Edited by huw

Yes, but the EZ is still subject to EU law (which stipulates a single market).

I can't see that they'd want to start a tit-for-tat tariff war in any case, we're very good customers for them smile.gif

(typo)

maybe the existence of a threat is a sign of helplessness in the EZ - you're right of course

Wouldnt surprise me. Generally how the EU operates. Blackmail. Do as we say or we'll take away your jobs. Worked with Ireland.

Why The UK, netherlands and Germany want in the EU i will never understand. All three of us get screwed.

During Thatcher's time it was reported that the then German Chancellor threatened war if the UK didn't play ball on the creation of the european union. It's never mentioned in the media these days and it wasn't that widely reported even when it happened.

That was in the late 80s and in the days when europe was still more or less just the common market trading block and it was before the EU had really got any momentum in terms of trying to be a political block.

At the time it was played down and it wasn't made that clear whether the use of the word war meant trade war or real war (or both) but it did raise a few eyebrows (to say the very least) considering World Wars 1 and 2 with Germany.

Sounds like the threat was real and it's being repeated and likely to be implemented.

Edited by billybong

We impose tariffs on stuff coming into the UK from the EU. You cannot import booze, fags and many other items without customs duty being imposed at certain levels. In the EU you can freely import export what you like and how much you like.

Why The UK, netherlands and Germany want in the EU i will never understand. All three of us get screwed.

I suspect that the EU as we know it is doomed.

A new EU or 'North Sea Federation' will emerge, consisting of Germany, Benelux, Scandinavia, the UK, and possibly France.

During Thatcher's time it was reported that the then German Chancellor threatened war if the UK didn't play ball on the creation of the european union. It's never mentioned in the media these days and it wasn't that widely reported even when it happened.

Yeah, well, the outlets for complete nonsense were much more limited before t' internet... seriously, this sounds like rubbish of the first order. Still, the idea that 'it wasn't that widely reported...' is nice - must have been a really busy news-week...

I suspect that the EU as we know it is doomed.

A new EU or 'North Sea Federation' will emerge, consisting of Germany, Benelux, Scandinavia, the UK, and possibly France.

I like how some people on this forum like to think the UK is like one of those productive will run Northern European economies ... news flash, thanks to Brown we're more like the PIIGS!

I like how some people on this forum like to think the UK is like one of those productive will run Northern European economies ... news flash, thanks to Brown we're more like the PIIGS!

We're certainly closer to Greece than we are to Germany.

I very much doubt that we could actually manufacture a lot fo the stuff now imported from the EU.

Considering the start up costs and rents/rates/purchase costs of industrial units the above stands even more.

An economic blind alley is where we are.

Euro-posturing, nothing else.

There's a small matter of a treaty that prohibits this.

We could even call it the Hanseatic League.