House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

cattius

Celery: How Personal Taste Changes

I'm 28 and, up until 4 months ago, I despised celery and was puzzled to how anyone could stand it's revolting taste. Now,I would go so far as to say,I love it and get quite excited when I find it amungst a salad or meal. I'm not at he stage where I can eat it on it's own but as an acompanyment it rocks.

I find it curious how my taste can change so drastically.

I'm still waiting for my dislike of seafood to pass.

I find it incredibly bland, were it not for the crunch I wouldn't know I was eating it. I'm puzzled that you used to think it had a revolting taste when I can't reliably idnetify it by taste in a salad.

Olives are the classic maturity food. Kids usually can't stand them but most older people like them so everybody has a transition.

I used to really like dark rye bread but oddly if I eat it now it rapidly gives me severe hiccups. Very strange.

I'm 28 and, up until 4 months ago, I despised celery and was puzzled to how anyone could stand it's revolting taste. Now,I would go so far as to say,I love it and get quite excited when I find it amungst a salad or meal. I'm not at he stage where I can eat it on it's own but as an acompanyment it rocks.

Fascinating. Do you like beetroot?

What I find interesting is how some people react when you tell them you don't like something. For example I absolutely loathe mushrooms, LOATHE them.

On many occasions I have mentioned this to people - not professional mushroom tasters, or half man-half-mushroom, or people cooking me a mushroom stuffed mushroom with a wild mushroom and mushroom coulis, just people in totally non-mushroom related environments. Their reaction though is as if I said I wanted to shit in their dead Grandmothers mouths.

Edit: To change the 'm' in mushroom to lower case to better indicate my contempt for the little shits.

celery is great fried up with onions as the start of a stew/chilli/bolog./curry

it freezes well to for cooking

vile fresh, horrible taste, tastes like random green stuff from the countryside you're not supposed to eat in the firstplace

What I find interesting is how some people react when you tell them you don't like something. For example I absolutely loathe mushrooms, LOATHE them.

On many occasions I have mentioned this to people - not professional mushroom tasters, or half man-half-mushroom, or people cooking me a mushroom stuffed mushroom with a wild mushroom and mushroom coulis, just people in totally non-mushroom related environments. Their reaction though is as if I said I wanted to shit in their dead Grandmothers mouths.

Edit: To change the 'm' in mushroom to lower case to better indicate my contempt for the little shits.

beelzebub!

I've recently rediscovered beetroot after at least a decade of abstention.

Years ago..... wife phones doctor... "It's my daughter, her pee's bright red".... "Has she been eating beetroot?"...... :lol:

I really like celery on its own. Quite happy to sit around gnawing on it.

Absolutely hate tasting it in other things like pasta sauces.

There are very few things I dislike but celery is right up there. Can't bear it on it's own or with anything else.

I really like celery on its own. Quite happy to sit around gnawing on it.

Absolutely hate tasting it in other things like pasta sauces.

eating raw celery is very bourgeois you know...

Guest happy?

I'm still waiting for the seafood to pass - gives me constipation.

My god: I laughed so hard at that mushroom post.

I love crinkle-cut pickled beetroot but I don't see the point in beetroot that isn't of the pickled variety, tis far too bland.

I've only just noticed my obsession with the veg because the site I'm working on has a superb canteen where you help yourself to the salad and I was gutted to be the one that got the last of the celery.

Another example is that I hated lasagne when I was a kid but it's madness because it is now my favorite dinner.

Taste, Celery ?

Have I missed something.

Celery is lovely with a sprinkling of salt in the middle... delish!It's also supposed to be good for the male libido....

I already have a high sex drive but I suppose you can't have too much of a good thing ;p

as for celeriac, I used it once in a dish I made years ago and I remember it being quite nice. I had never seen or heard if it before and the only reason I bought it was because it was reduced to some stupidly low price.

eating raw celery is very bourgeois you know...

If I recall, celery is the only food which take more energy to ingest than it provides?

A proper nasty vegetable, make no mistake about it; I wouldn't be surprised if it's inolved in BTL.

What are your views on celeriac?

Heaven. A perfect addition to potato mash. You have to boil it a bit longer than potato though, so start with it first and cut it into smaller bits. A ratio of 1/3rd celeriac and 2/3rds potato works well. (Then add butter, milk, salt, onion salt, white pepper, parmesan or whatever else takes your fancy.)

Sudden change in tastes?

My guess is that you are pregnant.

As a kid, I was a very fussy eater indeed. I wouldn't touch anything with tomatoes in apart from ketchup, for example. Now I love a bit of bolognaise, but raw tomatoes still make me retch. And as for Celery- absolutely hateful, disgusting stuff. I'm 30 now, and I can't see myself ever growing to like it.

Put an Andouillette on my plate and I'll wolf it down :) . It's only nasty vegetables that put me off.

I can't understand all the negativity towards the humble stick of celery. I really enjoy it and find it the perfect snack particularly with some white pepper and salad cream.

I can understand the mushroom vitriol, it took me almost ten years to eat any kind of mushroom after eating raw magic ones in my late teens.

I can't understand all the negativity towards the humble stick of celery. I really enjoy it and find it the perfect snack particularly with some white pepper and salad cream.

I can understand the mushroom vitriol, it took me almost ten years to eat any kind of mushroom after eating raw magic ones in my late teens.

Anyone that chooses white pepper over black is clearly insane.

Anyone that chooses white pepper over black is clearly insane.

They both have their places, but white pepper is the best.