House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
moonriver

Northern Rock

but you can only save up to £3250 in it, at up to £250 per month.

Looks like everyone with the big money will of withdrawn from NR now they are taking away the guarantees for over £50,000, so maybe they are aiming for the smaller savers? Or young savers, because it is available for over 14's.

http://www.northernrock.co.uk/savings/branch-and-postal-accounts/fixed-rate-regular-saver_issue1/index.asp?utm_source=swf_b1_fom

Looks like everyone with the big money will of withdrawn from NR now they are taking away the guarantees for over £50,000, so maybe they are aiming for the smaller savers? Or young savers, because it is available for over 14's.

http://www.northernrock.co.uk/savings/branch-and-postal-accounts/fixed-rate-regular-saver_issue1/index.asp?utm_source=swf_b1_fom

I've been expecting this.

I've moved every pennt over 200K I had with them recently and im guessing everyone has been doing the same.

They will now be short of funds and will start offering good deals.

I doubt they will collapse as they must be one of the safer banks now but they must be s**ting themselves.

I've been expecting this.

I've moved every pennt over 200K I had with them recently and im guessing everyone has been doing the same.

They will now be short of funds and will start offering good deals.

I doubt they will collapse as they must be one of the safer banks now but they must be s**ting themselves.

Where did you move your money to? I have around £140K in the Nationwide, locked in until August. I really need to spread it around differnt banks me thinks? Thanks

Where did you move your money to? I have around £140K in the Nationwide, locked in until August. I really need to spread it around differnt banks me thinks? Thanks

I moved it to several different banks + building societies.

I doubt any of them are very safe and the interest rates are shocking but what can you do.

I'll be interested to see what deals NR come up with in the next month tho :-)

I'm glad I "ran" early though, just in case.

I doubt any of them are very safe and the interest rates are shocking but what can you do.

Thanks Thecountof nowhere. Getting really nervous having so much money in one institution. Wondering wherther to wait until the end of August or move it now and lose the 2.5% net interest.

I put some money in NSI direct saver for safety aspect, only 2% interest though. :rolleyes:

My man at the bank sent me this after I moaned about rates (again)

3 month Fixed Deposit account at 0.80%, 6 months offering 0.92% and 12 months at 1.37%. Please note that these rates are subject to change of a daily basis

I suspect I'm going to move some money shortly - just very very lazy

I put some money in NSI direct saver for safety aspect, only 2% interest though. :rolleyes:

I've put a wedge in NS&I index linked saving certificates, currently getting the eqivalent of about 10% APR !!!

Ok if the government doesnt go pop, and you dont mind locking your money away.

I wouldnt be so worried about the nationwide, the rest of them though not so sure.

I had money in HBOS and was getting very nervous and took it out the day befoer the collapse. I lost about 120 quid and the lad behind the counter asked why i was cashing in early. I said I feared his bank was about to collapse and I wanted my money out. He laughed. Next day......boom....I laughed, all the way from the bank.

So I think you might get a bit of warning if nationwide was struggling, e.g. massine increase in rates to attract savers.

Just like NR did after they collapsed.

Edited by TheCountOfNowhere

I had a good innings with NR. A couple of years with a few 100K Sterling yielding 6 or 7% and two excellent years of a similar sum in Euros yielding 4.5% B).

That's all over now. Sterling is mostly in NS&I (3.95%) and Euros are in a (hopefully safe) European bank yielding a measly 1% :(.

Never mind, I had a good innings and rates will hopefully be going up soon.

One thing is certain, I have no desire whatsoever to put the money into property or shares. Liquidity is of paramount importance and I can live with a year or two of modest real term losses.

I had money in HBOS and was getting very nervous and took it out the day befoer the collapse. I lost about 120 quid and the lad behind the counter asked why i was cashing in early. I said I feared his bank was about to collapse and I wanted my money out. He laughed. Next day......boom....I laughed, all the way from the bank.

Blimey, I must have missed this. How much money did retail depositors lose in HBOS?

With relatively few NR branches, it's a shame this requires applicants to visit a branch to open the account.

Blimey, I must have missed this. How much money did retail depositors lose in HBOS?

At the current rate it's about 90K per household we all owe to keep it going !!!!

The next collapsed bank/country wont be so lucky.