House Price Crash Forum

As they got their right to strike back BA strike: Ban lifted by High Court who would

be stupid enough to fly with British Airways.

Unite's success means a series of five-day strikes will start on Monday unless an agreement can be found.

Fly with anyone who isn't on strike, or berate yourself for choosing an airline who warned everyone they were going on strike no matter what

prior to today and who also warned passengers back several months ago.

Edited by Northwest Smith

Fly with anyone who isn't on strike, or berate yourself for choosing an airline who warned everyone they were going on strike no matter what

Have only ever had good experiences with BA. I think they rate highly for customer experience, particularly in cattle class where the every little bit counts. Ever since all this nonsense started I decided not to fly with them, so yes, they must be losing customers.

I don't understand why Unite and the employees are so determined to bring the entire company down. Maybe they're all MEW'd to the hilt?

As they got their right to strike back BA strike: Ban lifted by High Court who would

be stupid enough to fly with British Airways.

agreed, I dont think they have much, if any public support, I understand Willie Walsh's point of view, he is only a man tying to run a profitable business, and with the competition nowadays i think he has a hell of a challenge on his hands anyway.

the truth is, if the crew dont like it they can leave.. thats how the company i work for does so well, very cut throat, our money is not bad, but we dont get paid vacations or pensions, and we all work 70hrs a week, I work for Carnival Cruise line, we are employed by a Hong Kong employment agency to avoid all employment laws in the UK, but still its my choice to work there and the truth is im not a slave, if Im not happy I can leave. my choice, forget about strikes.( I even have a clause in my contract saying we cannot form a union otherwise we are on breach of our contact and will be dismissed.

we live in a different age than the 1970's, especially with the European Union, this means there are millions people waiting to step into the job of a B.A cabin stewerdess, they offer no special or unique skills to I dont see why they shouldnt be replaced for a lower cost work force.

(Sorry if I have upset any B.A crew but deep down you know its true)

Have only ever had good experiences with BA. I think they rate highly for customer experience, particularly in cattle class where the every little bit counts. Ever since all this nonsense started I decided not to fly with them, so yes, they must be losing customers.

I don't understand why Unite and the employees are so determined to bring the entire company down. Maybe they're all MEW'd to the hilt?

Conversely, I've only ever had bad experiences with B.A. The staff are shocking, arrogant beyond belief, unhelpful and rude.

Any other airline i've flown have been a joy in comparison...apart from maybe Delta.

I, for one, dont think they, like the banks, are worth saving.

Only a matter of time till they are looking for a government bailout...this'll be why they think they can do this...too big to fail...not this time buster...as the man says....there's no money left.

Conversely, I've only ever had bad experiences with B.A. The staff are shocking, arrogant beyond belief, unhelpful and rude.

Any other airline i've flown have been a joy in comparison...apart from maybe Delta.

I, for one, dont think they, like the banks, are worth saving.

Only a matter of time till they are looking for a government bailout...this'll be why they think they can do this...too big to fail...not this time buster...as the man says....there's no money left.

+1

The only airline I have flown with where I have experienced arrogant cabin crew is on a BA flight.

And it seems that arrogance is going to be thier downfall, shame really they used to have such a good reputation.

Free air travel as a perk seems wrong in these days of environmental concern.

but how can a company operate making such a big loss?

How does it work? Is it borrowing money (Alarm bells should ring as they have a pension deficit too don't they?) or are they gobbling up their savings?

And if their business model is such that they don't seem concerned to be making a huge loss then why? Is it salaries to the top execs taking money from the company?

agreed, I dont think they have much, if any public support, I understand Willie Walsh's point of view, he is only a man tying to run a profitable business, and with the competition nowadays i think he has a hell of a challenge on his hands anyway.

the truth is, if the crew dont like it they can leave.. thats how the company i work for does so well, very cut throat, our money is not bad, but we dont get paid vacations or pensions, and we all work 70hrs a week, I work for Carnival Cruise line, we are employed by a Hong Kong employment agency to avoid all employment laws in the UK, but still its my choice to work there and the truth is im not a slave, if Im not happy I can leave. my choice, forget about strikes.( I even have a clause in my contract saying we cannot form a union otherwise we are on breach of our contact and will be dismissed.

we live in a different age than the 1970's, especially with the European Union, this means there are millions people waiting to step into the job of a B.A cabin stewerdess, they offer no special or unique skills to I dont see why they shouldnt be replaced for a lower cost work force.

(Sorry if I have upset any B.A crew but deep down you know its true)

I agree but there are a lot of posters with the opinion that people has a right to strike, I prefer to think they have a right to walk away but that doesn't seem good enough for them

With the results out today they should be lucky they still have a job IMHO.

Losing half a billion quid (plus that doesn't include the recent Volcano crisis), it is hardly like BA is rolling in it and treating their staff like dirt.

I would never fly BA while there is a threat of industrial action, they are losing cutomers left right and centre and yet the unions are still fighting. It seems just like all industrial action of the 70s and if you look, none of those companies exist anymore, don't people ever learn?

I agree but there are a lot of posters with the opinion that people has a right to strike, I prefer to think they have a right to walk away but that doesn't seem good enough for them

With the results out today they should be lucky they still have a job IMHO.

Losing half a billion quid (plus that doesn't include the recent Volcano crisis), it is hardly like BA is rolling in it and treating their staff like dirt.

I would never fly BA while there is a threat of industrial action, they are losing cutomers left right and centre and yet the unions are still fighting. It seems just like all industrial action of the 70s and if you look, none of those companies exist anymore, don't people ever learn?

Of course they have a right to strike, OUT BROTHERS OUT, teach that Willy Walsh a lesson, he'll be laughing on the other side of his face when we bankrupt the company and his empire comes crashing down, and then we'll.........................oh :unsure:

don't people ever learn?

They think they'll get bailed out by the state like JAL has been (3 times).

What is likely to happen is they almost go bust and somebody else decides to snap them up like air italia and replaces the crews entirely

They think they'll get bailed out by the state like JAL has been (3 times).

What is likely to happen is they almost go bust and somebody else decides to snap them up like air italia and replaces the crews entirely

Great, I'll have some respect for them getting rid of these spoungers who want to strike while their company is losing money

Of course they have a right to strike, OUT BROTHERS OUT, teach that Willy Walsh a lesson, he'll be laughing on the other side of his face when we bankrupt the company and his empire comes crashing down, and then we'll.........................oh :unsure:

Yep.... but we won!!!!

Fu**ing idiots

A club ticket to LAX in early June on BA while the strike is a threat costs 6.6k. Biz on AF is 2.2k.

It is not just the Heathrow cabin crew who are insane.

Er . . . as your union convenor lets have a show of hands for taking industrial action against this thread.

Right, by a unanimous vote I ask everyone to put down their keyboards and gather outside at the entrance to this thread with the usual placards to chant the usual slogans like we did last week, and the week before and the week before that and . . . .

(continued page 94)

Edited by Dave Spart

Only the media cares. Lots of BA staff don't care.

From what I can make out it is simply all the old-timers trying to hold on to their perks.

If I recall rightly did the Heathrow BA staff fail to support BA staff in the rest of the UK when the rest of the UK went on to the current contract and lost their previous gravy plane deals? In their arrogance assuming such important folk at the main hub would be untouchable and it would be different this time?

I have a flight booked with BA for the 18th June to South Africa. :(

Booked middle of 2009 (Before the world cup draw and well before I saw any news of this dispute)

I recently got stuck in Tenerife for 5 days due to Volcanic ash....

Do ya feel lucky punk? Well do ya?

Nah, not really...

I have planned the most glorious road trip zig zagging South Africa chasing the beautiful game.... Once in a lifetime trip and have secured tickets for Brazil v Ivory Coast, England V Slovenia and two knock out stage games..... The routes we have chosen are among the finest scenary in the country....

Fingers crossed :)

I had the option of BA for my flight to the US on 18th June, but remembering how the union has been, I chose to fly American instead.

For the same reason, my flight to HKG in August is with Virgin, not BA.

:rolleyes:

Free air travel as a perk seems wrong in these days of environmental concern.

but how can a company operate making such a big loss?

How does it work? Is it borrowing money (Alarm bells should ring as they have a pension deficit too don't they?) or are they gobbling up their savings?

And if their business model is such that they don't seem concerned to be making a huge loss then why? Is it salaries to the top execs taking money from the company?

BA have or had 1.7bn in the bank from previous years, unfortunately this was ear marked for aircraft replacement, as their aircraft are getting old, and their engines are less fuel efficient than newer models.

So they are probably digging it out of this, problem is if they dig out of this then they can't afford new aircraft or engines which means their cost base increases yet again meaning they are buggered eihter way.

The staff are bound to win in the end. It's not as if there are any other airlines they can choose. Oh hang on...

Nevermind, there's plenty of other airlines they can go and work for with better pay and conditions. Oh hang on...

On R5 yesterday they had a discussion on the strike and had the ex head of the cabin crew union on (BA sacked him).

The head of the union was very plain what the strike is now about, he said "We have to have the discount travel back because we have thousands of members that commute to Heathrow from Europe and America, they are now paying in excess of a thousand pounds to get to work." (I would imagine that is the US based commuters).

The strike is now about two egos Wille Walsh and Tony Woodley. Willie Walsh told the staff that the ones that strike would lose the travel perk (that is a non contractual perk at the request of the union because if it was contractual it would be taxed as a benefit in kind). Tony Woodley said trust me brothers BA will cave in on this and you will not lose the travel perks.

A perfect impasse with neither going to back down.

I think that BA are just going to let it go on until the Cabin Crew that are commuting have no savings left and have to resign as they can not afford to go to work. BA gets rid of the majority of the militant cabin crew implements new deal and in effect breaks the Heathrow cabin crew union.

Er . . . as your union convenor lets have a show of hands for taking industrial action against this thread.

Right, by a unanimous vote I ask everyone to put down their keyboards and gather outside at the entrance to this thread with the usual placards to chant the usual slogans like we did last week, and the week before and the week before that and . . . .

(continued page 94)

MAGGIE! MAGGIE! MAGGIE! OUT! OUT! OUT!

MAGGIE! OUT!

MAGGIE! OUT!

...oh, hang on...