House Price Crash Forum
Pent Up

Anyone Watching Lll?

poor young couple being pushed into spending more than they can afford by the two property rampers! It's a nice house for 190k. I'd love that in Essex, but it's 10k more than they can afford.

But hold on! They can just borrow 10k more! Problem solved. Everyones a winner!

My favorite quote from krusty "we have a duty of care to these people"

Borrowing another 10k is only £50 a month and who needs toilet paper or food when you own a house!

Yes, that young fella looked petrified at the thought of taking on a mortgage he wasn't sure he could afford.

I heard on Working Lunch today that Kirstie was acting as a housing advisor with Eric Pickles today. Heaven help us. :rolleyes:

Yes, that young fella looked petrified at the thought of taking on a mortgage he wasn't sure he could afford.

I heard on Working Lunch today that Kirstie was acting as a housing advisor with Eric Pickles today. Heaven help us. :rolleyes:

Yes, I felt really sorry for the poor guy. He could obviously see that they could not really afford the place but he had to contend with Krusty and his over excited wife battering him into submission. In the end I thought them lucky to not get it.

It annoys me about how patronising they get the moment someone seems to be questioning whether spending so much money on a house (and then still going over budget) is a good idea. I would have been nice to see them mull over the real positives and negatives of the situation - What if IRs' go up a couple of % could these two really afford it?

I hope for their sakes everything goes ok, he seemed like a decent enough guy just looking for somewhere to live but reluctant to overstretch himself to do that.

What if IRs' go up a couple of % could these two really afford it?

That's what I thought, at one point one of the presenters mentioned that the additional 10k they needed for one particular property was going to be an extra 50 quid a month which took it out of their range... how do they know they'll never need an extra 50 poxy quid a month over the 25 year term of the mortgage? And what if petrol goes up a penny a litre? An extra 50 quid a month and they're scuppered? That's some stretch... they can't afford it. And the woman is talking about starting a family as well? how on earth will that work?

Another young couple that simply can't afford to live.

But that is the tragedy. He clearly had his head screwed on and had done the Maths - £35K deposit, able to afford £190K, that means £155K mortgage. Maybe his income is £45K? Maybe that's joint income.

Her body clock was clearly ticking. How sad that a reasonably off couple of late twenties, early thirties are stuck in this way...

Yes, I felt really sorry for the poor guy. He could obviously see that they could not really afford the place but he had to contend with Krusty and his over excited wife battering him into submission. In the end I thought them lucky to not get it.

Was it a bit like this?

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=Ubsd-tWYmZw

Or more like this?

Edited by okaycuckoo

How sad that a reasonably off couple of late twenties, early thirties are stuck in this way...

Tell me about it. I have approx the Preston couple's budget but I live in the other couple's area, less than 10 min walk to Hale or Alt centres - renting obviously :lol:

My favorite quote from krusty "we have a duty of care to these people"

Borrowing another 10k is only £50 a month and who needs toilet paper or food when you own a house!

Lol! :D

That's what I thought, at one point one of the presenters mentioned that the additional 10k they needed for one particular property was going to be an extra 50 quid a month which took it out of their range... how do they know they'll never need an extra 50 poxy quid a month over the 25 year term of the mortgage? And what if petrol goes up a penny a litre? An extra 50 quid a month and they're scuppered? That's some stretch... they can't afford it. And the woman is talking about starting a family as well? how on earth will that work?

maybe Phil should have added the benefit of his own experience about only an extra £50 per month.

that £50 helped Phil's property firm to the bankruptcy court.

maybe Phil should have added the benefit of his own experience about only an extra £50 per month.

that £50 helped Phil's property firm to the bankruptcy court.

Yes, not a great advert for investment advice is he?!

Only watched it last night cos it was round where I live. Noticed at the end both presenters were quite clear in telling the EA they DID NOT HAVE THE ASKING PRICE. They put in substantially lower offers (Hale couples being rejected). Now, this might be par for the course on recent LLL's, but surprised me having not watched it for a while. Could this be a indication of the change coming in the nations attitudes ? ie always undercut the asking price... Only need a few episodes of this behaviour for it to become the "normal" thing to do (and expect)...

Do go and leave a comment on the C4 website for a laugh - here's mine

"What a highly responsible attitude shown by Kirsty and the wife of the Preston couple. Get on the ladder at all costs. That stingy young man who worried unnecessarily about the prospect of taking on £160,000 of debt on an overpriced asset should grow up.

After all, this decision will see him sign up for a lifetime of slavery so that him and his wife can help perpetuate the insane house price inflation for just that little bit longer. Certainly just long enough for those at the top of the chain to take their profits out of the market and get a ridiculous price at the expense of those who have been duped by the media mantra that high house prices are somehow a good thing. "

Edited by Frugal Git

Only watched it last night cos it was round where I live. Noticed at the end both presenters were quite clear in telling the EA they DID NOT HAVE THE ASKING PRICE. They put in substantially lower offers (Hale couples being rejected). Now, this might be par for the course on recent LLL's, but surprised me having not watched it for a while. Could this be a indication of the change coming in the nations attitudes ? ie always undercut the asking price... Only need a few episodes of this behaviour for it to become the "normal" thing to do (and expect)...

But don't forget their "bearish" tactics failed, maybe that was the message?

No-one has mentioned what I would consider to be a bigger change. In the past, the LLL mantra has been get on the ladder, build equity and move your way up to the dream property.

Last mnight 'Pip' explicitly stated that "The winner of snakes and ladders (i.e. does best in houses) is the player who throws the dice the least number of times." SO he was effectly throwing the property ladder out the window on the basis that transaction costs are too high and go for the property you want not work up to it.

This would be sage advice from any HPCer although it would seem we disagree on the price you should pay. When any of those Hale houses get down to £200K I'll be spoilt for choice, not complaining about direction the garden points.

Yes, not a great advert for investment advice is he?!

Of course he is and of course that house was worth £450K. No wonders he's bankrupt.

Edited by daiking

I wanted to know why Crusty needed to go down the M62 from Chorley to Hale.

Wide road restrictions on other routes?

:)

Watched it and loved it. Not shouted at the tv for so long since ... erm probably a couple of days actually, but really enjoyed watching annoyingly stupid people buy a house.

Love the idea people having a baby want to be near bars and shops. Cos they got their priorities right.

Love the idea people having a baby want to be near bars and shops. Cos they got their priorities right.

Not as daft as it sounds, yummy mummies love to meet up at the local coffee places, there's that baby shop on the main road(I don't think they actually sell babies) and there's a load of central places that do baby and toddler groups, the library is just off the main road for instance. And parking costs 10p for 2 hours behind the co-op.

My wife loves it :)

Not as daft as it sounds, yummy mummies love to meet up at the local coffee places, there's that baby shop on the main road(I don't think they actually sell babies) and there's a load of central places that do baby and toddler groups, the library is just off the main road for instance. And parking costs 10p for 2 hours behind the co-op.

My wife loves it :)

but but, £50 overspend means she will have just to sit at the window and watch the world go by from the front room.

My favourite Krusty episode is when a well-off couple were advised to bid the maximum they afford for a renovation project. Then won the bid.

The EA mistakenly sent a copy of the bids to the above couple who then noticed they had bit £100K more than anyone else. They withdrew leaving Krusty looking stupid.

It's easy to increase an offer when someone else is paying.

VMR.

I've watched both episodes of this series :rolleyes: , all four couples have been renters looking to buy, I assume that the production team only pick people who are not depending on selling an existing property. But even though all were non chain buyers, none managed to negotiate any real discount on the asking price.

Someone posted in another thread the view that prices at the bottom of the market (flats especially) might easily drop 50% but at the middle (3 bedrooms or more, good area, older property) prices will not fall much but volumes will be negligable. On a very small sample LLL supports this view.

I've watched both episodes of this series :rolleyes: , all four couples have been renters looking to buy, I assume that the production team only pick people who are not depending on selling an existing property. But even though all were non chain buyers, none managed to negotiate any real discount on the asking price.

Someone posted in another thread the view that prices at the bottom of the market (flats especially) might easily drop 50% but at the middle (3 bedrooms or more, good area, older property) prices will not fall much but volumes will be negligable. On a very small sample LLL supports this view.

LLL isn't about haggling and saying "take it or leave it". It's about falling in love with a property and paying near the full whack. It's about getting a result to please an audience in 1 hour of TV drivel.

They should do a show where obnoxious "The Apprentice" contestants go around haggling on buying houses to get 25%-50% off asking. That would be a show I'd watch.

LLL isn't about haggling and saying "take it or leave it".

I agree, but my point is not that the buyers didn't haggle, it is that the vendors were not interested in selling at anything but the asking price, or very close to it