House Price Crash Forum

Huge Explosion Of New Properties On Rightmove

We certainly haven't seen a bloody thing yet - where I live.

Have I got to move up North to get a house at a decent price? I have often thought about this ... but, given that Northerners seem to hate Southerners, I always find myself thinking ... 300 miles North or 300 miles South to the Vendee?

No brainer!!! Bon Voyage :)

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Perhaps some of you should read a newspaper rather than just speculate on how the way the housing market works ?

Some of the theories above are indicative of how out of touch some people actually are on this site. Read more, instead of just hoping to be able to afford a house because you deserve it.

The Capital Gains Tax on second homes is being increased to 40% as announced by the new government.

BTL holders will be selling in droves. It's a major story in those old-fashioned things called Newspapers.

I read the Express everyday - I know exactly how the market works thank you very much... ;)

I really hope so.

Got a letter from my letting agent demanding an increase in my rent. I would not mind so much but they have been more than useless and I still have a hole in my kitchen ceiling due to a leaking roof that has been that way for about three months now.

I really hope you are right, these greedy t*ssers need put back where they belong (repossesed and bankrupted with any luck and forced to rent from equally questionable agents/LL's)

You need a landlord like the new one in my village. House bought in February for £237,000 and now up for rent at £695pcm. That's a 3.5% gross margin assuming they get a tenant all 12 months of the year at the asking rent.

With landlord's that generous who needs to buy ? :P

How long do they have to avoid the CGT increase?

We don't know yet. The two most likely dates are budget day and 5th April 2011. I hope it is 5th April because it gives people enough time to properly panic-sell their property. Also having two different CGT rates in one year would be very complex to work out, and having lots of panic sale CGT receipts at 18% would likely raise more money than a few CGT receipts at 40%.

We don't know yet. The two most likely dates are budget day and 5th April 2011. I hope it is 5th April because it gives people enough time to properly panic-sell their property. Also having two different CGT rates in one year would be very complex to work out, and having lots of panic sale CGT receipts at 18% would likely raise more money than a few CGT receipts at 40%.

It would have to be immediate.

Or wee Georgie's first act as chancellor will be blamed for crashing the housing market by repeating the mistakes of the past and pre-announcing tax changes.

If it's Apr 2011, I'll take that as a sign that they are trying to engineer the crash, an immediate increase would indicate that it's just a revenue issue (fair taxes and all that good stuff) rather than a direct attempt to induce HPC.

Although it will help HPC anyway. :)

An update on this.... 5 days after the above, there are now 798 properties within 5 miles of me. This is not including Sold STC. So, at this key selling time of the year, stock is rising...

I know a few people quaking in their boots about the suggested CGT rises, many living in their own BTL properties and writing off mortgage interest tax relief that is afforded by the BTL mortgage disguise.

Surely 20% ;) and the Excess can continue its 'house prices are rocketting' stories propaganda. And the sad thing is the kite fliers will really believe they are being realistic. I will guarantee that next month the BBC announce that house prices have staged a remarkable recovery with prices rising by say 3% in the last month.

Pardon my ignorance, but does the BBC not use something more substantial than asking prices? (E.g. lenders' valuation surveys or, better, land registry data.)

I've genuinely seen more hosues in the last few weeks, but there's also one trend to look out for.

Some agencies, perhaps realising that all new listings get sent out in e-mails have recently taken to re-lisitng their entire stock.

Statons in North London did it about 10 days back and it threw me completely, and irritatingly cleared all the propertly bee stats for a couple of houses I've been watching for ages

Guest The Relaxation Suite

I'll add to this thread that a town I follow which has had about 20 - 25 houses on it for the last two years now has 40 houses on it (including many of the 25 that have been for sale for years). One property on there has just re-appeared after a six month absence. It's a three bedroom semi in poor condition throughout with a very ropey garden. Up for 235k when on before (2008/2009) now up for 245k after six month absence.

My best estimate based on nearby sales is that 215k would have been an ambitious price pre-crash, and that it should have been marketed post-crash for more like 175, tops. A more realistic price today would probably be around the 190k mark absolute tops and accept high 170,000s maybe. But it's still 235,000, of course.

Deduce what you may from that!

Edited by Tecumseh

Poole is still pumping onto the market

last 24 hrs - 70 (thats the most I've ever seen)

Last 3 days - 176

Last 7 days - 295

Last 14 days - 555

Another month of two of this and the whole of Poole will be on the market :lol::lol:

This is all good news that new listings are increasing but TBH I think people should monitor the actual amount of stock on the Market to get a better indicator. It's no good if 500 new properties a day are being listed and 600 a day are selling!