House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

fellow

Scientist Create Synthetic Living Cell

Guest anorthosite

Until they produce it from the raw chemicals, it doesn't count. The thermodynamics of how it first came about is the missing link in our knowledge IMHO.

Until they produce it from the raw chemicals, it doesn't count. The thermodynamics of how it first came about is the missing link in our knowledge IMHO.

Yes, this is closer to crossing two dogs and saying they've created a new species.

Yes, this is closer to crossing two dogs and saying they've created a new species.

Yeah, but, yeah, right, have you ever seen dogs shagging?

Not quite. They built the genome from scratch, if I understand the article correctly. Guaranteed someone will unleash a nightmare with this sort of technology. Over and above the accidents, just imagine the sorts of weapons grade targetted bacteria they'll be able to make.

After 18 years as a scientiest, I decided I was proud to be a Luddite.

Not quite. They built the genome from scratch, if I understand the article correctly. Guaranteed someone will unleash a nightmare with this sort of technology. Over and above the accidents, just imagine the sorts of weapons grade targetted bacteria they'll be able to make.

Possibly but probably not. I'm still waiting for our robot overlords to show themselves.

All the gene printing machines are fairly tightly controlled as is the genetic sequence of known nasty things.

If you try ordering an anthrax gene over the internet it won't be fed ex knocking at your door a few days later but you will get a free holiday in guantanamo for your troubles.

If you decided to design your own nasty super killer genome from scratch that was totally unique so as to avoid being detectable, it would probably be cheaper and easier to start a nuclear program.

Have to trust nature on this one, as in 'Nature has been coming up with nasty bugs for several billion years and hasn't wiped us out yet'. But not entirely reassuring.

OTOH, the Daily Mail hates it, so it must be ok.

Have to trust nature on this one, as in 'Nature has been coming up with nasty bugs for several billion years and hasn't wiped us out yet'. But not entirely reassuring.

OTOH, the Daily Mail hates it, so it must be ok.

But this could be used to create a bug that targets a single race of people, for example. Very scary.

All the gene printing machines are fairly tightly controlled as is the genetic sequence of known nasty things.

If you try ordering an anthrax gene over the internet it won't be fed ex knocking at your door a few days later but you will get a free holiday in guantanamo for your troubles.

Depends who you work for... You reckon the US military doesn't already invest heavily in Venter?

Yeah, but these nasty sets of genes come up in isolation in populations where survival of the fittest controls the landscape. Just imagine what you can do if you can leap over fitness deserts to the isolated peak that you want. Nature has come up with a lot of bugs that have killed a lot of people before nature got control: the plague, Spanish flu, smallpox, malaria. Put a few brains behind it and you could get something really nasty.

Given what has gone on with GM, in particular the Arpad Pusztai affair, the commercialization of this stuff will be pushed through with little thought of the possible accidents. This guy was a fellow of the Royal Soc. of Edinburgh and the world expert on lectins and had a large grant for coming up with a protocol for the testing of GM foods at the time the affair hit the headlines, though you wouldn't have known that from what was said about him in the media at the time and how quickly his 35 year career at the Rowett Institute was ended. That can only have been by political influence, and regardless of the validity of his claims, should be cause for concern.

I read a book a couple of weeks ago which looked at the few concerning studies/reports that have been done on GM food. (Genetic Roulette, by J.M. Smith) Some of it is quite scary stuff, and all too familiar. What's disturbing is that I know some of the people involved (on the "dark side") and their behaviour as described matches my dealings with them, so I find that part of the book entirely credible. However, as per usual, there are counter arguments to Smith's claims.

http://academicsreview.org/reviewed-content/genetic-roulette/

but even quick perusal of the rebuttal shows the same sort of tactics that Smith is accused of, i.e. distorting the facts to paint a certain picture.

Sigh! I despair. So much information out there, but the sources are so tendentious that you cannot trust any of it. Who knows what the truth is, but it is enough to put me off GM soya products until I do some more research.