House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

geoffk

Will It Get As Bad As Last Time With A Military Coup

In the 1970s very senior military officers and members of the royal family where planning a coup in this great so called democracy of ours..

Will things get as bad again and as people take to the streets leading to rioting because they feel certain sections of our society are being let off from the pain we are feeling and still getting massive bonuses..

I am sure the plans are gathering dust as we speak but will they be peaked at or read with relish....

It really is going to be interesting times that's for sure

Guest X-QUORK

In the 1970s very senior military officers and members of the royal family where planning a coup in this great so called democracy of ours..

Will things get as bad again and as people take to the streets leading to rioting because they feel certain sections of our society are being let off from the pain we are feeling and still getting massive bonuses..

I am sure the plans are gathering dust as we speak but will they be peaked at or read with relish....

You must be kidding. When our banking system nearly collapsed this country only managed to rally a couple of thousand demonstraters at the G20 summit.

Most people are happy enough with the new government for now, so I wouldn't expect to see carnage in the streets for a long while.

You must be kidding. When our banking system nearly collapsed this country only managed to rally a couple of thousand demonstraters at the G20 summit.

Most people are happy enough with the new government for now, so I wouldn't expect to see carnage in the streets for a long while.

Plus, the world cup starts in a couple of weeks!

In the 1970s very senior military officers and members of the royal family where planning a coup in this great so called democracy of ours.

Wasn't that specifically targeting Harold Wilson under the belief that Wilson was under Soviet influence? (link)

Lord Mountbatten was approached to be head of the new government but declined. He did not plan the coup and indeed, took no part in it. There's no mention that I can find of any other royal being involved, even to the peripheral extent that Mountbatten was.

We have regular coups in Britain; they are called elections.

Thats an interesting point. When the inevitable rebalancing of the books is no longer avoidable, when

people start loosing thier jobs in large numbers, when services start to be drastically cut and when taxes

rise precipitously, I think the cosy relationship between bankers, the rich and our political class will collapse:

our rulers will have noted the situation in Greece with interest, and will have concluded that they'll only carry

the public with them through an "age of austerity" if the public percieve that those that they percieve to have

caused the crisis in the first place (wether thats a fair perception isn't relevant..) are also suffering, and more

importantly, being punished.

At that point I think we'll see some very wealthy people being prosecuted for tax evasion, and bankers for fraud

as politicians offer up former friends as ritual sacrifices to quiet the baying mob.

Well, we can but hope :D

Wasn't that specifically targeting Harold Wilson under the belief that Wilson was under Soviet influence? (link)

No. If you have the opportunity to sit with a bunch of ex-counter intelligence officers and listen to the war stories, in between the hushed tones and the knowing remarks, a story emerges of just how close we came.

These guys are not given to flights of fantasy and more than one career was cut short when they stopped chasing the KGB and had to start chasing their own.

Guest X-QUORK

No. If you have the opportunity to sit with a bunch of ex-counter intelligence officers and listen to the war stories, in between the hushed tones and the knowing remarks, a story emerges of just how close we came.

These guys are not given to flights of fantasy and more than one career was cut short when they stopped chasing the KGB and had to start chasing their own.

For once I'm with the TFHers on this one. A member of my family was serving in the Air Force at the time and he had a very interesting chat to some Intelligence bloke on a long flight from somewhere. This guy was saying that they had a confirmed number of military officers on board who were willing to do whatever was required to get rid of Wilson.

So, this is one conspiracy theory with something in it IMO. :ph34r:

Lord Mountbatten was approached to be head of the new government but declined. He did not plan the coup and indeed, took no part in it. There's no mention that I can find of any other royal being involved, even to the peripheral extent that Mountbatten was.

correct.

I don't think there is much doubt NuLabour are indeed under soviet influence.They've been following 1950's battleplans pretty much to the letter.

I'm sure there are a few top brass who are aware of the situation and prepared to step in if necessary.

question is,if this is known about already in the higher echelons,are they just baiting the line?

...unpleasant though this stuff is,we may just have to stick it out.

But there is no harm in letting the opposition know that sneaky sneaky isn't working.

I think there is sufficient chatter from the usual sources to amount to evidence that there was not unserious discussion about a military coup to oust Wilson.

However, British insurance companies and pension funds stopped buying gilts to create the sterling crisis that led to Wilson's resignation, so the chips stayed up.

A very British coup?

Maybe.

As for the OP, there will never be a coup emanating from the upper echelons of the military against an old boy of Slough comprehensive, just not gonna happen.

I don't think there is much doubt NuLabour are indeed under soviet influence.....

Its posts like this that make this site so entertaining. Never before have so many mentally ill people been gathered in one place at one time. Truly funny.

Its posts like this that make this site so entertaining. Never before have so many mentally ill people been gathered in one place at one time. Truly funny.

You find mentally ill people entertaining, that;s a good start, and you voted for the "party" of course. Place him on 2nd Labour membership, for the time being.

I don't think most senior military men or members of the royal family are particularly interested in the state of Britain. Military men tend to be interested in things military and the royals are happy to stay out of things as long as their own wealth and priviliges aren't threatened.

Guest Noodle

You find mentally ill people entertaining, that;s a good start, and you voted for the "party" of course. Place him on 2nd Labour membership, for the time being.

I do.

There was this time, at band camp . . .