House Price Crash Forum
AskFrank

I Am Soo Tempted To Buy...

I can't see clearly at the moment... we have a baby on the way and I keep dreaming of doing up a baby bedroom.

Also, a couple turned up earlier to view the property next door to us, with a newborn baby! It just looked so right and I was wishing I was in their shoes :unsure:

Am I losing my marbles? If so please talk me out of it :)

I can't see clearly at the moment... we have a baby on the way and I keep dreaming of doing up a baby bedroom.

Also, a couple turned up earlier to view the property next door to us, with a newborn baby! It just looked so right and I was wishing I was in their shoes :unsure:

Bonkers mate.

You've got 4 years before you need to worry about schools. Junior will not give a flying as to where he/she is. Sit tight , relax and watch it all unwind.

Good luck with parenthood!!!!

Also, a couple turned up earlier to view the property next door to us, with a newborn baby! It just looked so right and I was wishing I was in their shoes unsure.gif

Am I losing my marbles? If so please talk me out of it smile.gif

You don't sound like the Frank Butcher I used to know... unsure.gif

Hard to say - but given your personal circs I would bestrongly inclined to buy. Then forget about house prices and just concentrate on your family.

Hard to say - but given your personal circs I would bestrongly inclined to buy. Then forget about house prices and just concentrate on your family.

You're having a chuffing laugh, surely! dry.gif

Then forget about house prices

Nice in theory....however...

How could you forget about house prices - if you realised the price you paid for yours was taking the mick ?

Very bad time to for two reasons. 1. Your decisions will be affected by your need to 'nest' (I know I have been in the same position)2. We are in for protracted uncertainty. Just rent, also remember you will be on one income for the next year or so.

Very bad time to for two reasons. 1. Your decisions will be affected by your need to 'nest' (I know I have been in the same position)2. We are in for protracted uncertainty. Just rent, also remember you will be on one income for the next year or so.

And have you seen the not so attractive tracker mortgages available at the moment? Worst of both worlds at the moment, expensive credit and still high house prices.

Nice rental properties are available, they will just take some seeking out.

Also - if you sign a reasonably long lease, which most landlords would be happy to do, there is nothing to stop you decorating the baby room, a tin of pain and some black out blinds are not going to come close to even a tiny fraction of the moving costs.

renting just fine with my family, thanks - and another one one the way.

Same here. Had both our children in rented.

BUT when the time came for schools, catchments etc, things changed. Nothing to rent even remotely close to a good school.

We were plain lucky to land a (what we consider) catch at a 2005 price with a 30% LTV x2 salary mortgage. Completed 2 months ago.

To those who flame those who seem to capitulate (I am one of them), circumstances are different for every family.

I thought this was a joke thread! Yes your losing your marbles.

Good call, with any luck the bank will forget to collect mortgage payments for the next 25 years.

Edit: I'd say buy if you can do it well within your means (e.g. 2x main earner mortgage) but otherwise forget about it for at least a couple of years

Edited by Dorkins

Very bad time to for two reasons. 1. Your decisions will be affected by your PARTNERS need to 'nest' (I know I have been in the same position)2. We are in for protracted uncertainty. Just rent, also remember you will be on one income for the next year or so.

Assuming the OP is male, I made a little change.

You are lucky she isn't climbing the walls by now.

renting just fine with my family, thanks - and another one one the way.

Congrats, just had some good news myself.

Rentings fine for us too. Even though we've moved twice since our first child in August 2008. (once on our own accord and once because the landlord wanted their house back)

Ok, so it's a bit of a pain having to move and has cost about £700 in moving and reference costs etc, though this is nothing compared to losing (30% min!) off the price you've paid, being screwed over rate rises and living in negative equity for years. This is just not worth satisfying the need to do up the spare room as a nursery.

DO NOT BUY NOW - YOUR FAMILY WILL NOT FORGIVE YOU FOR IT.

Edited by Reck B

We are just arriving at the money shot and you want to bail out at this point. :o

We have rented for all but the first 6 months of my first daughter life (approaching 4 now) and so far she seems pretty normal but who knows she may start sprouting a second head at any time.

If you can afford to pay off the loan over 10 years consider it.

Otherwise forget it.

Assuming the OP is male, I made a little change.

You are lucky she isn't climbing the walls by now.

:lol: Yup, I didn't want to assume though. TBH any decision made by a woman in her third Trimester is likely to be less than sensible. So buying a house should be the last thing on his mind.

So, you have lost your marbles? Now, just think about it; rising interest rates, public spending and wages being cut, the budget deficit inducing tax rises, house prices at almost twice the price against income compared to 15 years ago. Eurozone in financial meltdown; likely market crash. ERRRHHMMMMM! This is the worst time to buy a property in living memory. There is nothing inherently bad about renting. When it all hits the fan later in the year you can feel relieved you won't be stuck in negative equity unable to move to an area with a nice school in due course.

Does that help? Enjoy the family with less stress - rent!

DO NOT BUY NOW - YOUR FAMILY WILL NOT FORGIVE YOU FOR IT.

Mine forgave me (bought in April), but i bought them off with sandpits, slides and a soon to be tree house and new kitchen and redecoration. I have to say after living under the cloud of an idiot landlord i do much prefer owning (renting partially from the bank yes) and am really starting to enjoy DIY.

Renting is great when you don't have kids because you can just go down the pub and not worry about DIY. But its not great with kids. We're renting with 2 kids, but I'd rather own a place.

Renting is great when you don't have kids because you can just go down the pub and not worry about DIY. But its not great with kids. We're renting with 2 kids, but I'd rather own a place.

Is being deep in negative equity with rocketing interest rates better? :unsure:

When you can wallpaper an ABC border into the nursery, negative equity and rising interest rates fade into insignificance, apparently.

abc-border.jpg

My first baby Badger is due in just under 2 weeks. We're renting and loving it, having just decorated the 'nursery' and nesting big time.

I know just how you feel, but focus on parenthood and beware of envy and regret - that green grass on the other side is only astroturf.. Good luck!

You are losing your marbles, in a manner of speaking. What you've got is standard nesting anxiety, and it hits a lot of people who are having kids.

What you're craving is the symbolic security of owning property, but the problem is that to do that, you'd need to buy a property. That doesn't suddenly become a good idea just because you've got a baby coming. Financial imprudence because of deep emotional cravings isn't something you'll thank yourself for a few years down the line.

Well, if I could see into the future then yes, I might not buy. Then again, if I could see into the future I would probably have bought 16 months ago when everyone on here was saying much the same thing.