House Price Crash Forum
TheCountOfNowhere

What's The Current Feeling In Your Office ?

Back in the UK for a week.

The UK office I am in is very negative.

People are now acknowledging the problems the UK are facing and realise what a mess Labour has put us in.

Everyone is worried if they will have a job in 6 months.

Still some idiot buying a new house though :lol:

It's all very negative and doom and gloom.

Only yesterday someone was pointing out how the green shoots had changed to be recovery being set in to "we are all f**ked" news headlines.

What's everyone else seeing/hearing ?

Yep, doom and gloom in our office too. For quite a few months now a major topic of conversation has been how expensive it is just to live, and how rapidly livings costs have been going up. Most of us are part-time and we are all taking on extra jobs to make ends meet. The office is split 50/50 between homeowers and renters.

Our business has been doing better in the last year or so despite the recession but our suppliers costs have gone up over 100% so we're massively curtailing our budget and we are all a bit worried for our jobs.

None of us has any particular faith in the coalition, we were all angry at the election results, for varying reasons, and none of us has any hopes for it getting better - I get the impresson we are all holding our breath for the emergency budget to see how bad it is going to be.

Other than that we're a cheery bunch really :)

I live in the Northeast so, people have their heads firmly stuck in the sand. Labour psychophants.

...surely it's seeping through .... :rolleyes:

Edited by South Lorne

Yep, doom and gloom in our office too. For quite a few months now a major topic of conversation has been how expensive it is just to live, and how rapidly livings costs have been going up. Most of us are part-time and we are all taking on extra jobs to make ends meet. The office is split 50/50 between homeowers and renters.

Our business has been doing better in the last year or so despite the recession but our suppliers costs have gone up over 100% so we're massively curtailing our budget and we are all a bit worried for our jobs.

None of us has any particular faith in the coalition, we were all angry at the election results, for varying reasons, and none of us has any hopes for it getting better - I get the impresson we are all holding our breath for the emergency budget to see how bad it is going to be.

Other than that we're a cheery bunch really :)

...did you pray for Labour to win and fix it...?.... :lol: ...if you voted LibDem ...get used to it ...PR AV.....are all about coalitions ....if your colleagues did not see this coming over the past seven years ...I have no sympathy .... :rolleyes:

Edited by South Lorne

People are now acknowledging the problems the UK are facing and realise what a mess Labour has put us in.

Only yesterday someone was pointing out how the green shoots had changed to be recovery being set in to "we are all f**ked" news headlines.

It's much the same in my office. The feeling that a new govt could change the debt problem easily has evaporated.

The sense is more that we will all need to be supportive of each other as this unravels. There will be lots of friends and relatives who may find themselves in financial trouble. The country will need to come together, putting aside petty differences. I am on the side of, 'get it all out in the open NOW and deal with it as quickly as possible'. Let's not stretch it out over a decade or more.

No doom and gloom yet, but I think they have realised things aren't about to pick up again soon. Have had to listen to BS about this being a "small blips" etc for the last 3 years. Work for a construction company and we were chasing city centre apartment schemes back in 2007/8. Kept banging on they they would never happen, but no-one listened. Other schemes (that we didn't win luckily) have been in the press over the last year - developers gone bust, contractor lost money, investors lose deposits etc etc

Someone made a very good point on another thread that the herd mentality can wash away deep-seated beliefs quickly. Annoyingly, the same people who were laughing at my relaying of information from this website about recession / depression / debt levels over the last 3 years, will soon be claiming that it was "obviously going to happen all along" and "houses were clearly overpriced in the first place". Have been showing the HPC graph v bubble chart for years now to people, and only one other guy "gets it".

On a side note, we have been asked if we undertake any charity work in our spare time in the community (to help win work with future clients). A colleague into BTL (in a big way) claimed SERIOUSLY that he is charitable as he sometimes gives tenants a week or two grace while waiting for the rent cheque. (ie not a weeks free rent, just waiting an extra week for the money).

Doom and gloom very much in evidence here, but not for the reasons you might expect.

Apparently those nasty Tories are back in power and therefore we are all going to get shafted, they are out to get us apparently, they will raise interest rates soon.

If only Gordon Brown had hung on to power we would have been looking forward to a better future apparently

much the same in mine and not only in the office but with friends and family too

Doom and gloom very much in evidence here, but not for the reasons you might expect.

Apparently those nasty Tories are back in power and therefore we are all going to get shafted, they are out to get us apparently, they will raise interest rates soon.

If only Gordon Brown had hung on to power we would have been looking forward to a better future apparently

People are deluded and it shows the need for the Labour incompetence to be blown out into the open sooner rather than later.

I just stare on in dis-belief at tossers complaining about the election result – what the******do you expect! We voted how we voted and a coalition is the best we could hope for. The same idiots complaining about it want PR but don’t now want a coalition govt, it beggers belief.

I really do believe that thus far (it is extremely early days) they seem to have grown up and seen the shitstorm brewing the need for some sort of consensus it govt.

In my office which is now in Switzerland we are talking about if we will have contracts in 6 months as even here the Indians are moving in en masse. I have been outsourced 3 times now and see this trend increasing as each year goes by until there will be no contracts left for anyone.

LOL :D

(I'm no Tory, I despise all parties equally, since they are all corrupt and useless but these people are really deluded...)

Edited by wise_eagle

The house is not making any money.

The saving are not making any money.

The job is not making any money.

Keep head down, do the business, keep middle of the road and maybe they won't notice. ;)

Like being sat in the dentist's waiting room. Fear before the pain. It's going to hurt but just now much?

I've got root canal work tomorrow. Thanks for reminding me ;)

Guest UK Debt Slave

Apathy........Ignorance........the usual stuff!

I'm quite vocal at work in my disgust for the political elite, whoever they are.

They think I'm a nutter!

There ya go!

Perfectly understandable because if you believe the BBC and SkyNews is a realistic interpretation of events, life is going to continue as normal, etc etc. I suspect people are in for a big shock but it depends how much longer the pretence that we can afford to continue living in our comfortable fantasy land continues.

People have been saying the whole system will collapse for ages so it's very easy to get complacent about things

An interesting 5 years ahead I reckon.

Guest UK Debt Slave

The house is not making any money.

The saving are not making any money.

The job is not making any money.

Keep head down, do the business, keep middle of the road and maybe they won't notice. ;)

What savings?

Does anyone have savings anymore?

I was under the impression that 30% of the people in this country have no savings whatsoever.

My savings are the same as they were 6 years ago. It's nigh on impossible to save money and why bother?

Ignorant bliss with the people that I work with.

One is getting his house on the market because he wants to buy a bigger one before prices get too high, lol.

Another is also looking to move up but is struggling to finance it without selling his current home, he wants to keep it and add it to his 'pwoperdee portfolio' since he already has a btl.

One guy that bough his house years ago for peanuts has extended every inch of it and borrowed against it for several luxury holidays a year until recently but with absolutely no savings (somehow) and the prospect of being written off longterm sick he is bringing in his own sandwhiches now to save cash, lmao.

In my village, 3 bed bungalow bought for £325k has been extended and had a lot spent on it. 2 bed cottage sold for £330k just been knocked down to make way for a 4 bed det house (is a reasonable sized plot). Lots of major building extensions going on and houses going sold quickly.

I have no idea wtf is going on tbh, everyone thinks i am an idiot for sitting on my hands in a rented house, all I know is that there are going to be lots of tears before this ends and hopefully not too many of mine.

I have no idea wtf is going on tbh, everyone thinks i am an idiot for sitting on my hands in a rented house, all I know is that there are going to be lots of tears before this ends and hopefully not too many of mine.

:lol:

Hope you are right, or I'll be crying too!