House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1929crash

Extradition Of Gary Mckinnon Put On Hold

The extradition of the computer hacker Gary McKinnon has been put on hold after the home secretary, Theresa May, agreed to an adjournment of a judicial review that was supposed to start within days.

The move will allow May to begin formal consideration of the medical evidence to see whether McKinnon is fit to be extradited. If it is established that he cannot be allowed to go, it paves the way for a prosecution in the UK.

A Home Office spokesperson said: "The home secretary has considered the proposal from Gary McKinnon's legal team and has agreed an adjournment should be sought. An application to the court is being made today."

McKinnon's lawyer, Karen Todner, said she hoped May would make a decision on whether he was fit to be extradited in a matter of weeks.

Todner said: "The secretary of state, having recently taken office and having received further representations from the claimant's representatives, wishes to have appropriate time fully to consider the issues in the case." She said she hoped the decision was "a signal of a more compassionate and caring home secretary".

McKinnon's lawyers were granted permission for a judicial review last week – having failed to win one last year – into whether a decision by the former home secretary Alan Johnson to allow extradition and trial in the US breached McKinnon's human rights.

The judicial review was supposed to start next week and was virtually a last throw of the legal dice. Its adjournment allows May to cast a fresh eye on what has turned into a cause celebre, and to make a close examination of the extradition agreement between the US and the UK.

Legal experts said May's main difficulty would be to override her Home Office advisers.

"They will, perhaps, tell their minister that if she reverses the [Jacqui] Smith-Johnson decision, the Americans might take her to court for judicial review. But this is unreal: the Obama administration is unlikely to challenge, on behalf of a local state prosecutor, a decision of the new British government," Geoffrey Robertson QC wrote on the Guardian's Comment is free website, this week.

McKinnon's supporters believe the new coalition government is sympathetic to their cause as David Cameron and Nick Clegg have in the past publicly criticised plans to extradite McKinnon. Last year, Cameron said any trial should take place in the UK. He said there was "a clear argument to be made that he should answer [any questions] in a British court".

McKinnon admitted to hacking into 97 computers in the US defence department and Nasa from his London flat, and said he was looking for evidence of UFOs between 2001-2.

Despite a lengthy legal battle and strong public support for the Free Gary campaign, McKinnon has so far failed in his seven-year fight against extradition. His supporters argue that McKinnon has Asperger's syndrome and was driven only by an obsession with UFOs. The US government argues that his hacking attempts were a deliberate effort to breach American defence systems.

If it is decided that McKinnon is not well enough to be extradited, he could then face prosecution in Britain.

The controversial case has crossed the desks of six home secretaries.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2010/may/20/computer-hacker-gary-mckinnon-extradition-on-hold

Those evil tory bathtubs...

Why can't they just do the honest and humane thing and let him be extradited like those 6 Labour Home secretarys planned.

Those evil tory bathtubs...

Why can't they just do the honest and humane thing and let him be extradited like those 6 Labour Home secretarys planned.

Indeed. Time for a rebalancing of the extradition treaty between the USA and the UK I think.

Guest X-QUORK

Indeed. Time for a rebalancing of the extradition treaty between the USA and the UK I think.

A big plus one, the Yanks have been holding the upper hand for far too long. We've paid off our WWII debt, so time to grow a pair methinks.

A big plus one, the Yanks have been holding the upper hand for far too long. We've paid off our WWII debt, so time to grow a pair methinks.

I think there amy be an element of truth in that.

if he's that good at cracking national defence systems then it is obvious why the US would be interested in him,not necessarily to prosecute but to offer a job.

we are caught in the crossfire of a US/German battle for supremacy.....we need to keep hold of what little assets we have left.

...and we will sometimes need to cooperate..........but cooperate does not mean bitch-slapped into submission by either side.

He is guilty as sin but doesn't deserve decades in the pen. Aspergers my @rse, I've seen him interviewed and he doesn't appear to have Aspergers. It's just an excuse to avoid deportation.

US should be grateful that an idiot prankster highlighted the massive gaping holes in their security.

Great chance to stick 2 fingers up at the yanks btw. **** the special relationship.

Guest happy?

I think there amy be an element of truth in that.

if he's that good at cracking national defence systems then it is obvious why the US would be interested in him,not necessarily to prosecute but to offer a job.

we are caught in the crossfire of a US/German battle for supremacy.....we need to keep hold of what little assets we have left.

...and we will sometimes need to cooperate..........but cooperate does not mean bitch-slapped into submission by either side.

Mackinnon wasn't good at cracking defence systems - he was crime was to embarrass the US by showing how pis5 poor their security was.

I like the way the new government is setting about Labour mistakes with a machete.

So far:

Dropped compulsory ID cards

Dropped HIPS

Put extradition of McKinnon on hold

Dropped the troubled regional fire service proposals.

I like the way the new government is setting about Labour mistakes with a machete.

So far:

Dropped compulsory ID cards

Dropped HIPS

Put extradition of McKinnon on hold

Dropped the troubled regional fire service proposals.

Have they - must have missed that one. Admittedly, I've been busy and not heard much news for weeks.

Guest X-QUORK

Have they - must have missed that one. Admittedly, I've been busy and not heard much news for weeks.

Erm...ditto.

Guest X-QUORK

Dear God, please let me use just one Hellfire...

35jksh4.jpg

...and maybe a clean-up with some 30mm.

He is guilty as sin but doesn't deserve decades in the pen. Aspergers my @rse, I've seen him interviewed and he doesn't appear to have Aspergers. It's just an excuse to avoid deportation.

US should be grateful that an idiot prankster highlighted the massive gaping holes in their security.

Great chance to stick 2 fingers up at the yanks btw. **** the special relationship.

Any organisation with a brain would have hired him..... Americans...... idiots.... it is ok for the to fund IRA terrorism for years but the moment a bloke in his bedroom outwits their little system they go loopy

Guest theboltonfury

Any organisation with a brain would have hired him..... Americans...... idiots.... it is ok for the to fund IRA terrorism for years but the moment a bloke in his bedroom outwits their little system they go loopy

Look what happened to Frank Abegnale Jr. He outwitted the banks with fraud for years, got caught, did time, now makes more than he ever could have dreamed by working for the banks to prevent the frauds he's an expert in.

Look what happened to Frank Abegnale Jr. He outwitted the banks with fraud for years, got caught, did time, now makes more than he ever could have dreamed by working for the banks to prevent the frauds he's an expert in.

Guys, he didn't out wit anything, or anyone.

The sys admins left default passwords in admin accounts. That's it.

It's the equivalent of trying the door in your local that says staff only, and after finding it unlocked rummaging through the cleaning supplies trying to find the trap door that leads to Narnia

It's the equivalent of trying the door in your local that says staff only, and after finding it unlocked rummaging through the cleaning supplies trying to find the trap door that leads to Narnia

I think it is the double standards that winds me up.

Then on the other hand you have these two suspects we daren't send back to Pakistan in case they get badly treated, the Yanks have already said they are putting him on trial.

Dear God, please let me use just one Hellfire...

35jksh4.jpg

...and maybe a clean-up with some 30mm.

I've seen you do this numerous times. If you have nothing to say, what's the point in posting irrelevant pictures.

I think it is the double standards that winds me up.

You have to remember when this all happened.

The happy man is right though, he's crime was showing the US military to be truly incompetent. But incompetent at time when they were absolutely paranoid and despite the billions spent they hadn't fixed any of the problems highlighted the last time.

If you are interested in the back story go to the register, it's all there, what is particularly interesting is the story of a guy who did something fairly similar a few years earlier and well, pretty much nothing happened.

Guest theboltonfury

I'd be gutted if it was Narnia. Why couldn't it be Kelly Brook's boudoire?

I've seen you do this numerous times. If you have nothing to say, what's the point in posting irrelevant pictures.

??

That was a direct comment about a story and photo linked in the post immediately above his?

The sentiment expressed was one I fully share btw; surely not long now until we have Baroness Allsop meddling in housing issues.