House Price Crash Forum

How Many Of You On Here Have Actually Been On The Dole?

OnionTerror

HOLA441

With all the "fruitbat" replies that are on the benefits thread, I'm just enquiring to see how many of you have actually been on the dole.. I think those who have, especially who for a length of time, understands the welfare state (and the ppl on it) much more than those strange ppl who are suggesting eugenics.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply
HOLA442
Guest UK Debt Slave

With all the "fruitbat" replies that are on the benefits thread, I'm just enquiring to see how many of you have actually been on the dole.. I think those who have, especially who for a length of time, understands the welfare state (and the ppl on it) much more than those strange ppl who are suggesting eugenics.

Not since the early 90s

And a very depressing experience it was too.

Not recommended! :blink:

HOLA443
HOLA444

Signed on last week after seven and a half years of full employment.

Hope to be off it in three to six months. Was on it for six months last time.

Was sent to recruiter/careers advisor who was really good, has advised taking time out as my last job was traumatic.

HOLA445

i was for 3 months

i had booked an overseas holiday for 6 weeks and was made redundant around 3 months before going on holiday so just decided to go dole for that time as who would employ someone for a month or two then let them ****** off for 6 weeks?

HOLA446

Never, namely because I am almost always in work younger I would do almost anything along with moving around and following it.

Also there is an incredible social stigma about it, thus even though I'd probably be better off I stick hack at the coal face doing temp jobs here and there.

And TBH it should be shameful,

HOLA447

Absolutely depressing, saps your energy and motivation. No confidnce or self belief. Start to lose your skills.

There is a strong corelation between unemployment and bad health. That is another real cost to unemployment.

It is only possible to live with unemployment when everyone you know is in the same situation. Sadly, for some demographics, this is so.

HOLA448

It is only possible to live with unemployment when everyone you know is in the same situation. Sadly, for some demographics, this is so.

Exactly why you should do something, maybe daytime TV should be turned off or something

Personally right now.

I peel potatoes in the morning now for a local chippy after losing my chef job, it is hard dirty work, and saps your energy as it involves lots of heavy lifting and your hands get freeze pains from being wet and immersed all the time even with gloves. In winter it is pretty horrid.

Also I do shopping for OAPs now and again and they usually pay me in something home made like cakes or meat balls or a chunk of lasagne.

HOLA449
HOLA4410

Exactly why you should do something, maybe daytime TV should be turned off or something

Personally right now.

I peel potatoes in the morning now for a local chippy after losing my chef job, it is hard dirty work, and saps your energy as it involves lots of heavy lifting and your hands get freeze pains from being wet and immersed all the time even with gloves. In winter it is pretty horrid.

Also I do shopping for OAPs now and again and they usually pay me in something home made like cakes or meat balls or a chunk of lasagne.

Not calling you a liar or anything, but as an ex chef myself, hasn't this chippy got a potato rumbler? Jeeeez!

HOLA4411
HOLA4412

I haven't read the "benefits" topic.

Lived in the dole culture for a few years, wasn't depressing in the least, almost everyone I knew was on the dole.

It is, in many parts of the country a culture.

I have known many people born and bred into this culture.

It will not change whilst roofs, tv, food and the internet are all provided for free (to those that get it).

HOLA4413

Never been on the dole. It must be horrendous. Iteraction with a smug doler-outer or whatever they call them when you have a s***load of qualifications and can probably think them into the ground must be particularly demeaning.

You might be surprised how many people are on the dole, by choice, that have very adept brains.

But then smugness is not a nice trait!

HOLA4414

Absolutely depressing, saps your energy and motivation. No confidnce or self belief. Start to lose your skills.

There is a strong corelation between unemployment and bad health. That is another real cost to unemployment.

Makes meeting new people and the inevitable 'so what do you do?' conversation pretty unbearable too, so much so I have unintentionally limited my social circle to people who have been/are in a similar situation now.

I signed on recently, although being a year unemployed already I fear I've screwed myself there since the damage to my employability is already done.

HOLA4415
HOLA4416
Guest tbatst2000

Once for 3 months back in the late 80s - I've even got an actual UB40 somewhere to show for it. The process of signing on itself was grim, but being out of work was fine for me - reading, cycling practising my guitar, hanging around with various of my mates who were also out of work. The main problem was not having enough money for non-essentials. I could eat quite easily but a new set of guitar strings, for example, wasn't something I could just go and buy.

HOLA4417

Never, namely because I am almost always in work younger I would do almost anything along with moving around and following it.

Also there is an incredible social stigma about it, thus even though I'd probably be better off I stick hack at the coal face doing temp jobs here and there.

And TBH it should be shameful,

Why should it be shameful

I worked for a company for 17 years and was made redundant , along with 4,000 others . When the company took the jobs overseas.

Myself and the people I worked with had paid masses of tax and NI , into the system over the years why should we be ashamed to sign on and get something from the system that we paid into for years and years.

HOLA4418

Personally right now.

bloody ell fresh cut chips in this day and age

someone should give you a medal mate , too much frozen garbage nowdays

HOLA4419

Not calling you a liar or anything, but as an ex chef myself, hasn't this chippy got a potato rumbler? Jeeeez!

Yes they do, the problem is rumblers have some limitations, i.e. they can't get the deep imperfections out of the potatoes. They can but only if you leave them in the machine for a long time so the water that comes out of the waste port is no longer brown but white. But this wastes a huge amount of potato so you open the trap door on the side let them fall into a tub then load the next batch quickly look at the batch which just came out and go over them with a knife to cut out imperfections quickly transfering them to a bucket filled with whitener.

If you don't do this especially with some tatties the chips are horrendously ugly when they are fried later on.

HOLA4420

Why should it be shameful

I worked for a company for 17 years and was made redundant , along with 4,000 others . When the company took the jobs overseas.

Myself and the people I worked with had paid masses of tax and NI , into the system over the years why should we be ashamed to sign on and get something from the system that we paid into for years and years.

Absolutely agree.I was made redundant last June having worked non stop since 1990.I signed on,to be honest,mainly for the reason that i had redundancy cover so i had to prove i was seeking JSA to the insurance company.Why should somebody feel ashamed about signing on after paying into the system for years? I've been back in work for the last 4mths but i'd sign off again if i had to.

HOLA4421

I haven't as I am not allowed to claim any benefits. I am from South Africa, married to a UK girl. I have been in UK for 4 and half years now, paying NI/taxes etc.

It would be a strange feeling if was to go on as in south Africa there is nothing like that to fall back on, you work or you starve.

HOLA4422

Yes they do, the problem is rumblers have some limitations, i.e. they can't get the deep imperfections out of the potatoes. They can but only if you leave them in the machine for a long time so the water that comes out of the waste port is no longer brown but white. But this wastes a huge amount of potato so you open the trap door on the side let them fall into a tub then load the next batch quickly look at the batch which just came out and go over them with a knife to cut out imperfections quickly transfering them to a bucket filled with whitener.

If you don't do this especially with some tatties the chips are horrendously ugly when they are fried later on.

Ahh yes, I remember now. Haven't used one since 1991 (my last year as a chef). I forgot you still had to go round and dig all the eyes/imperfections afterwards.

As for arduous potato peeling, I'll see your chippy peeling and raise you 2 dustbin's full of Pomme Chateau (turned potatoes) I had to prepare for the Sergeant's Mess Ball on year. Now that's a biatch!

Chateau%20Potatoes.jpg

tongue.gif

HOLA4423

Ahh yes, I remember now. Haven't used one since 1991 (my last year as a chef). I forgot you still had to go round and dig all the eyes/imperfections afterwards.

As for arduous potato peeling, I'll see your chippy peeling and raise you 2 dustbin's full of Pomme Chateau (turned potatoes) I had to prepare for the Sergeant's Mess Ball on year. Now that's a biatch!

Chateau%20Potatoes.jpg

tongue.gif

Sorry but you lose,

I work on a cruse ship with 3000+ guests, and 1000 crew, 2 bin fuls really is not a lot!!!!

HOLA4424

I was mostly on the dole for the 3 years after I left university with a decent degree in 1994. I had a lovely time, went surfing loads, had a few jobs in kitchens, farm work, building etc I had quite a hot GF at the time so managed to while a way the time!

Another time I signed on in Portugal and lived with my Portuguese GF. I remember there being a warning that your benefits may not go as far in other countries.. In Portugal in 1999 £50 a week meant I could only eat out 2 or 3 times a week!

Obviously if I lived in Toxteth or Slough it might not have been so great!

HOLA4425

Archived