House Price Crash Forum

Vince Cable Plans New Attempt To Privatise Royal Mail

DisQ

Why would we want or need the state to be running a shrinking, increasingly irrelevant business? Royal Mail / Post office should have been sold off over 20 years ago when BT was put into private ownership. Is there anyone now who looks at the telecoms industry and thinks "you know what, this would be so much better if the government were running it all." ?

a shrinking, increasingly irrelevant business That would be a shrinking and irrelevant business that made over 400 million in a difficult year would it? I suspect there are many businesses that you would class as growing and relevant who would be glad of achieving these profit levels. The delivery of letters may be declining but this is more than compensated for by the vast expansion in home shopping of which Royal Mail has a big share of the delivery of. To compare mail delivery with telecoms is frankly irrelevant and shows a lack of understanding of the issues. The delivery of physical items to every address in the country is not something that any private operator would take on. Delivery to every address in London, Birmingham or Manchester, maybe but what about the millions of people who live in areas that private operators wouldn't want to operate in? Private mail companies only exist in the UK because they have Royal mail to deliver their stuff to uneconomic operating areas. Do away with Royal Mail and you will massively drive up the cost of delivering letters and more importantly packages and/or exclude many people from a mail service at all.

a shrinking, increasingly irrelevant business That would be a shrinking and irrelevant business that made over 400 million in a difficult year would it? I suspect there are many businesses that you would class as growing and relevant who would be glad of achieving these profit levels. The delivery of letters may be declining but this is more than compensated for by the vast expansion in home shopping of which Royal Mail has a big share of the delivery of. To compare mail delivery with telecoms is frankly irrelevant and shows a lack of understanding of the issues. The delivery of physical items to every address in the country is not something that any private operator would take on. Delivery to every address in London, Birmingham or Manchester, maybe but what about the millions of people who live in areas that private operators wouldn't want to operate in? Private mail companies only exist in the UK because they have Royal mail to deliver their stuff to uneconomic operating areas. Do away with Royal Mail and you will massively drive up the cost of delivering letters and more importantly packages and/or exclude many people from a mail service at all.

Well you know, those living in rural areas will just have to face the harsh realities of the free market, just like the banks don't.

Leave the Royal Mail alone. All the private companies have done is to cherry pick all the prime business and get the RM

to do the actual deliveries. I don't want some min wage illiterate forced to work 14 hours a day filtering my mail for anything

of value.

Well you know, those living in rural areas will just have to face the harsh realities of the free market, just like the banks don't.

Leave the Royal Mail alone. All the private companies have done is to cherry pick all the prime business and get the RM

to do the actual deliveries. I don't want some min wage illiterate forced to work 14 hours a day filtering my mail for anything

of value.

+1

Those who advocate free market solutions, deregulation and lower taxation ignore the factors that got us where we are now. Changing the last 30 years will not be achieved by winding the clock back to 1980.