House Price Crash Forum

Who Says Smokimg Is Bad For You?

Guest anorthosite

Guest Absolutely Fabulous

What I find interesting is Doctors and Nurses attitudes to smoking and drinking. They are well known, in large numbers, to smoke like chimneys and drink like fishes.

Now why, when they see the devastating effects of this every day, would they do this ?

I doubt it is because it is not really bad for you. I would hazard a guess it is for another reason. They see so much random bad luck where people get seriously ill and die just coz - that they think why ******ing not ?

Any resident docs or nurses care to comment ?

Usng that line of reasoning, one could assume that professional drivers would always drive safely on the roads...Do they?unsure.gif

Smoking is associated with stressful situations - and they both - doctors and nurses - deal with unacceptable situations on a daily basis. Mutilations, death, - even bedpans!ohmy.gif

One thing you need to realise is that professionals don't automatically function rationally in their private lives. We humans mainly do things for emotional reasons.

Spock they ain't.dry.gif

PS my GP gave up smoking then started again after 5 years. He died when he was 6 years younger than I am now. I also know of other docs and medical personnel who died in their 50s early 60s. It may seem old to you now, but it is very young to die for these days.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It doesn't fit with the binary thinking of the ruling liberal elite.

Living in London, as compared to living in Snowdonia, is like smoking 4 fags a day because of the polluted air. Now I'm not suggesting all the Welsh hill farmers should smoke 4 a day but I have yet to see any campaign to stop people living in London.

Yep - those in charge like to pick and choose the 'bad' thing of the moment. Then constantly ram it down our throats.

Usng that line of reasoning, one could assume that professional drivers would always drive safely on the roads...Do they?unsure.gif

Smoking is associated with stressful situations - and they both - doctors and nurses - deal with unacceptable situations on a daily basis. Mutilations, death, - even bedpans!ohmy.gif

One thing you need to realise is that professionals don't automatically function rationally in their private lives. We humans mainly do things for emotional reasons.

Spock they ain't.dry.gif

PS my GP gave up smoking then started again after 5 years. He died when he was 6 years younger than I am now. I also know of other docs and medical personnel who died in their 50s early 60s. It may seem old to you now, but it is very young to die for these days.

I understand the reasoning. I just find it very interesting. Clearly the stress of what they do outweighs the obvious risks of doing the things they choose. They make a choice to do things that may, as you say, end up killing them at an early age. I reckon the things they see every day certainly have an impact on this. You see death and mutilation and horrific injuries every day ? Smoking a few fags probably doesn't seem quite such a big deal afterall...

I had a sort of 'well man' medical a few years ago and in this you have to do a puff test.

The nurse was impressed with my result and said (paraphrased) that you can always tell the smokers from the non smokers as their lungs don't function as well. :(

Then she need to go back to nurse school and study harder.

Archived