House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Timm

What Is Cleggy Up To?

Are we allowed politics threads again? I hope so, because young Nicky Clegg seems to be offering to tear down the whole system and start again:

He said: "I'm talking about the most significant programme of empowerment by a British government since the great enfranchisement of the 19th Century.

"The biggest shake up of our democracy since 1832, when the Great Reform Act redrew the boundaries of British democracy, for the first time extending the franchise beyond the landed classes."

He added: "Incremental change will not do. It is time for a wholesale, big bang approach to political reform."

Since 1832? Lets be clear about this:

He's saying he is going to make changes to the political system that are bigger than the introduction of the secret ballot (1872), the outlawing of bribary and intimidation (1872 / 83) or giving the vote to women (1918 / 28).

Those are big changes he must be planning...

Are we allowed politics threads again? I hope so, because young Nicky Cleeg seems to be offering to tear down the whole system and start again:

He's saying he is going to make changes to the political system that are bigger than the introduction of the secret ballot (1872), the outlawing of bribary and intimidation (1872 / 83) or giving the vote to women (1918 / 28).

Electing the House of Lords is pretty big.

Are we allowed politics threads again? I hope so, because young Nicky Clegg seems to be offering to tear down the whole system and start again:

Bloody hell, they aren't making another good decision again are they? FFS! :)

Are we allowed politics threads again? I hope so, because young Nicky Cleeg seems to be offering to tear down the whole system and start again:

Bribery and intimidation is called lobbying these days.

Guest DestroyBrown

Did govts get executed for financial incompetence in 1832?

Clegg has to maximise his advantage while the honeymoon lasts. All will change at the Tory Conference.

Meanwhile, Clegg and Camoron are bidding against each other to be 'best egg'.

The majority Party, the Tories if you remember, are right now lunching each other and persuading their new MPs. The long recess is nearly here. Local Associations will twist arms. Parliament will be very different in the autumn and Cleggs wings will be clipped.

1. There is no secret ballot.

All voting cards are numbered. They can tell who anyone has voted for at any time.

2. Bribary and intimidation?

Hmmm.....political parties don't try and bribe the electorate do they.

3. Women voting? Not in my lifetime they haven't

Yes, it's all splendid and tickety-boo for those who live in mainstream media land.

Away from the soap opera stuff, though, three Bilderbergers in Brown, Balls and Mandelson exited the Cabinet to be replaced with the same team players cunningly wearing different colour rosettes in Osborne, Clarke and Hague.

I'd say it's an even money bet that both Osborne and Clarke will disappear for four days next month to attend the New World Order's annual bash, and 100-1 on that Cleggy won't be asking where his new fifth columnist chums have sloped off to.

It appears that Paddy Pantsdown is Nicky boy's handler so I'll have a cheeky 50p each-way punt that he'll provide his eyes and ears at that do.

Clegg has to maximise his advantage while the honeymoon lasts. All will change at the Tory Conference.

Meanwhile, Clegg and Camoron are bidding against each other to be 'best egg'.

The majority Party, the Tories if you remember, are right now lunching each other and persuading their new MPs. The long recess is nearly here. Local Associations will twist arms. Parliament will be very different in the autumn and Cleggs wings will be clipped.

If the coalition did deliver some of these things, though, would you be able to let yourself think it was a good thing?

Or would this happen?

Edit to change to more appropriate link.

If the coalition did deliver some of these things, though, would you be able to let yourself think it was a good thing?

All Governments, especially as they are trying to hold the centre, give us a mixed diet.

The Libcons will produce both good and bad for the average person, more good probably, in the short term.

But in six months, let alone a year, I suspect they will be scarcely recognisable from the image and policy projected now.

I do not expect them still to be in business this time next year.

All Governments, especially as they are trying to hold the centre, give us a mixed diet.

The Libcons will produce both good and bad for the average person, more good probably, in the short term.

But in six months, let alone a year, I suspect they will be scarcely recognisable from the image and policy projected now.

I do not expect them still to be in business this time next year.

Clegg is taking advantage of the honeymoon period and making sure he gets changes in asap. In 6 months time when the economic reality is hitting home, it could well be a different matter. The conference season will be an interesting one this year for all 3 main parties...

Guest happy?

It's all part of his Really Trific Reform Bill.

Being a lifelong republican who'd like a written constitution I'm wondering how he'll contain my expectations.