House Price Crash Forum

Interest Rate Rise Increases Fans' Fears Over Glazer Debt At Manchester United

Aaaaahhh... the clarion call of the barstool bluffer.

Have you seen the state of La Liga this year?

Have you seen the state of the Premiership or Serie A? Most foreign players treat the Premiershite as one last pay-day.. How many english players have been a success in la liga? a handful?

Went to see Leigh RMI-FC United of Manchester in their first ever game, never looked back. About a fiver in, can't remember, but the best game I've ever been to for the spirit, the atmosphere, the number of real football fans, the promise.

I pity the second-wavers with their Norwich City green and yellow scarves, if they'd joined the FC movement when it started they could have felt part of something that appreciated them.

United had no debts and a healthy profit coming in every year until the Glazers took over. They were the model of a financially stable, successful football team.

Then the takeover landed them with well over £500m of debt, which has now swollen to well over £700m. It is frustrating that the dire state of their finances has come not from overspending nor excessive player wages like other clubs, but simply being with landed with the debts of their own takeover.

Very true. They let themselves become a LTD company due to the extra revenue that could bring. Big mistake in hindsight. That was the reason the Glazers could take over the club with money they didn't even have.

The mistake was made by Man Utd in 1991. What is happening today is just the effect. I think I called the demise of the Premiership about 3 years ago. Don't think I was wrong.

Very true. They let themselves become a LTD company due to the extra revenue that could bring. Big mistake in hindsight. That was the reason the Glazers could take over the club with money they didn't even have.

The mistake was made by Man Utd in 1991. What is happening today is just the effect. I think I called the demise of the Premiership about 3 years ago. Don't think I was wrong.

Well, the Premiership won't end. It'll just become a wrangling shop of administrators, I dread to think what will happen to Man Utd the club I grew up two miles away from but could never get tickets for.

Fortunately that set me on the road to real sport at Salford RL, it didn't hinder it my dad taking me to watch us beat Wigan out of their 10-year Challenge Cup dominance in 1996, it seems rugby league is the only real working class sport left for people who want to watch professional sport. But even thtat is now pricing its fans out of the game as it's nearly £20 to watch a game :(

Well, the Premiership won't end. It'll just become a wrangling shop of administrators, I dread to think what will happen to Man Utd the club I grew up two miles away from but could never get tickets for.

Fortunately that set me on the road to real sport at Salford RL, it didn't hinder it my dad taking me to watch us beat Wigan out of their 10-year Challenge Cup dominance in 1996, it seems rugby league is the only real working class sport left for people who want to watch professional sport. But even thtat is now pricing its fans out of the game as it's nearly £20 to watch a game :(

Aye it wont just disappear. However it will go backwards - which in fact I think is it going forwards. If you know what I mean.

Aye it wont just disappear. However it will go backwards - which in fact I think is it going forwards. If you know what I mean.

Yes i do. Sport for me is about supporting those on the pitch, and the cameraderie of the pitch, and the togetherness off the pitch. I've had that while supporting FC United of Manchester and, further back, Aberystwyth Town FC. The smaller the team, the more you get into it. I don't think I'll ever get a better experience of football than League of Wales games, travelling to the game on the same coach as the team, heading back across deepest darkest Wales and stopping off at random pubs that were illegally open at midnight, 1am, great stuff.

The last game I went to was Leeds vs Milton Keynes a couple of weeks ago and it was terrible, squashed in for the privilege of spending £27 to watch a team I wanted to lose. Boring.

Yes i do. Sport for me is about supporting those on the pitch, and the cameraderie of the pitch, and the togetherness off the pitch. I've had that while supporting FC United of Manchester and, further back, Aberystwyth Town FC. The smaller the team, the more you get into it. I don't think I'll ever get a better experience of football than League of Wales games, travelling to the game on the same coach as the team, heading back across deepest darkest Wales and stopping off at random pubs that were illegally open at midnight, 1am, great stuff.

The last game I went to was Leeds vs Milton Keynes a couple of weeks ago and it was terrible, squashed in for the privilege of spending £27 to watch a team I wanted to lose. Boring.

Agree with that all. Not even allowed to stand these days as it is dangerous. Load of nonsense. They don't think it is dangerous if you are in any League bar the top one !!

Agree with that all. Not even allowed to stand these days as it is dangerous. Load of nonsense. They don't think it is dangerous if you are in any League bar the top one !!

I've got to the point where I don't give a shit what they think :rolleyes:

For example, we go to Warrington RL, the Halliwell Jones Stadium. They do 2 pint glasses, you can take them into the ground and watch the game while drinking, in a terraced stand as away fans.

You go to Huddersfield RL. No drinks allowed in. It's a football ground an you must sit. :rolleyes:

Which one has had its attendance growing? I wonder.

I've got to the point where I don't give a shit what they think :rolleyes:

For example, we go to Warrington RL, the Halliwell Jones Stadium. They do 2 pint glasses, you can take them into the ground and watch the game while drinking, in a terraced stand as away fans.

You go to Huddersfield RL. No drinks allowed in. It's a football ground an you must sit. :rolleyes:

Which one has had its attendance growing? I wonder.

I gave up my ST at Hearts after going to a few German League games. The difference is incredible. Good value, beer, organised, terracing - they just have it right.

And as you say above - their attendences and league in general is thriving. We are just behind, as usual, in this country. Probably be 2020 before they realise and start to do something about it.

Archived