House Price Crash Forum

Work Starts On First New Council Homes (Barnsley)

HOLA441

http://www.yorkshirepost.co.uk/localnews/Work-starts-on-first-new.6303269.jp

WORK has started on the first new council houses to be built inBarnsley for almost 30 years.Barnsley Council and Berneslai Homes have secured government funding to build 16 new two-bedroomed apartments at Vernon Crescent in Ward Green.This is the first of five newly-approved housing schemes planned in the town, which will together see 78 new council homes being built over the next year at a cost of £4.8m.

I can't remember the size of the waiting lists nationally. Millions I guess. No wonder the politicians don't talk about it!

HOLA442

£61k a pop, as it should be

The government would do well to pop out a million homes at £61k each. They currently pay upwards of £12k in the SE for housing benefits. Much better to build at £61k and pay the interest on that (ie £3k pa) than to pay private landlords £13k pa.

A million such homes would save the government £10B per year every year. Plus building those million homes would add jobs and pay tax to the tune of roughly £30B.

Edited by cells

HOLA443
HOLA444

I can't remember the size of the waiting lists nationally. Millions I guess. No wonder the politicians don't talk about it!

The "waiting list" is a very poor indicator of need. Many people on it are not in need of housing but would like a nice council house to sell off later after they have it on the right to buy. The urban myth that the longer you're on the list the higher up it you go persists. IMO its not talked about much as its meaningless.

HOLA445
Guest Steve Cook

The "waiting list" is a very poor indicator of need.   Many people on it are not in need of housing but would like a nice council house to sell off later after they have it on the right to buy.  The urban myth that the longer you're on the list the higher up it you go persists.  IMO its not talked about much as its meaningless.

You know nothing about these waiting lists. Most councils are under such pressure to house pople that they don't even allow anyone on to the list if they have even the remotest capacity to pay private rent or buy. the only people who get on those lists are one who cannot afford to pay private rent without benefits help and so cannot afford a house either. In my own home town, we tried to get on the list and were told that because we were married, both working and did not have any "social" or "mental" problems we could basically f*ck off. This is the same story across the country.

HOLA446

You know nothing about these waiting lists. Most councils are under such pressure to house pople that they don't even allow anyone on to the list if they have even the remotest capacity to pay private rent or buy. the only people who get on those lists are one who cannot afford to pay private rent without benefits help and so cannot afford a house either. In my own home town, we tried to get on the list and were told that because we were married, both working and did not have any "social" or "mental" problems we could basically f*ck off. This is the same story across the country.

anyone posting here and understands the problems of the world is bound to have a mental problem.

try again Steve....tell them you have severe PTSD following a viewing of a CGNAO campaign.

HOLA447

My parent's and aunt & uncle were at St Fagin's in Wales yesterday, and one of the old buildings they have on-site was a 1940s pre-fab.

They all, including the person working in that house as a tour guide, agreed that the pre-fab concept would work again now - 2 double bedrooms, lounge/diner, kitchen, bathroom. It should work for most first-time buyers even now.

I presume that the modular/HUD homes in the US are the same - they get erected quickly, from a production-line build, and are a lot cheaper than standard build properties, and yet meet all the requirements for insulation etc.

HOLA448

You need to get a human rights lawyer involved this is clearly a case of discrimination, imagine the outrage if you where a refugee and got told to "fook off" because your not mental or socially challenged enough.

HOLA449

http://www.yorkshire...-new.6303269.jp

Maybe, I don`t see millions sleeping rough though do you? BTL landlords beware, as the council house building programme starts to be trumpeted on the "news" the generous housing benefits will start to be cut. Lack of houses is not the problem, it is too many people owning multiple property and milking the government for rent money, IMO this government are now about to break that stranglehold.

HOLA4410

Why two bed apartments?

I thought one of the major problems with social housing was the lack of family homes that could house a family with two children (or more) of opposite sexes for the long term, or a lack of housing for single young people (who do not require a second bedroom)?

HOLA4411

My parent's and aunt & uncle were at St Fagin's in Wales yesterday, and one of the old buildings they have on-site was a 1940s pre-fab.

They all, including the person working in that house as a tour guide, agreed that the pre-fab concept would work again now - 2 double bedrooms, lounge/diner, kitchen, bathroom. It should work for most first-time buyers even now.

I presume that the modular/HUD homes in the US are the same - they get erected quickly, from a production-line build, and are a lot cheaper than standard build properties, and yet meet all the requirements for insulation etc.

there was a field full of prefabs near a park I played in the early 60's

My dad told me at the time they were all going to be knocked down..

I asked why of course...I was only 5.

He said the someone wanted to get the people out but people didnt want to leave.

I didnt understand it, but I heard again some years later that people loved these things.

This was in Ilford....

Theyve got a couple at Eden Camp.

HOLA4412
Guest DestroyBrown

Maybe, I don`t see millions sleeping rough though do you? BTL landlords beware, as the council house building programme starts to be trumpeted on the "news" the generous housing benefits will start to be cut. Lack of houses is not the problem, it is too many people owning multiple property and milking the government for rent money, IMO this government are now about to break that stranglehold.

Like I said in other threads, the govt have the power to force down rents. A combination of gobbling up/building more housing stock AND lowering housing benefits.

I can't see any negatives to this (unless you are BTL scum)

Somebody let me know if I've missed something.

Edited by DestroyBrown

HOLA4413

there was a field full of prefabs near a park I played in the early 60's

My dad told me at the time they were all going to be knocked down..

I asked why of course...I was only 5.

He said the someone wanted to get the people out but people didnt want to leave.

I didnt understand it, but I heard again some years later that people loved these things.

This was in Ilford....

Theyve got a couple at Eden Camp.

Where was that in Ilford? Just curious as thats where I live.

HOLA4414

£61k a pop, as it should be

The government would do well to pop out a million homes at £61k each. They currently pay upwards of £12k in the SE for housing benefits. Much better to build at £61k and pay the interest on that (ie £3k pa) than to pay private landlords £13k pa.

A million such homes would save the government £10B per year every year. Plus building those million homes would add jobs and pay tax to the tune of roughly £30B.

communist! what about pwivate enterprise, innovation, the fwee marketz??