House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

guitarman001

Are We The Mugs?

Old friend of mine finished her salsa class yesterday - supposedly her dancing partner was a real laugh. Afterwards he gave her a shot of his ferrari. I immediately asked what his occupation was... the answer: property developer.

Are we really the mugs for not getting on that ladder? Makes me feel pretty grim!

Old friend of mine finished her salsa class yesterday - supposedly her dancing partner was a real laugh. Afterwards he gave her a shot of his ferrari. I immediately asked what his occupation was... the answer: property developer.

Are we really the mugs for not getting on that ladder? Makes me feel pretty grim!

Never mind - at least you have a chance of a reliable car!

I am sure there are plenty of folk on this site who could buy a Ferrari if they felt like it. I probably could myself (Albeit a 2nd hand one).

Then we would have people I used to go to school giving it all "Ooh, you see what car he drives, ooh done so well for himself, ooh isn't he minted, oooh, aah, ooh, aaaaa, ooh, uuum, ahhh, ooh"

I couldn't care less. Many of these Ferrari drivers will end up bankrupt in a few years, We all know the type. However I suppose you could be right in at least they drove one for a few years and had a laugh, prior to going teets up.

Not for me though. Spend every penny I have ever saved on one car ? Nah. ****** that.

I am sure there are plenty of folk on this site who could buy a Ferrari if they felt like it. I probably could myself (Albeit a 2nd hand one).

Then we would have people I used to go to school giving it all "Ooh, you see what car he drives, ooh done so well for himself, ooh isn't he minted, oooh, aah, ooh, aaaaa, ooh, uuum, ahhh, ooh"

I couldn't care less. Many of these Ferrari drivers will end up bankrupt in a few years, We all know the type. However I suppose you could be right in at least they drove one for a few years and had a laugh, prior to going teets up.

Not for me though. Spend every penny I have ever saved on one car ? Nah. ****** that.

I've had one plus jags and porsches, it doesn't matter a toss, it just looks like you are trying very hard.

The only time someone impresses me is when they do a balls out lap round a track in one, that is what they are meant for anyway, not doing the school run

Be grateful you have better things to think about in life than the metal box you want people to see you in. I can't see the point in owning any new car though the way they depreciate

It is probably on tick anyway

I've had one plus jags and porsches, it doesn't matter a toss, it just looks like you are trying very hard.

The only time someone impresses me is when they do a balls out lap round a track in one, that is what they are meant for anyway, not doing the school run

Be grateful you have better things to think about in life than the metal box you want people to see you in. I can't see the point in owning any new car though the way they depreciate

It is probably on tick anyway

Indeed. I wouldn't mind one of them though. I would have to be minted though to justify it. Don't reckon I would spend more than 10% of savings/worth on a car. So until I am a millionaire the Ferrari will have to wait. :)

Indeed. I wouldn't mind one of them though. I would have to be minted though to justify it. Don't reckon I would spend more than 10% of savings/worth on a car. So until I am a millionaire the Ferrari will have to wait. :)

I have a tuned porsche turbo now, they're great but on the road they are useless, they are so quick everything gets in your way so I just tend to drive my old hack...

Buy an old classic for less than £10k, very cheap to run and you'll have a lot more fun with that than a new one, you won't look a desperate tw*t either

He's doing Salsa Classes and Driving a Ferrari - he's not desparate though ;-)

:D

Guest theboltonfury

5 years ago I drove a top the line Jag XKR. Convertable, 402 bph, the fastest car I'll ever drive. It was a stunning car.

I didn't even get one little look from the ladies and after about a week it just became 'my car'.

I then bought a sensible car, immediately pulled a stunner and felt relieved not to have to spend half my life worrying about a car and half my income running it.

To address the OP (I have a shit car).

I don't think anyone could be characterised as a 'mug' for not being a property developer. However, I think that, particularly a couple of years ago when I joined this site - so probably even more so prior to that - there was a fairly significant amount of vitriol on these forums about people that had made money from property, as if the posters themselves had every opportunity to make millions, but specifically chose not to for ideological reasons, displaying selflessness because it was bad for the rest of society.

I'm sure there are people / posters that genuinely took that stance, but I'm guessing probably the majority either were not in the position to do the same or did not 'see' the opportunity. I am one of those people and, I think reasonably, I am now irritated by the situation as prices are absolutely ludicrous.

Also, whilst I think there are people to 'blame', in my opinion mostly policy makers and some ruthless megalomaniacs, I have no real issue with most people that made money through property because a lot of them did it by accident and a lot of them genuinely couldn't see the damage it was doing.

I'd guess that there are quite a few people, like me, that do wish they had jumped on the bandwagon at the right time and are actually a little bitter about it if they are honest with themselves.

I could be wrong.

5 years ago I drove a top the line Jag XKR. Convertable, 402 bph, the fastest car I'll ever drive. It was a stunning car.

I didn't even get one little look from the ladies and after about a week it just became 'my car'.

I then bought a sensible car, immediately pulled a stunner and felt relieved not to have to spend half my life worrying about a car and half my income running it.

When I was younger and dating I'd always turn up for a first date in a van, I'd apologise that my car was being repaired.

If a woman wasn't going to worry about what car I drove and was that materialistic I'd rather know straight off, it saved buying them a kfc :)

It all depends on what kind of person you are.

I remember when I started working for myself a couple of years ago. A friend of mine told me I should claim back the cost of my new laptop as an expense. I didn't because I had bought a few months prior, it seemed a bit cheeky.

Then the MP's expenses scandal hit and heard MPs saying that they were only doing what anyone else in their position would have done... yeah right :angry:

I guess I can let the people that were genuinely ignorant of the overall effect pass... just.

But the way I see it people that see no issue with cheating the system are a lower form of life. Seriously.

Most evolved life-forms instinctively know how to live in balance with the eco-system (ok, maybe they are kept in check by other species).

Once in a while you find a species that can't do this, like Koala bears, they only eat one kind of eucalyptus tree and they don't stop eating until all the trees in their neighbourhood are bare... then the Koala's die off.

People that abuse our economic-ecological-system are leaches that are so dumb that they don't see a problem with killing the host.

No we are not mugs, we want to economic-ecology to be sustainable for all, not take short term gain at the expense of economic collapse.

Guest theboltonfury

When I was younger and dating I'd always turn up for a first date in a van, I'd apologise that my car was being repaired.

If a woman wasn't going to worry about what car I drove and was that materialistic I'd rather know straight off, it saved buying them a kfc :)

I once went on a date with a girl from St.Helens (first problem). I picked her up in my gleaming and hugley powered Jag. The first think she said was 'you didn't have to rent for the night this just to impress me', before ordering the most expensive stuff on the menu plus 2 bottles of pricey wine.

Didn't stop me boning her and sending her home in a cab the next morning though.

I once went on a date with a girl from St.Helens (first problem). I picked her up in my gleaming and hugley powered Jag. The first think she said was 'you didn't have to rent for the night this just to impress me', before ordering the most expensive stuff on the menu plus 2 bottles of pricey wine.

Didn't stop me boning her and sending her home in a cab the next morning though.

Like a well-to-do Jack Harper?

Yup, but i'd always buy a Maserati.

Much like i would never buy a beamer.

I currnetly drive a Focus however. B)

I don't understand how people can be so wasteful and yet not feel any guilt. Weird.

I'm the type of person who would buy a £200k Aston Martin after winning £40 million on the lottery......and still feel guilty about it.

I ask myself....if I was very rich, would I buy a Ferrari? A 1970's Daytona maybe, but none of the recent ones appeal.

Top tip! :lol:

I once went clubbing in St Helens.

A real classy night out.

Not!

He's doing Salsa Classes and Driving a Ferrari - he's not desparate though ;-)

Not for long (the salsa classes, I mean).

Speaking as something of a salsa geek - the crowd in these places is notoriously low-spending. You occasionally see newbies turn up and "flash the cash", they never last long as one the reasons people go there is to get away from conspicuous consumption and turn up their noses at someone buying bottles of bubbly from the bar.

Guest theboltonfury

I once went clubbing in St Helens.

A real classy night out.

Not!

It's a good honest Rugby League town. The lads are all hard as nails and the girls will give you a blowie for a Cherry Wkd.

Reminds me of my youth, myself and another member here used to cruise about in a very crap car (mine!) and we didnt have enough money to buy kfc for ourselves and the ladies. so we did the honourable thing:

We dropped them off at the bus stop ;)

Guest DestroyBrown

I'm increasingly believing that we are the mugs.

The govt seem hell bent on pegging the IR's at near zero, whilst inflation rips.