House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
JoeDavola

Just Received My First Tenant's Agreement...

I've just received my tenants agreement - I've never rented before so I'm unsure what I should be keeping an eye out for or what potential pitfalls there are.

So any advice would be appreciated!

The apartment is supposed to be furnished - and the agreement makes reference to the possibility of an inventory, but no inventory has been included - should I phone up and ask for an inventory?

As I said earlier, any other advice is appreciated.

I've just received my tenants agreement - I've never rented before so I'm unsure what I should be keeping an eye out for or what potential pitfalls there are.

The apartment is supposed to be furnished - and the agreement makes reference to the possibility of an inventory, but no inventory has been included - should I phone up and ask for an inventory?

I would chase up the inventory , also do your own. Always a good idea to take some photo's which can come in handy at the end of the lease. Best of luck with the new place ;)

I'm thinking of renting a flat with a mate in B'fast. Was it hard to find somewhere reasonable at a good price?

I'm thinking of renting a flat with a mate in B'fast. Was it hard to find somewhere reasonable at a good price?

If your after one of the modern apartment blocks in the city centre, my experience was that the nice ones let very quickly. I paid more than I expected to be paying for a 1 bed flat, but it's in the perfect area and it's really well presented - less than 10 min walk to work and all the places I would want to spend my free time are on my doorstep. I figured if I am gonna move somewhere I may as well pay an extra hundred quid a month and get somewhere thats perfect. Plus I don't have a car and have no intention of getting one, and with the location of this flat will have no commuting costs at all.

Anyway I went off on a tangent there - what I was trying to say is that if you find somewhere nice, you'll probably have to act quickly to get it and probably won't be able to do much haggling.

Edited by JoeDavola

take photo's and burn them to dvd, send a copy of the dvd to the managing agent and post yourself a copy of the dvd too. That way any claims of damage etc..you can prove you didn't do it so photograph everything :)

carpets, any stains already there etc...

You must get a rent book, which should include a whole manner of things, from memory;

-Contact details for the LL

-The agreed rent

-How much of the rent is rates

-Safety cert for gas + maybe elec

-EPC for the property

-Instructions on how to use the systems, heating etc, location of stop ****, gas meter, safety cut off etc.

-An Inventory

Some of the above will be in the contract and the contract can be part of the rent book.

This is all a legal requirement, but like many things these days we have lots of regs and no policing.

Renting is pretty good with low levels of commitment so don't worry too much, worst that normally happen is bad LL will try to take your deposit, very little control here for that, and the EA normally takes it as their fee so the LL effectively does not have it.

In my case I got an amature LL (developer), and had to sort out most problems myself, but he was amenable to rent reductions so not a bad guy. I did get lumbered with ridiculous heating bills. EPC came in after but it probably would not have helped.

If you are renting a house make sure you check the contract for rates, normally it is included but above a certain DCV you are the default payer, and you can easily be liable for £2500/year. I had to send copies of the contract to get the rates people off my back, LL hadn't registered/paid of course.

Biggest item for negotiation is length of contract, I'd recommend a longer contract (1 -2 years) than a shorter more flexible one, unless you really think you will need to move in 6 months or something. Being moved on is getting very common these days, and just approaching the issue may help you tease out LL intentions.

Joe,

I've just come across the "Absolutely everything you need to know about renting" on the propertypal blog. It might be helpful:

http://www.propertypal.com/property-news/the-monster-guide-to-renting-a-property