House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Longtermrenter

House Of Horrors

Moved into a new rental property. It has been on the market at 775 pcm for a while. We went to have a look at it and managed to bump into the landlord. I tied him down to a deal where I pay 650 pcm by paying a full year up front. We agreed that I would get the gas safety certificate and oil safety certificate. It is LPG for the cooking and oil for the heating. we also agreed he would pay half the costs of providing curtains and full costs for a sattelite dish and that the garden would be cleared as it was full of boilers, fridges, gas bottles, you name it - it took 2 x full van loads on a long wheelbase hi top transit!

Other problems that have arisen:

Gas regulator needed changing

I had to fill the oil tank to get the boiler tested. It leaked 300litres of oil over the garden... tank has been replaced by a temporary one whilst the insurance company decide when they are going to remove the contaminated soil and replace the oil tank with a new one. Worried this is really going to mess up my neighbours immaculate gardens.

Recirculating pump was knackered, boiler unserviceable because it can not be opened up to work on and is seized shut. It works however and passed the CO2 test - however, the oil engineer recommended that it be replaced as if anything goes wrong it can not be fixed - he said it didnt sound too healthy.

Hot water tank sprang a leak and this and its element have had to be replaced. Also water started coming through the kitchen ceiling - this was where the bath was not sealed properly so I have resealed this and now it is ok. Sink leaks too.

Electrics are a nightmare too. Fridge runs across back door entrance into a twin gang connected by flex to a four way adaptor which is plugged into a twin gang socket. Broken sockets here and there and there were bare wires to the immersion heater before it was replaced. Also there is flex used to install the jacuzzi bath pump and shower boost pump where it should be twin and earth. I am going to have an electrician perform an inspection of the electrics to see what is and what is not safe.

Then all the drains started to back up on first day - turns out the cess tank was full - had this emptied this morning and the soakaway need flushing as water is rolling back into the tank. Seems that even after the flush this cess tank might be knackered (ie. filling up immediately with water)

Other problems included having to re-plaster a small area of the chimney that had damp plaster (used renovating plaster), doors that are hung badly and what looks like a mains waterleak at the front.

Other than the above (!!!) the house is ideal for us with lots of parking, a big garden and plenty of room inside and in a nice countryside location.

Questions:

1. What if this tank keeps filling up (neighbour and gut that emptied tank said the previous occupier had it emptied every month and this costs about £80.00) can I ask the owner to have this remedied? Surely I can not be expected to keep emptying something that is broken?

2. Doing all this work amounts to renovating the house for him - can I claim reasonable expenses for phone calls and lost work (I am self employed and it has hammered my business getting all this done)

3. Can I demand the boiler is replaced as this has been recommended by an OFTEC engineer.

Why are you trying to fix the place for the landlord? He has responsibilities, but by paying him a year upfront you don't have much leverage. I hope you were fully aware of what you were going into...

You're mad. You've paid him upfront and moved into a building site. And if that wasn't bad enough you're now doing the place up for him!

1. What if this tank keeps filling up (neighbour and gut that emptied tank said the previous occupier had it emptied every month and this costs about £80.00) can I ask the owner to have this remedied? Surely I can not be expected to keep emptying something that is broken?

I would of thought that this is your LL's problem, not yours. It's a integral part of the property so why should you pay for it?

2. Doing all this work amounts to renovating the house for him - can I claim reasonable expenses for phone calls and lost work (I am self employed and it has hammered my business getting all this done)

I wouldn't do the work full stop. This is his problem not yours. If he doesn't like being a LL then he should get out while he still can.

3. Can I demand the boiler is replaced as this has been recommended by an OFTEC engineer.

I should think so. I'm afraid it sounds like he's taking the pi$$ from you.

You're mad. You've paid him upfront and moved into a building site. And if that wasn't bad enough you're now doing the place up for him!

I would of thought that this is your LL's problem, not yours. It's a integral part of the property so why should you pay for it?

I wouldn't do the work full stop. This is his problem not yours. If he doesn't like being a LL then he should get out while he still can.

I should think so. I'm afraid it sounds like he's taking the pi$$ from you.

Sounds like you've taken on a hell-hole of a house ?, and I'm not sure why you have done so ?.

I sometimes despair at the attitude of many renters on here who won't even lift a finger to change a lightbulb, but then happy to complain about how long it takes the LL to do it for them, but the work you mention should be done by the owner of the property, not his tenants.

Sounds like you've taken on a hell-hole of a house ?, and I'm not sure why you have done so ?.

I sometimes despair at the attitude of many renters on here who won't even lift a finger to change a lightbulb, but then happy to complain about how long it takes the LL to do it for them, but the work you mention should be done by the owner of the property, not his tenants.

Sorry, writing this on a dumbphone (not smart). I forgot to mention, I have paid a months deposit but retain the years rent. The agreement was to take the money out of the balance to do the initial work mentioned in my op. I an wondering now how long I should give him to get emergency work done like the boiler and more importantly the cesspit. I know I seem mad but it is hard to find a property with a years tenancy here and hard to find a 3 bed house to sent down here for less than 800 a month and dont get me started on the council tax! A slightly crappy property has the advantage that you dont have to worry about every little mark like I did in the last two which were brand new. I did not expect it to be this bad tho.

Moved into a new rental property. It has been on the market at 775 pcm for a while. We went to have a look at it and managed to bump into the landlord. I tied him down to a deal where I pay 650 pcm by paying a full year up front. We agreed that I would get the gas safety certificate and oil safety certificate. It is LPG for the cooking and oil for the heating. we also agreed he would pay half the costs of providing curtains and full costs for a sattelite dish and that the garden would be cleared as it was full of boilers, fridges, gas bottles, you name it - it took 2 x full van loads on a long wheelbase hi top transit!

Other problems that have arisen:

Gas regulator needed changing

I had to fill the oil tank to get the boiler tested. It leaked 300litres of oil over the garden... tank has been replaced by a temporary one whilst the insurance company decide when they are going to remove the contaminated soil and replace the oil tank with a new one. Worried this is really going to mess up my neighbours immaculate gardens.

Recirculating pump was knackered, boiler unserviceable because it can not be opened up to work on and is seized shut. It works however and passed the CO2 test - however, the oil engineer recommended that it be replaced as if anything goes wrong it can not be fixed - he said it didnt sound too healthy.

Hot water tank sprang a leak and this and its element have had to be replaced. Also water started coming through the kitchen ceiling - this was where the bath was not sealed properly so I have resealed this and now it is ok. Sink leaks too.

Electrics are a nightmare too. Fridge runs across back door entrance into a twin gang connected by flex to a four way adaptor which is plugged into a twin gang socket. Broken sockets here and there and there were bare wires to the immersion heater before it was replaced. Also there is flex used to install the jacuzzi bath pump and shower boost pump where it should be twin and earth. I am going to have an electrician perform an inspection of the electrics to see what is and what is not safe.

Then all the drains started to back up on first day - turns out the cess tank was full - had this emptied this morning and the soakaway need flushing as water is rolling back into the tank. Seems that even after the flush this cess tank might be knackered (ie. filling up immediately with water)

Other problems included having to re-plaster a small area of the chimney that had damp plaster (used renovating plaster), doors that are hung badly and what looks like a mains waterleak at the front.

Other than the above (!!!) the house is ideal for us with lots of parking, a big garden and plenty of room inside and in a nice countryside location.

Questions:

The landlord cannot give up his responsibility for repairs under section 11 of the 1985 Landlord tenant act, you need to contact your local environmental health officer and get them to issue and enforcement order. L should also be fines for even asking you to get a gas safety cert.

Throw the book at L, this is not fair and you are being taken advantage of

The landlord cannot give up his responsibility for repairs under section 11 of the 1985 Landlord tenant act, you need to contact your local environmental health officer and get them to issue and enforcement order. L should also be fines for even asking you to get a gas safety cert.

Throw the book at L, this is not fair and you are being taken advantage of

Exactly. However, theres something about this tale that doesnt quite ad up. You say it was originally on the market for £775. Was this through an agent? If so has this been rented out before? Clearly having 'bumped' into the owner, you're not using an agent now, are you actually legally tenanted or have you come to an 'informal' arrangement with the owner for the benefit of both of you? i.e. you pay less rent and he still gets his post sent their? (you know what Im saying).

If you have knowingly gone into an informal 'house sit' type arrangement, then you need to make some quick decisions. The first is get this onto a formal footing. Matt is quite right that you CANNOT obtain Gas safety certs etc as the LL is legally responsible. Any messing around with utilities by a tenant will see you in court, whether it be now, in 6 months or in a year. What if a young family follow you in and have a serious incident? The fact you have already caused serious damage and contamination by messing with the oil tanks is really really serious. At this stage, the LL can plead ignorance, as you're doing this off your own bat. Stop immediately, and refuse any further rent payments until legal Gas, Oil and electrical safety certs, obtained by the owner, are given to you. If you have a tenancy agreement, then as Matt says, get the authorities involved a.s.a.p.

Exactly. However, theres something about this tale that doesnt quite ad up. You say it was originally on the market for £775. Was this through an agent? If so has this been rented out before? Clearly having 'bumped' into the owner, you're not using an agent now, are you actually legally tenanted or have you come to an 'informal' arrangement with the owner for the benefit of both of you? i.e. you pay less rent and he still gets his post sent their? (you know what Im saying).

If you have knowingly gone into an informal 'house sit' type arrangement, then you need to make some quick decisions. The first is get this onto a formal footing. Matt is quite right that you CANNOT obtain Gas safety certs etc as the LL is legally responsible. Any messing around with utilities by a tenant will see you in court, whether it be now, in 6 months or in a year. What if a young family follow you in and have a serious incident? The fact you have already caused serious damage and contamination by messing with the oil tanks is really really serious. At this stage, the LL can plead ignorance, as you're doing this off your own bat. Stop immediately, and refuse any further rent payments until legal Gas, Oil and electrical safety certs, obtained by the owner, are given to you. If you have a tenancy agreement, then as Matt says, get the authorities involved a.s.a.p.

I do have a tenancy agreement signed aw up both. No section 21. I also have trail of email correspondence. The agents are a company who foot really care about this stuff so in some ways I am better off as I would be doing everything through then with even more phone calls. The ll knocked off 75 pcm for not going through an agent and I knocked another 50 pcm off for year up front deal. I didnt mess around the oil tank, I just had it filled with oil and then it leaked. Even if the boiler had a safety cert I could not forsee that. Thanks for all the comments very helpful.

I do have a tenancy agreement signed aw up both. No section 21. I also have trail of email correspondence. The agents are a company who foot really care about this stuff so in some ways I am better off as I would be doing everything through then with even more phone calls. The ll knocked off 75 pcm for not going through an agent and I knocked another 50 pcm off for year up front deal. I didnt mess around the oil tank, I just had it filled with oil and then it leaked. Even if the boiler had a safety cert I could not forsee that. Thanks for all the comments very helpful.

Bloody mobile - sorry for the spelling mistakes from the predictive text.

I would like to share my experience here. In my past rental apartment I had did some repairs and spent good amount of money to make it live able. After that when I asked my landlord to give me that money then he replied that you didn't concerned me about the repair. You wanted the change so you have to bare the charge of make it good, not me. And I lost 500$ so I would advice never repair anything in rental house just live in it in whatever condition it is because after all it's not our own property.