House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Bucephalus

Hpc Elevator Pitch

Business have the concept of a elevator pitch (american idea hence not a lift pitch), where in the 3 minutes you share a lift with someone you have to convince them of an idea you have. So you might get in an elevator with a billionaire and you have three minutes to convince them to invest in your great new business proposition.

If you had three minutes to convince someone that a house price crash was highly likely what would you say?

My first point would be that we are way off the historical price earnings ratio.

My second might be that when it is cheaper to rent than buy, something is not right.

Other ideas?

B.

It is the very concept of having to explain, sell, convince and influence anyone about anything in three minutes which has partially lead to the boom, and subsequent bust cycles which invest most of the world economies.

No subject can be explained capably in three minutes so why even bother.

I am now giving you three words in which to eloquently counter my argument (according to your own rules!). (and no quick insults please....) :D

VP

Edited by VacantPossession

ok my 2p worth.

the world of finance is controlled by a few people with BIG money.they constantly demand returns on their investments and so will swap from one asset class to another in order to make money.

...be it bonds,shares,property,gold,commodities.....it makes NO difference...the aim of the game is to MAKE MAXIMUM PROFIT AT MINIMAL RISK.These guys make even MORE money by trying to suck YOU into the system and play their game,even though you don't know all the rules.

when they decide to cash in their chips,they will happily give up the "lucky seat" to the guy who has been watching on the sidelines,and wants a piece of the action.Thing is,all the luck just ran out in that seat so mr Big walks away quids in and leaves the poor sucker holding the baby.

...THE BASIC RULE IS,DON'T GET EMOTIONAL.

IF AN ASSET IS MAKING MONEY...HOLD IT,UNLESS ANOTHER ASSET CAN MAKE YOU MORE.

IF IT ISN'T.....SELL IT AND FIND ONE THAT WILL.

...AND THE BIG ONE,KNOW WHEN TO CASH IN(THAT'S THE TRICKY ONE)

...the way stockmarkets work is they try to predict what earnings and profits will be like months out,which is why the index can go down even when news is good(it either means it wasn't as good as expected,or bad times are ahead)

Edited by oracle

My first point would be that we are way off the historical price earnings ratio.

But it's different this time. Low interest rates and low unemployment.

My second might be that when it is cheaper to rent than buy, something is not right.

But it's different this time. You've got to get on the ladder before you're completely priced out.

I've heard both of these. Two minutes and counting.

Or:

Quickly fall cross legged to the floor while not saying a word, get out a pack of cards and build the biggest card tower time will allow. The say "watch..." as you remove the bottom layer!

It is the very concept of having to explain, sell, convince and influence anyone about anything in three minutes which has partially lead to the boom, and subsequent bust cycles which invest most of the world economies.

No subject can be explained capably in three minutes so why even bother.

I am now giving you three words in which to eloquently counter my argument (according to your own rules!). (and no quick insults please....) :D

VP

Sometimes you have to explain something quick. So you want a few killer arguments to retain attention and get three hours to go into detail later.

I see lots of people who I want to warn about a probable HPC. I don't have 30 minutes when I see them. I have 3. If i can get them interested, i can tell them more later.

an elevator pitch is not to replace a long exlanation, it's to convince the listener to give you some of their valuable time to go into more detail.

So I repeat my question. What would you put in your elevator pitch?

Sometimes you have to explain something quick. So you want a few killer arguments to retain attention and get three hours to go into detail later.

I see lots of people who I want to warn about a probable HPC. I don't have 30 minutes when I see them. I have 3. If i can get them interested, i can tell them more later.

an elevator pitch is not to replace a long exlanation, it's to convince the listener to give you some of their valuable time to go into more detail.

So I repeat my question. What would you put in your elevator pitch?

I would draw the graph on the front page..

ans show the classicx crusty video on my phone.

But it's different this time. Low interest rates and low unemployment.

But it's different this time. You've got to get on the ladder before you're completely priced out.

I've heard both of these. Two minutes and counting.

I agree with the Duke of Hazzard that the property myths would be fired back at you in the elevator.

What we need is a quick fire, effective reply list to counter the major myths, stopping them dead.

I started a property myths thread that contains most of them. http://www.housepricecrash.co.uk/forum/ind...?showtopic=2950

Seem to remember Warwickshire Lad, webmaster of FirstTimeBuyerHelp.co.uk was working on a similar subject, re: countering certain property myths.

As an anecdote, someone gave me the 'The Government won't let a crash happen' the other day. My reply was ' the Gov does not have enough money to stop a crash even if it wanted to'

EDIT: Maybe if the debunking of the most common myths were covered in the pitch, it would take the wind out of their sails.

Edited by Saving For a Space Ship

3 minute pitch.

Its not a house price bubble its an overall debt bubble based on a speculative market. A speculative market can increase substantially above sustainable value whilst people are prepared to speculate

The market in this was house prices, for short term gains people were able to quickly turn over property for high profit.

Also people where able release equity from existing homes as their value increased.

this speculation is based on borrowing. Huge amounts of money has been borrowed in the last 6 years, over £600,000,000,000

this is enough to cripple any economy. It has been allowed to climb this high as people did not only borrow to invest, other borrowed to spend.

this filled the whole in the economy left by the higher debt repayments.

Debt based economies can only survive whilst people are able or prepared to continue borrowing.

People get nervous, stop borrowing and then the debt repayments for the extra £600,000,000,000 hits the rest of the economy like a hoover.

House prices do not fall in a recession, they cause recessions and then they fall.

One sentance.

There is no such thing as free money.

another.

There has never been a bubble that has not burst.

one last one..

Most have not been made rich by house prices, they have been convinced that they might be and have got massivly in debt

quite simple.

its gonna crash coz the market stalled. (as of interest rate rise last summer)

for years of double digit rises people were chucking their money at it. now thats stopped people will wait to see what happens. while they're waiting sellers are stacking up (as we can see) so they drop their prices to be the lucky ones to sell.

people on the sidelines quite interested in this. watch some more.

crash.

Edited by dunroamin