House Price Crash Forum
shavedchimp

Tenant Check-In Disbursement Fee

I am currently negotiating moving in to a property, and I've just recieved an invoice from the letting agent. It contains a previously hidden fee:

'Tenant Check-in disbursement fee' for which they want to charge me 86 quid.

I wasn't warned, and they haven't explained what it is. As I asked earlier this month about any fees - and this was not declared - I've asked them to remove it. I feel so annoyed I might refuse to sign the contract unless it is removed.

Have you ever heard of it?

shavedchimp

Guest DissipatedYouthIsValuable

I am currently negotiating moving in to a property, and I've just recieved an invoice from the letting agent. It contains a previously hidden fee:

I wasn't warned, and they haven't explained what it is. As I asked earlier this month about any fees - and this was not declared - I've asked them to remove it. I feel so annoyed I might refuse to sign the contract unless it is removed.

shavedchimp

Dear Letting Agent,

Go ****** yourself.

yours sincerely

SC

Pure ********, plain and simple.

Edited by DissipatedYouthIsValuable

shavedchimp

They are trying to charge you for them processing their paperwork. You should charge them a decent hourly rate for the time you took completing their paperwork.

Tell them to stick it where the sun doesnt shine. They are getting paid by the landlord so thats it end of.

Dont pay it, stick to your guns!

Tell them to stick it where the sun doesnt shine. They are getting paid by the landlord so thats it end of.

Dont pay it, stick to your guns!

Thanks for all your advice - I'll let you know what happens

shavedchimp

Thanks for all your advice - I'll let you know what happens

shavedchimp

Disbursement fees are one of the tricks that solicitors and the like use. Photocopies charged at £1/page, faxes at £5 each, etc. It's a way of trying to get the client pay for their overheads. I would argue that these charges are almost invariably overpriced and unreasonable to charge for at any cost.

Disbursement fees are one of the tricks that solicitors and the like use. Photocopies charged at £1/page, faxes at £5 each, etc. It's a way of trying to get the client pay for their overheads. I would argue that these charges are almost invariably overpriced and unreasonable to charge for at any cost.

It has been explained to me today by said LA that this is in fact a check in fee, related to an inventory check being done.

As the property is unfurnished and one of her LA colleagues stated recently that there would be no inventory, and hence no extra fees - I think I should dispute this - and threaten to cancel if they persist. Are charges for doing an inventory normal?

Is that the correct course of action? I want to move into the house, but don't want to line their pockets unnecessarily - it's a matter of principle ain't it?

shavedchimp

It has been explained to me today by said LA that this is in fact a check in fee, related to an inventory check being done.

As the property is unfurnished and one of her LA colleagues stated recently that there would be no inventory, and hence no extra fees - I think I should dispute this - and threaten to cancel if they persist. Are charges for doing an inventory normal?

Is that the correct course of action? I want to move into the house, but don't want to line their pockets unnecessarily - it's a matter of principle ain't it?

shavedchimp

Well it comes down to how much u want the place at the end of the day, if you dont then walk away but u "may" find the next place has the same fees so are you better off?

i refused to pay the check in fee, was prepared to lose where we are, agent backed down. only play hardball if you will go through with it, the key arguement i used was "why should i pay for you to produce a list which you will later use to try and keep my deposit" but worded nowhere near as nicely as that

of course you still want the inventory done (and take your own photos) u just dont want to pay for it

Edited by Rozza

shavedchimp

Screw them, the inventory is for their benefit, not yours.

x2.haggle msot of these fees are negotiable whatever they may claim.

LA's are only in it for the money.£86 is probably a month or two's fees on a tenanted property.

I have made a small victory! The LA has now conceded that there will in fact be no inventory done on an unfurnished property - and so they have removed this charge. Hooray.

However, here's the next hurdle: I have asked for a 2 year tenancy to avoid the LA trying to charge me a 90quid renewal fee - and now the landlord has asked for there to be a clause stating that an annual rental increase between 3-8% RPI will apply. That equates to between 300-900 a year.

What do you think of that?

shavedchimp

I have made a small victory! The LA has now conceded that there will in fact be no inventory done on an unfurnished property - and so they have removed this charge. Hooray.

However, here's the next hurdle: I have asked for a 2 year tenancy to avoid the LA trying to charge me a 90quid renewal fee - and now the landlord has asked for there to be a clause stating that an annual rental increase between 3-8% RPI will apply. That equates to between 300-900 a year.

shavedchimp

Don't agree to it. When the AST runs out you'll automatically go onto a statutory periodic tenancy, in the past I've been on one for 5 years without a rent increase.

shavedchimp

Just do a one year and roll onto a periodic, you never know what your (or the economies) situation will be in 12 months time.

As for renewal fee, dont pay it...PERIOD

The letting agent is trying to charge a "renewal fee" to the TENANT?

I think they are taking the proverbial charging a hefty fee to the landlord for basically doing nothing for "renewing" the tenancy, but wanting to charge the tenant really is pure greed!

As a landlord, I only use agents if a flat is slow to let, and I hate them for their greed to both me and to prospective tenants.

We generally advertise our own places on the net and we don't charge any ****** fees to the tenants.

I also like it if a local agent calls me from an ad on Gumtree.com or similar web site, asking "if we've rented it yet, because we have tenants waiting".

Because they have called me, I can then dictate terms, like "OK, you can let it, but my terms are 6% fee and no renewal fees". If they argue, I just say "take it or leave it, you called me".