House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

DrMartinSanchez

Google Has Lost Its 'pages From The Uk Button'

'Change for changes sake.' Google has lost that little button that lets you restrict your search to pages from the UK, only.

Now I'm overwhelmed with endless offers to sell me, say a kettle, from the US, Greenland and Korea - very useful.

Why do they meddle with things that are not broken? Why do they always become 'evil'? (Or is it just some weird setting only I have?)

Just write to them, I'm sure they will care.

'Change for change's sake.' Google has lost that little button that lets you restrict your search to pages from the UK, only.

Now I'm overwhelmed with endless offers to sell me, say a kettle, from the US, Greenland and Korea - very useful.

Why do they meddle with things that are not broken? Why do they always become 'evil'? (Or is it just some weird setting only I have?)

I think it was to force you to navigate via more ads (but I might be being too cynical).

You could use this URL:

http://www.google.co.uk/firefox?client=firefox-a&rls=org.mozilla:en-UK:official

Yep, driving me nuts too - there is a way to set the box next to the address bar to uk only results. Can't remember how i did it though.

Also whilst we're on the subject of google changing stuff for no reason... does anyone know how to get rid of that ugly sidebar which has cropped up recently?

Google UK appears to be defaulting to hitting UK sites.

I typed in 'buying a kettle' and it just returned loads of UK hits.

I typed in 'Swansea' and it brought back loads of UK Swansea info and not other Swanseas.

Do you mean the side-wiki? I'm always signed in, so if I right-click on it, I can disable it permanently. (But if I'm not signed in, I have to do it each session.)

Google - we loved you for your simplicity. Don't be lured by the yahoo-msn side.

Talking of which have you tried:

http://www.bing.com/

's'alright.

I just made up the kettle example. I was looking up a medical news article to send to a relative, and I got pages and pages of US and far eastern newspapers and TV sites running the story (none of which, she would trust) - not a Times or BBC in sight.

Also, if you go to advanced options and 'Date, usage rights, numeric range, and more' you can select specific regions.

Annoying, isn't it? It took me a long time to get rid of the fading-in effect when you move your mouse, and now they've changed it again. Now it looks as if the search bar is raised instead of recessed, and I keep thinking something's wrong with my browser..

Google UK appears to be defaulting to hitting UK sites.

I typed in 'buying a kettle' and it just returned loads of UK hits.

I typed in 'Swansea' and it brought back loads of UK Swansea info and not other Swanseas.

I find that too. Does it use your IP address to filter perhaps ?

I'd noticed that without noticing, if you see what I mean, but now you spell it out, Scunnered - yes, that is a deliberate design decision of theirs - and it is pants.

(As these companies' marketing men meddle and fiddle, little do they realise that slowly, slowly, day by day, they are prodding me with a blunt stick to live very quietly in a little turf mound, down by a quiet beach, feasting on shellfish, berries and mice cooked over my roaring fire.)

I didn't notice that either. However, it is now burning my eyes.

GODDAMNIT!!

You can just add +.co.uk to the end of your search.

You can also use the site parameter to filter only UK pages. I often restrict my searches to only include .edu pages as you get a ton of free documentation. For instance if you want to find only pdf documents from American Universities that are about sql server enter the following:

[ "sql server" filetype:pdf site:.edu ]

You must have a space after and before each of the square brackets, it took me a while to work that out and will save frustration.

If they are like every other tech company, I'm sure that finding a 'phone number or e-mail address or a mailbox, to converse with a real, live person would be impossible.

Not quite.

Yesterday I emailed Microsoft. I'd explored all their web info about licencing Bing Maps for my company and emailed explainnig that I wanted to know the price of the licence so I could buy some of their product.

Their response told me to either

a) go and read the web page from which I'd pressed the 'contact us' button to make my enquiry, or

B) telephone them.

I enjoyed that the person advising me the only way to converse was by phone signed off their email with " <name> I'm a PC and I run windows 7".

If I'm going to making micro-contributions to anyone, it's not Microsoft, sorry. :D

Bill Gates entire wealth to go to philanthropic causes over his lifetime. Why not?

'Change for change's sake.' Google has lost that little button that lets you restrict your search to pages from the UK, only.

Indeed - I've found Google English etc, but why not just leave the damn thing alone: it worked perfectly well. :huh:

Google has an option that saves your history and bases new searches on it.

"Your search results may be customised using search activity from this computer."

When you search - top right hand side 'search history' tells you the score. You can change the settings if you want.

I'm glad this thread was started. I had the feeling I'd hit some button or other and that's why Google was looking different.

Google, now with new improved newness.

google are f****king c***nts

why don't you say it like it is :D

I thought I'd pressed the wrong button too, why do people have to change things?

Today they have started adding background images, which makes a lot of the hyperlinks barely legible.

The solution? Change the background image by creating an account with Google.

Disclosing your ID to company that had such concern for privacy that they drove round grabbing information from private insecure WiFi systems.

Yeah, righhht....

Time to change my default search engine, I think.

Today they have started adding background images, which makes a lot of the hyperlinks barely legible.

The solution? Change the background image by creating an account with Google.

Disclosing your ID to company that had such concern for privacy that they drove round grabbing information from private insecure WiFi systems.

Yeah, righhht....

Time to change my default search engine, I think.

The backgrounds aren't just one of their something-different-for-a-day things? Yuck.