House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ken_ichikawa

Legalise Weed

http://www.smh.com.au/world/marijuana-tax-among-plans-for-cashstrapped-us-states-20100514-v4dy.html

US Plan to do just that.

How much you reckon it would raise? Not to mention the destruction of drug dealers profitabilties and (possible) fall in crime due to this, as if we grow them in massive hydroponics bays like the massive tomato farm, surely we'd get economies or scale...

Or would the tax just mean it'd be like cigarettes i.e. people buy tax(ed) less smuggled cigarettes and grow their own?

I've yet to hear anyone make a convincing argument why cannabis should be illegal while alcohol is legal. There's logic in both being legal or both being illegal but the present situation makes no sense to me.

http://www.smh.com.au/world/marijuana-tax-among-plans-for-cashstrapped-us-states-20100514-v4dy.html

US Plan to do just that.

How much you reckon it would raise? Not to mention the destruction of drug dealers profitabilties and (possible) fall in crime due to this, as if we grow them in massive hydroponics bays like the massive tomato farm, surely we'd get economies or scale...

Or would the tax just mean it'd be like cigarettes i.e. people buy tax(ed) less smuggled cigarettes and grow their own?

If it were legal it would be hard to tax something that grows easily in a small cupboard with some basic equipment, or in your back garden.

I've been advocating it for years and not just cannabis, think of the money the exchequer could bring in from coke.

They just need to make sure it's cheaper than the illegal stuff which really wouldn't be difficult.

If it were legal it would be hard to tax something that grows easily in a small cupboard with some basic equipment, or in your back garden.

yes, but you cannot grow a significant amount in a small scale home grow situation - not enough to make it viable. Also the electric bill is shocking.

I agree with the previous poster, i have yet to hear a legitimate argument why it should be illegal also. California are really going for it big time http://www.taxcannabis2010.org/

There is no doubt in my mind that California will do it this november. I bet the UK then looks at how Cali's experiment goes and a few years from now will propose something similair

Tobacco can be grown legally with no tax, in fact it grows like a weed :) same with homebrew. Some would grow their own many others coudn't be bothered and would buy it. Main problem would be those growing and selling, best solution there would be to keep the official price as low as possible (not get greedy with the tax).

You could use the same argument with beer - homebrew is legal but its hardly a threat to the tax revenue

No doubt legalising weed will be one of those things that has totally unforeseen consequences that only become apparent once you have actually legalised it, but ....

.... I think it is a viable idea. I see no real reason for certain grades of cannabis to be illegal, though I do wonder what the policy would be on second-hand smoke and driving or operating heavy machinery.

And while we are at it, can we get the law preventing the cultivation of tobacco plants in Britain removed as well?

Tobacco can be grown legally with no tax, in fact it grows like a weed :)

I though it was illegal to grow tobacco in Britain, a legal hangover from the days of the American colonies?

No doubt legalising weed will be one of those things that has totally unforeseen consequences that only become apparent once you have actually legalised it, but ....

.... I think it is a viable idea. I see no real reason for certain grades of cannabis to be illegal, though I do wonder what the policy would be on second-hand smoke and driving or operating heavy machinery.

And while we are at it, can we get the law preventing the cultivation of tobacco plants in Britain removed as well?

Does it? in Asia you can go to a pharmacy and buy almost anything you want like methadone and all sorts of opiates and not have to show a script and yet there isn't a drug problem in Asia or at least I haven't seen ot heard about it.

I though it was illegal to grow tobacco in Britain, a legal hangover from the days of the American colonies?

I don't think it's illegal anywhere in the world. You have to pay duty on it though.

2.9 Must private individuals pay duty on tobacco products made from tobacco which they grow themselves?

Yes. A private individual must pay the duty on any tobacco products that they make from tobacco which they have grown. This applies whether the tobacco products are intended for sale or solely for the grower’s own consumption. Anyone intending to manufacture tobacco products must comply with the conditions set out in this notice. You must register the premises which you use to make tobacco and complete form TP7A to account for all tobacco products that you have manufactured for your own consumption and on which duty is due

http://customs.hmrc.gov.uk/channelsPortalWebApp/channelsPortalWebApp.portal?_nfpb=true&_pageLabel=pageExcise_ShowContent&id=HMCE_CL_000268&propertyType=document

I'm sure it wasn't taxed last time I checked - oh well they just can't resist grabbing a few extra pennies can they :rolleyes:

People wouldn't bother though. It's possible to easily grow or make many things but people don't. I mean, why would anyone buy shop bought wine when you can make excellent booze at home for just over a quid a bottle? You can grow tobacco in this country as well but who does?

Guest X-QUORK

Legalise now! And if we're going to tax drugs, let's rank them in terms of harm...that way cannabis will be nice and cheap.