House Price Crash Forum

I'm a cash buyer, offering the full asking price, and was prepared to give the flexibility on completion dates that the vendor wanted. On Friday my offer was accepted, today it's been trumped and the property is now going to "full and final bids".

Ho hum.

I'm a cash buyer, offering the full asking price, and was prepared to give the flexibility on completion dates that the vendor wanted. On Friday my offer was accepted, today it's been trumped and the property is now going to "full and final bids".

Ho hum.

The thing to remember is that everywhere and every property is different to some extent. I live in Torbay and I am also a cash buyer. It's particular characteristics are that it is an overpriced area with a lot of retired folk. What that means is that they don't have to move and are generally slow on realizing that the market has changed ( a generalization obviously). That said, there are an awful lot of unsold properties, I can go on rightmove and can guarantee that at least half of the properties will have been reduced since they were placed on the market (thanks propertybee !). My conclusion ? that certainly for my area, property is coming down, slowly, but good properties in good areas will always demand a premium. As ever it's supply and demand. I think the next 6 months are going to be v. interesting and I am not looking to buy unless I see something that hits at least 80% of my criteria and at a price that leaves me mortage free. You may just be unlucky and wanted a property that was in demand, I [ersonally would not even countenance getting involved in a dutch auction, if there was even a whiff of that I would walk away ( I will never be looking to even pay the asking price). If you do want something in a very sought after area you may have to either accept that it may be a v. long time before prices come down or accept that your criteria places you at the whim of others. Either way, good luck to you, it is a tricky old business alright...

Ho hum.

Sorry to hear that.

It would be interesting to know if the gazumper is also a cash buyer.

Ho hum.

You haven't been Gazumped until it is sold.

Under no circumstances increase your offer

And if it comes back on the market in the near future reduce your original offer.

People forget that buying a house is like a game of poker

He who blinks first loses.

And if it really has been sold just buy a different house - Simples.

:)

Put in a high bid and then gazunder at the last minute. What's sauce for the goose...

(PS: and then don't buy it anyway)

Edited by mikthe20

Ho hum.

What part of the country - roughly, what sort of price?

You haven't been Gazumped until it is sold.

Under no circumstances increase your offer

And if it comes back on the market in the near future reduce your original offer.

People forget that buying a house is like a game of poker

He who blinks first loses.

And if it really has been sold just buy a different house - Simples.

:)

top advice. also check property bee to see if its been up for months....

Ho hum.

I woudl not beleive the EA....probably an offer by someone who can not sell their own property.....woudl tell them if if falls through your offer will be less.

Unlucky. If you can help it - never offer the asking price (at least as first offer) as it will come across as keen and you will then be ripe for the plucking. Personally I've been starting at 15% off - and just agreed at 10% off (but I am at the cheaper end of a falling market in my area - perhaps your situation is different).

I did have one similar situation to you - offered at 15% under. The estate agent came back and said we'd have to improve it because there was another buyer. Reckoned we'd need to go over asking price so I immediately walked away. The house wasn't worth that much to me.