House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

interestrateripoff

Fake Swedish Air Pilot Flies Passenger Jets For Thirteen Years Without A Licence... And Is Fined Just £1,700

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/worldnews/article-1279083/Fake-Swedish-pilot-Thomas-Salme-flies-Air-One-jets-13-years.html

A fake Swedish air pilot has been fined £1,700 and banned from flying for 12 months after confessing to flying passenger jets for an astonishing thirteen years without a license.

Thomas Salme, 41, was made a captain three years after conning his way on to the flight deck of Scandinavian airline Air One.

He was arrested at Amsterdam's Schipol airport in March - while seated in the cockpit of a Corendon Boeing 737 carrying 101 passengers just minutes from take-off.

Officers, who were alerted by a Swedish tip-off, said the man had once had a commercial pilot licence, but it had expired and it never qualified him for passenger flights.

He claimed that he had also flown British, Belgian and Italian airlines, though it is unclear which ones.

Last month he was fined £1,700 and was banned from flying for 12 months by a Dutch court - which noted that in the entire 13 years, he had never caused an accident.

Salme said he secretly trained himself at night on a full-scale flight simulator - and created his own license with a photocopier.

'I got the crackpot idea to apply as a co-pilot at a real airline so I made myself a Swedish flying permit with a logo out of regular white paper,' he told German magazine Focus.

'It wasn't laminated, and looked like something I'd made at home,' he said.

'It was surprisingly easy. The documents look different everywhere in Europe. An Italian airline doesn't know what a Swedish licence looks like. And you can forge all the IDs you need.'

He told the magazine that a friend who worked for Scandinavian airline SAS let him use their flight simulator at night.

At the time he was working for SAS as a maintenance engineer.

'I'd train there for two or three hours at a time- at least 15 to 20 times over one and a half years,' he told Focus.

Nice to see flying an aircraft is like driving a car without a license or insurance.

Got to love the fact they have given him a 12 month flying ban.

Any pilots out there prepared to admit if flying a plane is really this easy if you know your way around the cockpit?

Guest eight

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/worldnews/article-1279083/Fake-Swedish-pilot-Thomas-Salme-flies-Air-One-jets-13-years.html

Nice to see flying an aircraft is like driving a car without a license or insurance.

Any pilots out there prepared to admit if flying a plane is really this easy if you know your way around the cockpit?

I think the fact he was actually able to do it successfully for so long is the most telling thing. Another "easy" job with artificial barriers to entry?

eight

Well to be fair the bloke did have a lapsed commercial pilots licence, so he was hardly a novice.

He basically built his own simulator, got proficient and blagged his way in as a novice first officer. He obviously appeared to have the appropriate level of knowledge and was trained up. Inexcusable, but not impossible.

Not a pilot but I know someone who has gone through the training and is now working as one. It's really not that easy. A lot of the training seems to be emergency procedures - i.e. what to do if x, y or z happens or maybe all three at once.

Yes, there are many automated systems that almost fly the plane themselves but you have to be also be able to do it manually in an emergency. You also have to know how to use those systems properly in the first place...

You have to be 'type rated' on each model of aeroplane because they are so different - from cockpit & controls to emergency manoeuvres etc.

A lot of the training is also about communication with other planes & ground control. You need to know each airport you land at because they all have differences in which way the runway is aligned, weather, etc.

In all, it's a large 5-figure debt for all the training and exams in exchange for a career that is not as well-paying as it was 20 years ago due to the low-cost airlines. Plus, as more airlines go bust the number of pilot jobs will decrease as well.

I know this place is pretty negative generally but please don't troll for dirt like a rabid Daily Mail reporter.

I think the fact he was actually able to do it successfully for so long is the most telling thing. Another "easy" job with artificial barriers to entry?

eight

I think this is a bit like someone driving a bus with just a car licence. Driving a small one is just the same as driving a transit van, and if you have practice on a bigger bus, you could probably do it.

Guest eight

I know this place is pretty negative generally but please don't troll for dirt like a rabid Daily Mail reporter.

If you had a choice between flying with this bloke at the helm, fully aware of his background, or a "trained" pilot with a £100 premium, which would you choose?

No logic behind asking that BTW, just thought it was an interesting question.

eight

It ain't that hard to fly.

Just play MS Flight Simulator for a while and learn to fly by instruments.

It ain't that hard to fly.

Just play MS Flight Simulator for a while and learn to fly by instruments.

I know Type Rating Examiners (on type) who can't land the MS Flight Simulator B206 Helicopter without crashing :lol:.

On the job training - three years in the co-pilot's seat. Suppose it is a testatment to the fact that the flight side regime is up to scratch, must have passed inspections as well on a regular basis. Would have had all sorts of problems if the pilot had had a heart attack on when he first got in the cockpit though, utterly reckless, should have been grounded for life.

I'd be interested to know if he had to deal with any emergencies during his 10,000 hours in the air.

My sister is a pilot, having been trained under one of the major airlines' cadet schemes (onto which she cheerfully admits to probably having got as a result of equal opps/positive discrimination). But she knows many who have self-funded their training, some of whom began their careers with six-figure loans to pay off. I bet they're not exactly happy with this bloke!

Not a pilot but I know someone who has gone through the training and is now working as one. It's really not that easy. A lot of the training seems to be emergency procedures - i.e. what to do if x, y or z happens or maybe all three at once.

I flown a plane a few times. Just a few flying lessons. But I can tell you that take-off and flight is dead easy in a single prop plane.

Landing is a bit more complex, but exactly as you say, the skill is in dealing with unforeseen things such as emergencies.

Guest happy?

[/b]

If he's been successfully flying for 13 years then he's not a fake pilot; an unlicensed one perhaps, but most certainly not fake.

It said he was a fake Swedish pilot - face it he could have been Welsh no-one speaks Swedish.

Pilot is only really needed when things don't go according to plan. Then they really earn their money.

Buckers

Agreed Bosco one of my airline pilots acquaintances he flies with Cathay (and nails the air hostesses regularly) says exactly this, simply they programme the computer and the backups press a button and go sleep, if they hit turbulence they wake up grab the yoke and hold on to it waiting for something to go wrong.

Then before they land they decide if they want to have a go or not, Bosco is/was nuts he used to love the Kai Tak landing in Hong Kong the one where you can look into people's high rise flats and see them eating their noodles. He says it just ain't the same anymore now they built CLK airport.

Agreed Bosco one of my airline pilots acquaintances he flies with Cathay (and nails the air hostesses regularly) says exactly this, simply they programme the computer and the backups press a button and go sleep, if they hit turbulence they wake up grab the yoke and hold on to it waiting for something to go wrong.

Then before they land they decide if they want to have a go or not, Bosco is/was nuts he used to love the Kai Tak landing in Hong Kong the one where you can look into people's high rise flats and see them eating their noodles. He says it just ain't the same anymore now they built CLK airport.

Got to love it - at 1.30 ish