House Price Crash Forum
Tired of Waiting

" Vine Is Discussing House Prices @ The Mo. "

Vine is discussing House Prices @ the mo. Second homes thrust.

BBC Radio 2 - now, Monday 17 May, 12:28

Edit to add:

Link: http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b00sfw5t/Jeremy_Vine_17_05_2010/

1st discussion on CGT starts at 07min 30sec.

2nd part from 20min to 25min.

3rd, and last, part from 28:40min to 33min

Edited by Tired of Waiting

BBC Radio 2 - now, Monday 17 May, 12:28

A caller mentioned a concern: A high CGT may stop people from selling their 2nd homes.

I was a bit concerned about that also. The threat of a high CGT may trigger a quick fire-sale now, before the increase. But after it is implemented, it may do the opposite.

Edited by Tired of Waiting

Caller: A high CGT may stop people from selling their 2nd homes.

I was a bit concerned about that also. The threat of a high CGT may trigger a quick fire-sale now, before the increase. But after it is implemented, it may do the opposite. Someone mentioned a concern

Put rates up. It'll be like boiling a frog.

Only just caught the end of this. Lots of btl pigs squeeling! I love it!

They are claiming its not fair! They don't understand the meaning of fair! To them its only fair if they come off best, sod the rest of you. And people wonder why i've turned from ultra generous nice guy to selfish & hatred filled!

Not any more.

Yep. It has finished now. They've moved-on, to the volcano's ashes...

I just listened less than 5 minutes on 2nd homes. Most callers supporting the increase, it seemed.

Did anyone got it from the begining?

A caller mentioned a concern: A high CGT may stop people from selling their 2nd homes.

I was a bit concerned about that also. The threat of a high CGT may trigger a quick fire-sale now, before the increase. But after it is implemented, it may do the opposite.

Reduce the selling price, hey presto, no capital gains to tax!:-D

Caller: A high CGT may stop people from selling their 2nd homes.

I was a bit concerned about that also. The threat of a high CGT may trigger a quick fire-sale now, before the increase. But after it is implemented, it may do the opposite. Someone mentioned a concern

Assuming you mean a slower sell off after than current rates of sale (whatever that is), this would be compensated by a slower uptake of new people "investing" in property I imagine. Unless of course nobody ever sells their investment properties... but I guess that somewhat defeats the original intention of investing.

They are claiming its not fair! They don't understand the meaning of fair! To them its only fair if they come off best, sod the rest of you. And people wonder why i've turned from ultra generous nice guy to selfish & hatred filled!

Yep. Understandably.

I think the (our?) current "youngish adults" generation have matured pretty fast.

Can I just clarify something with the forum? Wasn't CGT already 40% until recently (2008ish), when they reduced it to 18%. So it's only going back to what it was originally.

Hardly unfair!!!

dry.gif

Can I just clarify something with the forum? Wasn't CGT already 40% until recently (2008ish), when they reduced it to 18%. So it's only going back to what it was originally.

Hardly unfair!!!

dry.gif

No its typical government smoke and mirrors.

It used to have taper relief, which it no longer will so completely differnet to the old rate

Sorry guys for not "threading" that. I'm kinda outta touch w/ the forum (actually reality in general) these days.

Best bit was an aspiring 2nd home owner who defended the current favourable tax treatment of property, largely because he hoped his thriving business would one day allow him to join the esteemed ranks of double-home ownership.

He was in the recession proof sector of dog grooming.

Welcome to Gordon's Britain. Home of property devotees and dogs' business.

Edited by Sledgehead

It used to have taper relief, which it no longer will so completely differnet to the old rate

Meh! That's confused me even more now (which isn't hard these days I grant you). I'll have a google.

Even if they didnt direct partake in liar loans, they have indirectly benefitted due to the effect

What is fair?

Money printing?

Cuts for services, not for bankers?

Tax increases on consumers?

Id say BTLers are fairly near the bottom of the pile, no one forces them to speculate in property. It might seem like the BBC does sometimes with all their propaganda, but even this can be resisted.

(...)

He was in the recession proof sector of dog grooming.

(...)

:lol:

Did he really say that?? Or something similar??

I missed most of Vine's program on it. 'll try to listen when it comes on-line.

So the original 40% CGT had taper relief? which is an approx allowance for inflation?

Then they reduced to 18%, but no inflation allowance?

Now it could be 40-50% with no inflation allowance?

... seems a bit harsh, but then savings interest gets taxed without inflation allowance.

laugh.gif

Did he really say that?? Or something similar??

I missed most of Vine's program on it. 'll try to listen when it comes on-line.

I think that was Sledge's dry humour about dog grooming being recession proof, rather than what was said on the radio. wink.gif

Hardly unfair!!!

dry.gif

Maximum non-business taper was 40% (after 10 years) so the minimum payable was 100 x 60% x 40% = 24%. You had to hold for at least 3 years before you started to get anything.

However there was no allowance for inflation so in real terms the actual rate was higher.

So the original 40% CGT had taper relief? which is an approx allowance for inflation?

Then they reduced to 18%, but no inflation allowance?

Now it could be 40-50% with no inflation allowance?

... seems a bit harsh, but then savings interest gets taxed without inflation allowance.

thats what it seems. so like interest income you'd get taxed on the genuine inflation element.

however if it transfers on death no CGT... possibly if you emigrate and are out of the coutry for long enough no CGT either.

wonder if higher rate comes in from 22 june or from 6th April 2011???

One house each is a good start. The more you save and earn, the better house you can buy.

A system biased against multi-ownership looks about as fair as you could get.

VMR.

Well said that man.

A holiday home without other people going in is bad for the economy...the home is removed from the general market for shelter, the owners are depriving local hostelry business some income, and this luxury purchase is also viewed as an investment.

you pay CGT on all investments outside an ISA or some other vehicle.

you also pay tax on interest in bank accounts.

this loophole needs to be closed.