House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Guest theboltonfury

Wembley Stadium

Guest theboltonfury

I can't comment on the pitch as I am shit at football, but yesterday I saw my beloved club, Oxford United win at Wembley and get promoted back to the league. There 45,000 non league fans there and we won, 3-1. Get in!!

I'd never been and heard it was really poorly, but we all got to the bar OK, got to the toilets in good time and it was very well stewarded. Besides, what a great stadium. It made me proud to be British!

Anyone else been?

I can't comment on the pitch as I am shit at football, but yesterday I saw my beloved club, Oxford United win at Wembley and get promoted back to the league. There 45,000 non league fans there and we won, 3-1. Get in!!

I'd never been and heard it was really poorly, but we all got to the bar OK, got to the toilets in good time and it was very well stewarded. Besides, what a great stadium. It made me proud to be British!

Anyone else been?

It is a superb stadium and I have been three times. Great atmosphere.... Shame everything costs a tenner !! Burgers, flags, programmes etc... The pitch is a real issue though and so far from the standard you would expect from our national stadium....

Guest X-QUORK

I saw U2 play there and thought it was an excellent venue, the only problem being it had just the one cashpoint for 88,000 people which meant I missed the support act, Elbow (I was in a queue with a couple of hundred other people).

I simply don't understand all the problems with the turf, did they build on a swamp or something?

Guest theboltonfury

It is a superb stadium and I have been three times. Great atmosphere.... Shame everything costs a tenner !! Burgers, flags, programmes etc... The pitch is a real issue though and so far from the standard you would expect from our national stadium....

Good to see you back!

A programme was a fiver and I was driving so wasn't boozing at the ground. The seats were good, the view was briliant from the 3rd tier. However, they charged £35 per ticket, plus £1.50 postage fee per ticket, even though they were in the same envelope and a £3 per ticket booking fee. Now that is a joke.

Your boys were all over London yesterday as they paraded the trophy. Would have been 10-0 if Chelsea had have been wearing their glasses.

Guest theboltonfury

I saw U2 play there and thought it was an excellent venue, the only problem being it had just the one cashpoint for 88,000 people which meant I missed the support act, Elbow (I was in a queue with a couple of hundred other people).

I simply don't understand all the problems with the turf, did they build on a swamp or something?

There are no roots for the grass. It's just an inch or so of turf rolled out and so it slips everywhere.

It looked very sandy yesterday. Not like the finals when I was a kid.

Guest X-QUORK

There are no roots for the grass. It's just an inch or so of turf rolled out and so it slips everywhere.

It looked very sandy yesterday. Not like the finals when I was a kid.

Hmmm...would digging a bit deeper be beyond the wit of man?

Guest theboltonfury

Hmmm...would digging a bit deeper be beyond the wit of man?

They can't as that pitch is up and down like Ulrika's knickers.

I have been to a couple of England games, watch Exeter get promoted back to the football league and AFC Wimbledon v Corinthian Casuals.

the Missus went to Coldplay (there are some things I won't do for love).

Always enjoyable and tube service out was pretty good too, considering how many people they have to get back to Central London.

If I'm being honest I actually preferred Cardiff, much nicer in the centre of town rather than an industrial estate in the middle of nowhere.

If I'm being honest I actually preferred Cardiff, much nicer in the centre of town rather than an industrial estate in the middle of nowhere.

In regard to being in the centre of town, yes totally agree.

But as an Arsenal fan I had been to Cardiff many times, what was interesting was that in the past in comparison to most football grounds it looked first class, modern and you got a great view. But after the first (half) season at the Emirates going there for the Carling Cup really showed up what an average stadium it was in terms of facilities and even though it was only 8 years old at the time it looked really old and dated especially on the outer areas.

I have been to the new Wembley a number of times and it is a brilliant stadium, the pitch as mentioned is shocking given it's the pitch for the England team and with the exception of the odd few it doesn't compare to any of the better Premier League pitches.

I have sat in various different areas, I was at one of the ramp up events (England Under 16's) in the lower section, mid section for an England game and then right at the top for Legends Race thingy. Brilliant views from everywhere which you couldn't say of the old Wembley where I'd also been a regular visitor.

Good to see you back!

A programme was a fiver and I was driving so wasn't boozing at the ground. The seats were good, the view was briliant from the 3rd tier. However, they charged £35 per ticket, plus £1.50 postage fee per ticket, even though they were in the same envelope and a £3 per ticket booking fee. Now that is a joke.

Your boys were all over London yesterday as they paraded the trophy. Would have been 10-0 if Chelsea had have been wearing their glasses.

Cheers TBF...

£85.00 Ticket ( You had choices but were given what they had) 15 rows up from the corner flag... Great seat but too many Prawn sandwich fans... Most were more interested in what coffee they were serving at half time... The singers were all in the cheap seats and I regret not putting that category as my first choice !!..... Took the kids to the Parade yesterday and they thought it was one of the best days out ever.... Not nearly as many turned out as last time but I suppose that`s what happens with success..... £7 for a fecking flag....

Guest theboltonfury

Cheers TBF...

£85.00 Ticket ( You had choices but were given what they had) 15 rows up from the corner flag... Great seat but too many Prawn sandwich fans... Most were more interested in what coffee they were serving at half time... The singers were all in the cheap seats and I regret not putting that category as my first choice !!..... Took the kids to the Parade yesterday and they thought it was one of the best days out ever.... Not nearly as many turned out as last time but I suppose that`s what happens with success..... £7 for a fecking flag....

They were selling those blow up trophy things for £7. People were actually buying them too.

But as an Arsenal fan I had been to Cardiff many times, what was interesting was that in the past in comparison to most football grounds it looked first class, modern and you got a great view. But after the first (half) season at the Emirates going there for the Carling Cup really showed up what an average stadium it was in terms of facilities and even though it was only 8 years old at the time it looked really old and dated especially on the outer areas.

Being more used to the away ends at Griffen Park (nice pub), Kennilworth Road and Fratton Park (the worst by far) I'm not really going to complain about either.

I think it must have been designed by a Druid architect as the sun only shines onto the pitch at midday on the Summer Solstice.

Wembleys biggest problem is not the pitch, but its location. As englands 'national' venue it should be in a large landscaped site in Milton Keynes or Birmingham, or better still the Watford Gap, not an ugly industrial estate in north London. What a terrible way to showcase our nation.

I have been to the new Wembley a number of times and it is a brilliant stadium, the pitch as mentioned is shocking given it's the pitch for the England team and with the exception of the odd few it doesn't compare to any of the better Premier League pitches.

I have sat in various different areas, I was at one of the ramp up events (England Under 16's) in the lower section, mid section for an England game and then right at the top for Legends Race thingy. Brilliant views from everywhere which you couldn't say of the old Wembley where I'd also been a regular visitor.

Wembley cost about 8 times as much. Is it 8 times better ? That is the problem with Wembley. It is a top notch, from all I hear, stadium that cost a fortune and has a pitch that is shit.

Value for money rating = fail.

I remember when it was being built and all the chat was about this big roof and how it would let the sun in. They also had it at such an angle that the wind could funnel down as well IIRC ?

Where exactly are these people now ?! Not getting the pitch right is a criminal offence at a football stadium that cost that much. Unforgivable.

Wembley cost about 8 times as much. Is it 8 times better ? That is the problem with Wembley. It is a top notch, from all I hear, stadium that cost a fortune and has a pitch that is shit.

Value for money rating = fail.

I remember when it was being built and all the chat was about this big roof and how it would let the sun in. They also had it at such an angle that the wind could funnel down as well IIRC ?

Where exactly are these people now ?! Not getting the pitch right is a criminal offence at a football stadium that cost that much. Unforgivable.

I went three years ago to see Yeovil - Blackpool in the league 1 playoff final. Seeing my club flag being unfurled on the pitch did bring a tear to one's eye after the turbulent history we've had.

What did it cost to build? £800m? It certainly aint worth that. The FA should have spent a quarter of that, and then used the rest of the dosh on grassroots (literally I suppose).