House Price Crash Forum
The Masked Tulip

Landlord Zone Forums And Possible 40% Cgt

The below forums should be of interest to HPCers - loads of posts on CGT.

http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=7

I shall also email my MP. But I am seriously considering putting my portfoliio up for sale. Now before this new Law takes place.

As you said, many people have property as their pension and this is the case with me. Paying this tax would simply mean I would gain very little in the way of capital gain after the tax is paid and become dependant on the State.

As it happens I have suffered like we all have, by falling values, so, in 2008, when it was nearly time for me to capitalise on my investments, the recession occured. I thought I would hang on for another 3 -5 years and hope for a change of Government which has happened, but not as I expected.

I sunk all of a legacy I was left by my parents into property 10 years ago, and built up a decent portfolio to help me through my old age. It is now worth half of what it was at the beginning of 2008. If I sell, I don't get enough to see me through the next 20 years. If I don't sell now and wait for values to go up, then I am hit by this new increase in CGT.

So, I am damned if I do and damned if I don't

Has anyone in Government thought of the result of this with regard to the housing shortage?

I don't think so! Many landlords will sell up in the next year, and there will be even less properties for rent, and an even greater housing shortage...now what kind of Policy is this????????

To be honest our little world is falling to pieces with this news.

Have emailed local MP and Cable now but they don't give a !

Landlord's selling will cause a housing shortage?

How does someone this thick build up a portfolio?

Thanks for posting, I meant to ask if anyone was registered with Landlord / property investors forums. Good to see a few anecdotal evidence concerning the possible effects of CGT.

Usual landlord rubbish about how they provide rentals meeting a supposed rental shortage but if they sell somehow there will be extra homeless people. No mate just fewer renters and more owners at lower purchase prices than you paid. Twats!

Could have been by talking to an IFA. I knew someone made redundant 7 years ago who was told by a gravy chasin IFA that a good option for his public sector redundancy pay was to go out and buy a 'cul de sac' on IO* :blink:

(*they didn't BTW)

Edited by LiveinHope

The below forums should be of interest to HPCers - loads of posts on CGT.

http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=7

Interesting post TMT.

Of course they will be lobbying their MPs to stop this CGT change.

Perhaps we should lobby our MPs too, but congratulating and thanking them for the change - trying to compensate a little the evil lobbying from the other side?

+ 1

:lol:

He said how: inheritance, "invested" all in the property Ponzi scheme.

Don't worry, as we can see there the world is re-balancing itself, and the laws of Darwinism are finally kicking in. :)

Perhaps we should lobby our MPs too, but congratulating and thanking them for the change - trying to compensate a little the evil lobbying from the other side?

I posted about this the other day.

I think we should.

The VIs will be out in force between now and the Budget to stop this.

Many landlords will sell up in the next year, and there will be even less properties for rent, and an even greater housing shortage...now what kind of Policy is this????????

It's not like the house is being bulldozed when they sell! It will still exist, it will still be able to house people.

I posted about this the other day.

I think we should.

The VIs will be out in force between now and the Budget to stop this.

Exactly.

OK, so people, please start emailing your MPs, supporting the CGT increase!

To compensate the evil lobbying from the other side, we need to lobby our MPs too, but congratulating and thanking them for the CGT increase.

Exactly.

To compensate the evil lobbying from the other side, we need to lobby our MPs too, but congratulating and thanking them for the CGT increase.

Petition on Downing Street website?

Exactly.

[/quote

ministers@hm-treasury.gov.uk

Edited by timebandit

id start a new thread on this. i would be happy to do this. im really lazy tho , maybe someone could provide a template for everyone to use

Edited by getdoon_weebobby

Are they not missing the bleeding obvious?

If they sell their portfolio then surely whomever buys it will not only still have the CGT liability but will also suffer the loss of equity as values reduce?

Mind you I suppose one cancels out the other no equity then no capital gains.. No capital gains then no worries.

WTF are they mithering about anyway?

Are they not missing the bleeding obvious?

If they sell their portfolio then surely whomever buys it will not only still have the CGT liability but will also suffer the loss of equity as values reduce?

Mind you I suppose one cancels out the other no equity then no capital gains.. No capital gains then no worries.

WTF are they mithering about anyway?

f+ck em. i hope they crash and burn

Maybe they will all sit tight till Labour get back in and bring it back down to 18% :P

Petition on Downing Street website?

Maybe. Not sure though. It is very visible, and the "other side" may do the same. I worry that they may be able to "mobilise" more people than we. For them the loss is more "concrete", more painful. And there are millions of them. I am not sure.

ToW:

"(...) People, please start emailing your MPs, supporting the CGT increase! To compensate the evil lobbying from the other side, we need to lobby our MPs too, but congratulating and thanking them for the CGT increase."

Thanks timebandit. I'll send an email now.

Exactly.

[/quote

They are already mobilising over on that den of p!gsh!t thick vipers...

"If they do it would result in most landlords paying tens of thousands of pounds of additional CGT tax on what is in effect their pension.

I've emailed Vince Cable to express my concerns.

I suggest every other LL here does. You will need to include your full address in your email to him at CABLEV@parliament.uk ..."

So, there's another email address to go after as well... It would be rude not to.

In fact, mine's already gone before posting this.

To the barricades mes amis :)

B