House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
The Masked Tulip

There Is No Money Left

Yep - David Laws talking this morning.

"I did receive, very nicely, a letter from Liam Byrne, my predecessor, and I thought this was going to be a letter of advice on a huge range of economic issues and how to deal with cabinet colleagues, but it was a very short letter, it just said:

'Dear Chief Secretary, I'm afraid to have to tell you that the money has run out.'

"And I'm afraid the money has run out and we are going to have to take some very difficult decisions over the next few weeks and months to try to get the budget deficit under control in the interests of the whole economy."

They could start to recover some loot by auctioning off Tony Blair's and Gordon Brown's properties... :P

Edited by wise_eagle

They could start to recover some loot by auctioning off Tony Blair's and Gordon Brown's properties... :P

Yep they should use the anti terror laws to seize the assets of the traitors, how ironic that would be.

Mr Byrne insisted the message was meant as a private joke. "My letter was a joke, from one Chief Secretary to another," he said. "I do hope David Laws' sense of humour wasn't another casualty of the coalition deal." BLOODY HELL IS THAT REALLY AT ALL FUNNY IN ANY WAY? Sounds like Nadeem Walyat was spot on about Labour's cynical and deliberate scorched earth policy.

"My letter was a joke, from one Chief Secretary to another," he said. "I do hope David Laws' sense of humour wasn't another casualty of the coalition deal."

Whole adminstration was a bit of a sick joke, so was the propping of it by the bankrupt off england who now talk about finanical stability and the need to reign in spending, duplicty doesn't even being to describe what has been going on here.

Theft, treason and gerrymandering on a huge scale.

Edited by OnlyMe

Yep - David Laws talking this morning.

"I did receive, very nicely, a letter from Liam Byrne, my predecessor, and I thought this was going to be a letter of advice on a huge range of economic issues and how to deal with cabinet colleagues, but it was a very short letter, it just said:

'Dear Chief Secretary, I'm afraid to have to tell you that the money has run out.'

"And I'm afraid the money has run out and we are going to have to take some very difficult decisions over the next few weeks and months to try to get the budget deficit under control in the interests of the whole economy."

He is to be congratulated, that's the first thing I've heard from a Labour minister in 13 years that wasn't a lie.

That's the Conservative's 2015 election poster sorted out then. :)

That's the Conservative's 2015 election poster sorted out then. :)

That and "Don't vote Labour, we might not be able to get them out next time... even if they loose!"

Ok it needs a bit work, work in progress maybe :lol:

Even then it's being economical with the exactitude

'Dear Chief Secretary, I'm afraid to have to tell you that the money has run out.' AND WE ARE £TRILLIONS AND £TRILLIONS IN DEBT AND LIABILITIES.

might have been nearer.

Edited by billybong

tax all those gains from public sector - so blair's lecture fees/book royalties ect are all subject to a huge amount of tax. And the fact the sod avoids it by using various companies is also v bad.

That and "Don't vote Labour, we might not be able to get them out next time... even if they loose!"

Ok it needs a bit work, work in progress maybe :lol:

Indeed, such as losing the second "o".

"My letter was a joke, from one Chief Secretary to another," he said. "I do hope David Laws' sense of humour wasn't another casualty of the coalition deal."

(...)

Oh, by the way, we spent all the money and then a lot more and then we printed some and spent that.

Ha ahahahahah. ah.

Staggering that he could even think that bankrupting the United Kingdom is a laughing matter.

I wouldn't want to go all humourless on that, as it was clearly a joke. Good for him. Rather a breath of fresh air from a Labour minister.

(After all the GBP 168 billion deficit is a clue that the situation is rather worse than "no money at all".)

I'm not sure.

Part of me thinks yes it's just a joke.

Part of me thinks he's gloating at having f***ed up the country for his successor.

I'm not sure.

Part of me thinks he's gloating at having f***ed up the country for his successor.

I agree with you goat. In his mind, Byrne probably thought it was funny, but the point it, it is so bad it can never be funny.

If this was a note about the Chief Secretary's office party / drinks account, then, yep, funny ha ha, (and 2 fingers up to you tory scum etc etc) but when it is a note about the UK, population of 50-odd million, then it aint funny at all.

we elect MPs to exercise judgements on our behalf, this is an example of poor judgement from the outgoing adminsitration

Guest sillybear2

Meanwhile back in his constituency in Birmingham just a few weeks ago Liam Byrne was offering dollops of cash for new tram lines and lots of other pork in order to buy votes.

Pretty shameless.

Edited by sillybear2

From FT Alphaville:

The outgoing Labour Treasury minister Liam Byrne hasn’t helped this presentational challenge, having informed his successor that: ‘I’m afraid… there’s no money left’.

Ha ha, hilarious, Mr Byrne! We do wonder who spent it.

I'm not sure.

...of course he was gloating ...they were / are all communists trying to destroy capitalsm....and have nearly succeeded...look at their backgrounds...and we paid for their university fees ...think these fees should be retrospective ...and make all these Liebour commies pay their dues...... :D

Mr Byrne insisted the message was meant as a private joke.

How about a televised show trial for treason, ya know, just as a private joke.

I wouldn't want to go all humourless on that, as it was clearly a joke. Good for him. Rather a breath of fresh air from a Labour minister.

(After all the GBP 168 billion deficit is a clue that the situation is rather worse than "no money at all".)

yep hilarious, millions of jobs to be lost, repossessions and record bankruptcies on the way but at least i had a laugh getting us there

...of course he was gloating ...they were / are all communists trying to destroy capitalsm....and have nearly succeeded...look at their backgrounds...and we paid for their university fees ...think these fees should be retrospective ...and make all these Liebour commies pay their dues...... :D

Oh dear......another poster who would not know a commie even if he was porking his wife...

The last labour government where a bunch of right wing nutters... left wing..my ****.. :o

Guest sillybear2

"Mr Byrne insisted the message was meant as a private joke."

So in keeping with 13 years of NuLabia misrule, you only have to look at the 12% deficit and the £910bn national debt to work out whom the joke is on.