House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Reck B

Liam Byrne Handing On The Baton

Give me strength!. What an ar5ehole.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1279062/Liam-Byrnes-letter-warning-new-Chief-Secretary-David-Laws.html?ito=feeds-newsxml

The new coalition Government may be accusing the Labour of cooking the books but one ex-minister made no effort to hide the state of the economy, it was revealed today.

In a stark message left in a Treasury desk for his successor, outgoing chief secretary to the Treasury Liam Byrne wrote simply: 'I'm afraid to tell you there's no money left.'

His pithy summary of the serious challenges facing the new power-sharing administration was revealed by Liberal Democrat David Laws, who has taken on the role.

wrote the letter of warning to new Chief Secretary to the Treasury David Laws

Speaking at a press conference at the Treasury, he told reporters: 'When I arrived at my desk on the very first day as Chief Secretary, I found a letter from the previous chief secretary to give me some advice, I assumed, on how I conduct myself over the months ahead.

'Unfortunately, when I opened it, it was a one-sentence letter which simply said 'Dear Chief Secretary, I'm afraid to tell you there's no money left', which was honest but slightly less helpful advice than I had been expecting.'

Give me strength!. What an ar5ehole.

Right up until the end, Government Depts were dishing out 100's of K in unrequested sums to public sector bodies,

It seemed a much larger than usual end of year departmental budget spend to me.

Given the defecit,

1) I could not see how it could be justified or

2) where the money came from, or what it was for since it was unrequested

But

3) I can guarantee it will get spent, probably unwisely and,

4) when next year budgets are less plentiful people will be unprepared as the 'good times' will seem to end so abruplty

Possibly the story has been spun a little but the message I suspect couldn't be closer to the truth... labour has driven us all onto the rocks yet again.

Try telling that to the 8,604,358 people who voted Liebour, and you'll get a blank stare or a punch in the face.

Try telling that to the 8,604,358 people who voted Liebour, and you'll get a blank stare or a punch in the face.

Never hit anyone in my life, but on this issue I might be tempted get the first one in, immediately after telling them 'the message'

Labour's tactics in the Birmingham Hodge Hill by-election, which Mr Byrne won against the Lib Dems, were scandalous, so I'm not surprised.

Guest X-QUORK

Almost a boast.

I'd like to apologise for voting Labour in the past.

Guest theboltonfury

You'll certainly get a blank stare alright. Very blank.

Guest theboltonfury

Almost a boast.

I'd like to apologise for voting Labour in the past.

Forgiven. Now, what have we learnt from that near miss?

The behavior of Labour since the election has been terrible in my opinion, rather than a bit of soul searching and being humble they have acted like little kids blaming others and not accepting the reality that the country have had enough of them.

Personally I have had enough of the sort of politics that Labour and the Tories have been subscribing to for the last 30 years, not about what they are doing right but what the others are or will be doing wrong.

Byrne is one of the most annoying of all the NuLabour MPs, with a horrible smirk to rival Brown's grin.

I can't imagine he's got through life without someone feeling the need to smack him around the face with a wet fish, Monty Python style.

Byrne is one of the most annoying of all the NuLabour MPs, with a horrible smirk to rival Brown's grin.

I can't imagine he's got through life without someone feeling the need to smack him around the face with a wet fish, Monty Python style.

A wet fish?

A wet fist, maybe.

Liam Byrne seems to be revelling in the mess that is being handed to the new government. £163 Billion deficit, yes we are all laughing, very funny. We are a nation that will be paying in a very real sense for Labour's gross stupidity and arrogance for the next ten years if not longer.

Indeed - this really should be writ large in stone somewhere as a stark reminder to all future voters not to fall into the trap of ever voting for them again. It's amazing how swiftly some forget and soon enough people will begin to believe the new lies and spin about the new government's mismanagement, without remembering the poisoned chalice they were passed.

Guest Skinty

Indeed - this really should be writ large in stone somewhere as a stark reminder to all future voters not to fall into the trap of ever voting for them again.

I expect it will be used for a poster at the next general election.

Probably red font on a blank white background, with "Liam Byrne (Labour MP), Chief Secretary to the Treasury, 2009 - 2010" underneath