House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The Eagle

Famous Jewish-American Mit Professor Denied Entry To Israel

Noam Chomsky denied entry into Israel, looks like the Israelis are getting desperate...

Famed academic and political dissident Noam Chomsky was detained for three hours by Israeli border guards before being denied entry into the country on Sunday, Israeli news sources report.

Chomsky, who is of Jewish extraction and has long been a fierce critic of Israel, told a TV station in Israel that a border guard said Chomsky had "written things that the Israeli government didn't like."

"I suggested [the interrogator try to] find any government in the world that likes anything I say," Chomsky said, as quoted at Ha'aretz.

According to the Jerusalem Post, "some sources say [Chomsky] was told unofficially there was an order from on high to turn him back because of his political views."

Chomsky, a renowned linguistics expert who teaches at MIT, has been an outspoken critic of Israeli foreign policy and US policy towards Israel for years. In 2006, during the Israel-Lebanon war, Chomsky called Israel's bombing of Beirut "a serious breach of international law" for which "there is no legal justification."

http://rawstory.com/rs/2010/0516/chomsky-denied-entry-israel/

http://www.jpost.com/Israel/Article.aspx?ID=175714

Any sovereign country is perfectly entitled to decide what visitors from overseas it does and doesn't let in. Given that Chomsky has no links (that I'm aware of) to terrorism or anything of that sort, kicking him out won't do Israel's international reputation much good (in the same way that NuLab trying to stop Geert Wilders visiting the UK didn't do ours any good), but if the Israelis are prepared to deal with that then that's their decision.

What's even more interesting is reading the BBC news report about this and compare it to the one in my first post.

It blatantly exposes the way the BBC distorts and embellishes news according to their credo.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/middle_east/8685930.stm

An Israeli interior ministry spokeswoman said it was to trying to clear the matter up and allow Prof Chomsky to enter.

[...]

Prof Chomsky said the officials were very polite

[...]

The interior ministry spokeswoman, Sabine Hadad, said: "We are trying to contact the military to clear things up and if they have no objection we see no reason why he should not be allowed in."

The beeb makes it sound like it was an innocent mistake that will be cleared up swiftly... :ph34r:

Noam Chomsky denied entry into Israel, looks like the Israelis are getting desperate...

http://rawstory.com/rs/2010/0516/chomsky-denied-entry-israel/

http://www.jpost.com/Israel/Article.aspx?ID=175714

A sizable number of Jews are sick & tired of being associated with Israel and righfully distancing themselves as its human right violations worsens day by day.

its a shame media & western countries keep quiet about it.

As west monies runs out so does Israeli existence so you are correct about them getting desperate, soon rats will be jumping the ship.

Any sovereign country is perfectly entitled to decide what visitors from overseas it does and doesn't let in. Given that Chomsky has no links (that I'm aware of) to terrorism or anything of that sort, kicking him out won't do Israel's international reputation much good (in the same way that NuLab trying to stop Geert Wilders visiting the UK didn't do ours any good), but if the Israelis are prepared to deal with that then that's their decision.

He's an 82 year old MIT professor, that's no comparison to Geert Wilders.

How can an 82 year old holding a speech be such a risk to Israel that they deny him entry?

This is pure desperation if a government of a country that claims to not be afraid of anybody (they have the bomb afterall), is afraid of an 82 year old professor, who's only 'weapon' is his voice...

Anti-Semitic as they come no wonder the Israelis don't want to let him in.

He's not anti-semitic, he's a critic of Israeli politics and government, that's got nothing to do with anti-semitism.

He's not anti-semitic, he's a critic of Israeli politics and government, that's got nothing to do with anti-semitism.

Your irony detector is failing to work, I think you may need to take it back to the shop. :P

What's even more interesting is reading the BBC news report about this and compare it to the one in my first post.

It blatantly exposes the way the BBC distorts and embellishes news according to their credo.

http://news.bbc.co.u...ast/8685930.stm

The beeb makes it sound like it was an innocent mistake that will be cleared up swiftly... :ph34r:

Prof Chomsky's Palestinian host for the visit, Mustafa al-Barghouti, told Reuters: "This decision is a fascist action, amounting to suppression of freedom of expression."

Chomsky always seems to me to talk a lot of sense. And the BBC's high minded self re-inforcing impartial views on a number of issues are always heavily influenced by which ever governmnet is in power and in charge of awarding the license fee.....

He's an 82 year old MIT professor, that's no comparison to Geert Wilders.

On the contrary, there is a direct comparison. Both had strongly criticised the governments of the countries they were trying to enter, and furthermore they were trying to enter in order to spread and publicise that criticism. Those governments (both of them democratically elected by the populations they represent) decided not to let them in.

Prof Chomsky's Palestinian host for the visit, Mustafa al-Barghouti, told Reuters: "This decision is a fascist action, amounting to suppression of freedom of expression."

Rubbish. If they'd arrested Chomsky at Ben Gurion and thrown him into jail; or if his country of origin had imposed sanctions against him for speaking his mind, that would amount to suppression of freedom of expression. As it is, he is perfectly at liberty to slag off Israel - just not in Israel.

This is pure desperation if a government of a country that claims to not be afraid of anybody (they have the bomb afterall), is afraid of an 82 year old professor, who's only 'weapon' is his voice...

A 'weapon' which, if used correctly (and given that Chomsky is one of the world's leading communications theorists, I think we can assume that he knows how to do that) can incite civil unrest and much else besides.

A sizable number of Jews are sick & tired of being associated with Israel and righfully distancing themselves as its human right violations worsens day by day.

its a shame media & western countries keep quiet about it.

As west monies runs out so does Israeli existence so you are correct about them getting desperate, soon rats will be jumping the ship.

Good post.

A 'weapon' which, if used correctly (and given that Chomsky is one of the world's leading communications theorists, I think we can assume that he knows how to do that) can incite civil unrest and much else besides.

Civil unrest is an almost daily occurrence in the West Bank and the Gaza Stripe, don't tell me they need Chomsky to stir it up.

There is more behind it, to me it seems Israel is losing control, that's the only explanation why they should fear someone like Chomsky.

Guest X-QUORK

No doubt God will look after the Israelites even if the US abandons them, I mean it's not like Yaweh's gonna just walk out on his Chosen Ones.

No doubt God will look after the Israelites even if the US abandons them, I mean it's not like Yaweh's gonna just walk out on his Chosen Ones.

Breaking News! - He did walk out on them in A.D 70.

Guest X-QUORK

That's some grudge!

As far as I know he was 33 when crucified.

The Jewish peoples held the upper hand, as the Roman Prefect of Judea, Pontious Pilot asked them what he should do with Jesus - they have been 'wailing' at the original temple wall ever since!