House Price Crash Forum
mjj51

Landlord Selling House

Hi all, I'm new to this forum so bear with me, my apologises if this is in the wrong section.

Basically my landlord has told me that he's selling the house. He wants to add an extension to the back and convert upstairs from 2 bedrooms to 3, which would involve moving the bathroom. In other words, a lot of work.

He said he wants to sell to a landlord who would keep us as tenants, but if that's the case what would happen to us whilst all the work is going on, would we just have to put up with it or are we within our rights to refuse? I have to say I don't like the thought of builders etc here whilst I'm out at work.

We've decided it might be best to move now, but we've lived here 8 years (with a different landlord before this one) and love it here. I've no idea what our rights are and what will happen if we haven't found somewhere new whilst the construction work is going on.

We rent privately, our contract expired just over a year ago and we haven't had one since. How much notice would we or the landlord need to give?

I live here with my son, who's 16 and still at school. Not sure if that's relevant but putting it anyway just in case.

Any advice on our rights would be great thank you.

Very true, another reason I think why we should leave now before all the work starts. Not sure how much notice we need to give though, or what happens if he wants to start the conversion work in a week or so and we're still here. The rent is £800 a month as it is, which is the maximum I can afford, any higher and I'm stuffed. So looks like we have no choice but to leave.

Hopefully finding a new place should be relatively quick, well I hope so anyway.

Very true, another reason I think why we should leave now before all the work starts. Not sure how much notice we need to give though, or what happens if he wants to start the conversion work in a week or so and we're still here. The rent is £800 a month as it is, which is the maximum I can afford, any higher and I'm stuffed. So looks like we have no choice but to leave.

Hopefully finding a new place should be relatively quick, well I hope so anyway.

You need to get your lease checked and get down to the Citizens Advice Bureau asap.

They surely cannot be allowed to start any work/sell until they have given you the required notice which should be at least a month - if not two ( I think that is what mine is).

It sounds that you will probably have to leave anyway and should start looking asap for a new place, but they have no right to force you to live on a building site or be forced to leave at less than the notice required in your lease.

Also write to your MP demanding some action on better tennancy laws and the issue of housing.

We rent privately, our contract expired just over a year ago and we haven't had one since. How much notice would we or the landlord need to give?

Sorry I missed this bit, surely your old contract was an AST? which means it is still legally binding and provides you with some limited security in the form of a minimum level of notice of major work or needing to leave.

Sorry I missed this bit, surely your old contract was an AST? which means it is still legally binding and provides you with some limited security in the form of a minimum level of notice of major work or needing to leave.

Hi - thank you for the replies. I think it was, yes. I'll start looking for a new place tomorrow, already been looking online. There's no way I could afford a 3 bed place, or any increase in rent. I assume I need then to give one month's notice when we find a place?

Thanks again.

Hi - thank you for the replies. I think it was, yes. I'll start looking for a new place tomorrow, already been looking online. There's no way I could afford a 3 bed place, or any increase in rent. I assume I need then to give one month's notice when we find a place?

Thanks again.

And they should need to give at least a months notice before commencing any work?

I dont know this for sure, find your old contract and call the Citizens Advice for advice, the LL surely cannot just do what they want, they have to give you notice. or will be in breach of the contract.

I'm in a rolling contract with my landlord at the moment after the expiry of our fixed 12 month term. We have to give one month's notice to move out, and they have to give us two months notice. Not sure if that's the standard or not, but it's a guide. There is no mention of large scale building works in our contract.

Morning.

That sounds good, a month on our part. I can't get down the CAB today due to work but will go first thing tomorrow morning. The sooner we find a new place to live the better.

The landlord said an estate agent will be calling this week to come round and value the house. I think the landlord wants to convert the attic as well, so there's lots of work planned. The sooner we move the better I think.

Morning.

That sounds good, a month on our part. I can't get down the CAB today due to work but will go first thing tomorrow morning. The sooner we find a new place to live the better.

The landlord said an estate agent will be calling this week to come round and value the house. I think the landlord wants to convert the attic as well, so there's lots of work planned. The sooner we move the better I think.

Being as you have the hassle of moving when you didnt want/plan to do not let them walk all over you with regards to access/viewings or whatever. If you have no problem with it then fine but make sure you know your rights with regards to this. Moving is stressful enough without having estate agents and builders traipsing around the place if you dont want them to.

Basically my landlord has told me that he's selling the house. He wants to add an extension to the back and convert upstairs from 2 bedrooms to 3, which would involve moving the bathroom. In other words, a lot of work.

He said he wants to sell to a landlord who would keep us as tenants, but if that's the case what would happen to us whilst all the work is going on, would we just have to put up with it or are we within our rights to refuse? I have to say I don't like the thought of builders etc here whilst I'm out at work.

Have you asked for any such extension? If not, it looks pretty clear-cut. The works are not essential maintenance, so there's no excuse to inflict them on you - just tell him where to go if he tries (unless perhaps he makes you an offer of another place you're happy with). It's way beyond anything remotely reasonable to inflict on you. If he wants to undertake major works, he can give you notice to quit: that notice must be at least two months (with some additional rules if you want to stand on your rights - a term to google is "Section 21").

Don't put too much effort into looking for a new place until he's given you your two months notice to quit! And if workmen turn up, don't let them in!

IANAL.

. There is no mention of large scale building works in our contract.

There wont be and it would almost certainly be invalid if there was.

(Assuming that the work being planned impinges upon your "enjoyment" of the property) the landlord has no right to insist on doing this work whilst you are in the property and you are not required to put up with it.

You need to negotiate with the landlord as to what is best for (both of) you.

tim