House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

enrieb

Frank Field Defects To Cameron's Coalition

This is really good news, Frank Field was blocked from reforming social security because of pressure by Gordon Brown. If you don't know much about Frank then watch this video from the Shortlist Debate 2009 also featuring David Davis.

Former Labour Minister Frank Field is to ‘defect’ to David Cameron’s new coalition Government by taking on the role of Britain’s ‘Poverty Tsar’, it was revealed last night.

Social conservative Mr Field is to lead a major review into poverty as part of Mr Cameron’s promise to tackle what he calls ‘Broken Britain’ – social breakdown, rising crime and the benefits dependency culture. The move is a major boost in Mr Cameron’s attempt to show that his new Liberal-Conservative coalition can command the support of elements of the Labour Party.

In another clear sign of the coalition’s political leanings, leading Left-wing political pundit Will Hutton is to be Mr Cameron’s ‘Fair Pay Tsar’, tasked with slashing the pay of public-sector fat cats. His job will include advising on new rules to ban local authority and quango chiefs from being paid more than 20 times the salary of the lowest paid employee in their organisation. Mr Hutton writes for The Observer, traditionally a fierce critic of the Tories. The recruitment of Mr Field and Mr Hutton is the latest stage of what some are calling Mr Cameron’s ‘Operation Hoover’ to entice prominent non-Conservatives to work for his Government.

Tory chiefs have been in secret talks with Mr Field for months to try to persuade him to work for Mr Cameron. He was made Welfare Minister by Tony Blair in 1997 with instructions to cut benefits but quit after a year following a series of bitter disputes with Gordon Brown, who claimed Mr Field’s proposals would punish the poor.

Birkenhead MP Mr Field, who is expected to remain in the Labour Party, will report to Work and Pensions Secretary Iain Duncan Smith, who has expressed admiration for Mr Field’s work.

Mr Field is expected to issue a report setting out how Labour’s welfare policies failed to help the poor and to produce guidelines to help the Conservatives to target help to the less well-off more effectively.

A key part of his work will be finding ways to break the ‘dependency culture’ whereby,

say some experts, state benefits can undermine the incentive to work and add to social ills.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1278760/Frank-Field-defects-nations-Poverty-Tsar.html?ito=feeds-newsxml#ixzz0o7YDntys

This is really good news, Frank Field was blocked from reforming social security because of pressure by Gordon Brown. If you don't know much about Frank then watch this video from the Shortlist Debate 2009 also featuring David Davis.

A key part of his work will be finding ways to break the ‘dependency culture’ whereby,

say some experts, state benefits can undermine the incentive to work and add to social ills.

...it doesn't take Solomon to work that out .... :rolleyes:

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/poverty-bosss-1631m-extraordinary-pay-package-revealed-1676392.html

As the boss of the publicly owned company which invests billions of pounds of taxpayers' money to alleviate global poverty, Richard Laing is one of many dedicated to improving the finances of the poorest of the poor. But few engaged in the battle to relieve the suffering of the developing world can count on a pay package of nearly £1m as their reward.

The "extraordinary" remuneration received by Mr Laing as chief executive of CDC Group Plc, a little-known investment body that is wholly owned by the Department for International Development (DfID) and controls assets worth £2.7bn, is revealed today in a stinging report by the Westminster spending watchdog.

Between 2003 and 2007, Mr Laing, a 55-year-old Cambridge engineering graduate, saw his income rise from £383,000 to £970,000 as investments in projects from a Nigerian shopping mall to a Chinese egg producer reaped handsome returns. But MPs said the 250 per cent increase in Mr Laing's pay deal had been given without CDC producing sufficient evidence that its portfolio of investments, from a mattress manufacturer to Kenyan fruit farmers, were reducing global poverty.

I think he went after the wrong job.

Read more: http://www.dailymail...l#ixzz0o7YDntys

"advising on new rules to ban local authority and quango chiefs from being paid more than 20 times the salary of the lowest paid employee in their organisation."

Wide open to fraud and troughing - who employs these dumb twats?

It's just more of the same thing we have been thru for the last couple of decades!

Dont Nick Clegg and Frank Field have something in common ?

Were they not card carrying Conservatives at some time in the past. ?

Clegg appears to have forgotten his 1986 membership.

Frank Field quit in 1964

Both now returning to the mother ship. Once a Tory boy always aTory boy

Hey Frank, What's your 'Tory name' ? ......

Take your grandmother's christian name.

Then the name of the street you grew up in.

Add a hyphen and your first school headmaster's surname.

I assume you mean her MAIDEN name?

I fully expect to see a lot of labour MPs jump ship to the tory party in the next few months.

In fact I doubt by the end of the year they will need the lib-dems anymore

Labour policies were just tory policies in red ink instead of blue ink anyway.

Doubt it will be long before Madnleslime jumps ship, he said he would months in advance. He'll work his way into the cabinate then make a run at he PMs job early next year.

Bit of a kick in the teeth for the Labour voters of Birkenhead.

They'll be feeling pretty aggrieved at this coming just a week after a general election.

Clegg appears to have forgotten his 1986 membership.

Nah he's not you know.

Which is the best thing ever for the libdems.

blimey. Have politicians finally grown up?

I suppose they also think that being comprised of members across all parties allows them to bypass the need for any sort of reforming mandate.

Strange days but reasons for optimism.

This is excellent news. Frank Field has spoken sense on benefit reform for over a decade; he is particularly keen to identify and remove 'perverse incentives' that punish people who move from benefits into work.

This is excellent news. Frank Field has spoken sense on benefit reform for over a decade; he is particularly keen to identify and remove 'perverse incentives' that punish people who move from benefits into work.

Yes - Frank is one of the few rational and sensbible chap. Go Frank Field (thought I suspect some left wing blog will crucify him...)

Yes - Frank is one of the few rational and sensbible chap. Go Frank Field (thought I suspect some left wing blog will crucify him...)

I can barely believe this. Frank Field and IDS are the only two people in politics who consistently make sense on this subject and can show that they truly care. To team them up is a dream ticket, and I only hope the Government can swallow their recommendations.

This Government is challenging my cynical side very strongly; but it will take actions to convince me. I can't honestly say what they should have done in 6 days that they haven't, though.

I can barely believe this. Frank Field and IDS are the only two people in politics who consistently make sense on this subject and can show that they truly care. To team them up is a dream ticket, and I only hope the Government can swallow their recommendations.

This Government is challenging my cynical side very strongly; but it will take actions to convince me. I can't honestly say what they should have done in 6 days that they haven't, though.

Agree. But the 50 day test awaits.

Yep, I totally agree with that..The "get to keep a fiver" rule is just plain crap..you need to incentivise all of those people who are on the dole, to go out and do even a bit of work, because at the moment, there isn't one.

Agree. But the 50 day test awaits.

Queen's speech before that. Should give some indication of what's going ahead, vs what Sir Humphrey has talked them out of.

Yep, I totally agree with that..The "get to keep a fiver" rule is just plain crap..you need to incentivise all of those people who are on the dole, to go out and do even a bit of work, because at the moment, there isn't one.

There are only two incentives worth applying - either make the dole pay less, or work pay more. There is no point going down the road of assesments and programmes and courses, the professional dolites will always be one step ahead, and it's the genuine claiments who will be caught.

The three strikes rule for job offers is a good start, personally I think this in conjunction with saying goodbye to unskilled immigrant labour is just the ticket. This will restrict the supply of labour and make work easier to get and more attractive to natives of this country.

Don't start on how "the immigrants have such a great work ethic". The reason they work hard is because they are paid more. Simple. There were Polish teachers leaving their home country to come here and pack chickens in a factory, because it paid 3x as much once converted back into the Polish currency. Why didn't they apply their work ethic to the jobs they already had back home, and improve their nation to a higher standard, instead of deserting it at the first opportunity?

I heard Mandelson will be next to defect, he can't stay out of power for too long, or else he withers away.

A Russian ruler isn't it?

Didn't know frank was Russian?

What we really need is someone to sort out London Transport. They of course would be ' Tsar of all the rush-hours'.

Now where did I put my coat.