House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

fellow

This Thread Will Change Your Life

By reading this post, the rest of your life will be different than if you never read it. The changes will be slight at first but as time goes on the knock on effects will get greater and greater. There is nothing you can do about this. You cannot unread this post. Your life has been changed forever. The more you try to stop it, the greater the effect will be.

By reading this post, the rest of your life will be different than if you never read it. The changes will be slight at first but as time goes on the knock on effects will get greater and greater. There is nothing you can do about this. You cannot unread this post. Your life has been changed forever. The more you try to stop it, the greater the effect will be.

From now on I'll blame you for everything bad that happens in my life.

(I can no longer blame Gordon anyway.)

How many times can you dip your foot into the same stream?

Once - and what a fascinating thought. Braided futures.

As long as you thank me for the good times. I may even have saved your life.

I was blind and now I can see,, thank you

Indeed how many times can you dip your same foot?

On an infinite timescale you will eventually dip the same foot into the same stream.

When I was 5 I squashed and killed one of those tiny red spiders (that only 5 years-olds know about) on the concrete separating the playground from the football pitch at school. I was overwhelmed by the realisation that I might have changed the course of the universe by that action. I kept the thought to myself.

I did something ages ago.

Thank goodness I did, if I hadn't, everything would have been really shitty, for all of us.

Mind you, I did something else, this morning, that will ultimately lead to infinite misery for our children.

Ho hum, swings and roundabouts!

Yes but I'm not sure the change so far is positive.

You forgot to add "unless you pass this onto five other people a small cat will die in India tonight and every night until you do".

Epic Fail OP!

Must try harder!

C ME!

I think it would take a pretty big event to actually change anything.

Due to quantum uncertainty all outcomes are just an average result of trillions of random events so I don't see how one more could change anything TBH.

As far as the universe is concerned writing a message or not writing a message are just two equally insignificant random events.

If you steered an asteriod into the Earth on the other hand that might have an effect.

It's wasn't narcissism that set me off.

I had just been reading about microphysical determinism, and how political choices affect who actually exists. For example if a nation chooses 'solar power' over 'coal power', all the large and tiny changes in life from then on cause large and tiny changes in people's sex lives (a millisecond's delay will do it), which in turn mean that a different sperm will fertilise the eggs. So a different population will be born. So the political decision to 'go solar' has effectively exterminated the unborn 'coal people'; ergo, you cannot argue that the political decision has improved anyone's life. (Trust me, this sort of guff is real, and really discussed in academic circles.)

At that point I realised that any change will eventually cause the same scale of changes - so I went and wrote under that tree. It was an act of intellectual protest, at the same time acknowledging that the world is very, very strange. By some measures, every tiny thing we do is eliminating infinite worlds of unborn people; and creating infinite others.

So this one event would cause a slight change in the gene pool and alter the rest of human evolution. After a long enough time period, humans would become completely unrecognisable to what they would have otherwise evolved into. The longer the timescale the wider the impact, Eventually the entire universe will be affected.

I think it would take a pretty big event to actually change anything.

Due to quantum uncertainty all outcomes are just an average result of trillions of random events so I don't see how one more could change anything TBH.

As far as the universe is concerned writing a message or not writing a message are just two equally insignificant random events.

If you steered an asteriod into the Earth on the other hand that might have an effect.

If you were to take one atom out of the universe at the start of the big bang, do you think the universe would end up exactly the same as it is now?

If you were to take one atom out of the universe at the start of the big bang, do you think the universe would end up exactly the same as it is now?

Atoms didn't exist at the start of the big bang :ph34r:

Guest happy?

I feel like a new woman already.

Any idea when she might be arriving?

Guest X-QUORK

It's wasn't narcissism that set me off.

I had just been reading about microphysical determinism, and how political choices affect who actually exists. For example if a nation chooses 'solar power' over 'coal power', all the large and tiny changes in life from then on cause large and tiny changes in people's sex lives (a millisecond's delay will do it), which in turn mean that a different sperm will fertilise the eggs. So a different population will be born. So the political decision to 'go solar' has effectively exterminated the unborn 'coal people'; ergo, you cannot argue that the political decision has improved anyone's life. (Trust me, this sort of guff is real, and really discussed in academic circles.)

At that point I realised that any change will eventually cause the same scale of changes - so I went and wrote under that tree. It was an act of intellectual protest, at the same time acknowledging that the world is very, very strange. By some measures, every tiny thing we do is eliminating infinite worlds of unborn people; and creating infinite others.

That is truly one of the most bizarre things I've ever heard of. Absolute ******** from start to finish, of course.

Guest absolutezero

You can blame "Dave" or his comedy sidekick "Nick" instead.