House Price Crash Forum
interestrateripoff

Quango Chiefs To Be Banned From Getting More Than 20X Lowest Salary

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1278760/Frank-Field-defects-nations-Poverty-Tsar.html

Former Labour Minister Frank Field is to ‘defect’ to David Cameron’s new coalition Government by taking on the role of Britain’s ‘Poverty Tsar’, it was revealed last night.

Social conservative Mr Field is to lead a major review into poverty as part of Mr Cameron’s promise to tackle what he calls ‘Broken Britain’ – social breakdown, rising crime and the benefits dependency culture.

The move is a major boost in Mr Cameron’s attempt to show that his new Liberal-Conservative coalition can command the support of elements of the Labour Party.

In another clear sign of the coalition’s political leanings, leading Left-wing political pundit Will Hutton is to be Mr Cameron’s ‘Fair Pay Tsar’, tasked with slashing the pay of public-sector fat cats.

His job will include advising on new rules to ban local authority and quango chiefs from being paid more than 20 times the salary of the lowest paid employee in their organisation. Mr Hutton writes for The Observer, traditionally a fierce critic of the Tories.

The recruitment of Mr Field and Mr Hutton is the latest stage of what some are calling Mr Cameron’s ‘Operation Hoover’ to entice prominent non-Conservatives to work for his Government.

20x is this going to be based on what the cleaners get paid or will it conveniently be the lowest paid clerical post?

Considering the state of the UK's finances I think even 10x lowest paid wage may prove unsustainable.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1278760/Frank-Field-defects-nations-Poverty-Tsar.html

20x is this going to be based on what the cleaners get paid or will it conveniently be the lowest paid clerical post?

Considering the state of the UK's finances I think even 10x lowest paid wage may prove unsustainable.

Fck me at last someones realised the problem is not solved by the MW it is solved by reducing and linking the differential between top and bottom. Its a start and shouldnt just apply to the public sector. It should be a target for all businesses that have public shareholders with the aim of getting it down to 10

Edited by Tamara De Lempicka

It's still a ridiculous differential.

£10k low, £200k top job - in a public body.

The whole jobs for the favoured within the Quangos needs to be smashed - it won't of course.

£100k tops for the head honcho is still a lot.

To compete, survive and renew, we have to get the cost of living down in this country, the taxpayer funded artificial props in public sector wage, housing, unjustified benefits need to be withdrawn.

This is a step in the right direction, although not far enough.

Getting Frank Field on board is a stroke of genius. I don't agree with everything he suggests, but at least he has an understanding of the problem AND some new ideas.

Guest KingCharles1st

Getting Frank Field on board is a stroke of genius. I don't agree with everything he suggests, but at least he has an understanding of the problem AND some new ideas.

+1

http://www.dailymail...verty-Tsar.html

This is going to have negative effects. Fire everyone on a low wage, and bring up the base. Or perhaps outsource that bit.

Personally, I don't think any Quango chief execs have any real responsibility, in fact why are they even called Chief execs it overstates their value - the new Government should rename them under secretaries of state as that is what they are.  Salaries should be capped at about £80k, after all they are just spending money and not earning it and why not start prudence close to home.

I see pay rises pending for the lowest paid quango employees.

Pay the cleaner another 2 grand a year and the boss can trouser another 40 grand a year.

Fck me at last someones realised the problem is not solved by the MW it is solved by reducing and linking the differential between top and bottom. Its a start and shouldnt just apply to the public sector. It should be a target for all businesses that have public shareholders with the aim of getting it down to 10

Why not 3?

Why not 3?

why not 2?

a 10% differential between ranks would still allow for nearly 10 ranks.

why not 2?

a 10% differential between ranks would still allow for nearly 10 ranks.

There are two main types of ambitious people. Those who strive for money and those who strive for power.

In my experience, those who strive for money are slightly less destructive than those who strive for power.

Reducing the multiple of high incomes to low incomes means that the sector will only attract people who strive for power.

There are two main types of ambitious people. Those who strive for money and those who strive for power.

In my experience, those who strive for money are slightly less destructive than those who strive for power.

Reducing the multiple of high incomes to low incomes means that the sector will only attract people who strive for power.

wrong. as the economy is currently supported by public sector spending, salaries in all industries will realign....such is the way of DEFLATION.

I think this is just the 'tip of the iceberg'. When real pressure is exerted on budgets (in a year or so), the quangos have got to be the first in line to get wholesale slaughter.

People forget that in America, during the late 30's, FDR got so pissed off about high executive salaries that he tried to put a 100% tax on any earnings over $100,000 (1940 dollars). In the end he got a 95 or 98% tax, I think.

I think this is just the 'tip of the iceberg'. When real pressure is exerted on budgets (in a year or so), the quangos have got to be the first in line to get wholesale slaughter.

People forget that in America, during the late 30's, FDR got so pissed off about high executive salaries that he tried to put a 100% tax on any earnings over $100,000 (1940 dollars). In the end he got a 95 or 98% tax, I think.

they also dont consider that the GD1 naturally reduced this differential by a massive amount, it was the market fixing itself, as fundamentally it is the wealth differential getting out of kilter in the monetary system we use that causes these depressions

It's still a ridiculous differential.

£10k low, £200k top job - in a public body.

The whole jobs for the favoured within the Quangos needs to be smashed - it won't of course.

£100k tops for the head honcho is still a lot.

To compete, survive and renew, we have to get the cost of living down in this country, the taxpayer funded artificial props in public sector wage, housing, unjustified benefits need to be withdrawn.

Anyone who really thought this government would abolish quangos is living in fantasy land.

Even if the Tories has won a thumping majority they would have survived.

Politicians have too many mouths to feed amongst their supporters to allow them to disappear.

Just expect Labour stooges to be replaced with Conservative and Lib Dem stooges.

As for Frank Field he has a long history of coming up with electorally unpalatable proposals that quietly get dropped at a later date.

Edited by realcrookswearsuits

The highly paid in the Public Sector have been beneficiaries of our managerial culture.

There was a belief that every job, every problem, could be best solved by recruiting a high paid manager. The link between pay and quality has not beeen scrutinised.

My particular targets for pay reductions would be the NHS management structures and in the Universities.

Those institutions came late but most greedily to the trough.

What an incredible week!

All hpc's dreams coming true at once!!!

Frank Field I'm sure is looking at this in terms of right and wrong - the morals of differential wealth.

What he doesn't realise (which I know you do) is that at the same time he starts to tackle the fundamental problems of the monetary system and the act of imabalanced trade between individuals.

This would be an excellent step to start addressing this problem.

Next- make sure that tax is paid and that moral hazards at the top and bottom of society are met head on.

Frank Field is highly concerned about the traps that keep people in poverty, being means tested benefits etc. He's very much a believers in helping people help themselves.

Anyone who really thought this government would abolish quangos is living in fantasy land.

Even if the Tories has won a thumping majority they would have survived.

Politicians have too many mouths to feed amongst their supporters to allow them to disappear.

Just expect Labour stooges to be replaced with Conservative and Lib Dem stooges.

As for Frank Field he has a long history of coming up with electorally unpalatable proposals that quietly get dropped by reactionary Labour Governments at a later date.

Completed

i dont know how anyone in the public sector think they can have a basic wage higher than the PM. regardless of who the PM is they should be the highest paid plubic sector workier from the tax payers money.

i know the PM gets alot more cash than their basic, but in how many private companies are middle mamagement paid more than the CEO?

Frank Field will do fine, so long as they don't ask him to 'think the unthinkable'

Edited by nixy

Frank Field is highly concerned about the traps that keep people in poverty, being means tested benefits etc. He's very much a believers in helping people help themselves.

Yes. He is a good man. If power should be imposed, not sought, then power should be imposed on FF.