House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ken_ichikawa

Bicycles

Hi

The constant increase in the price of petrol is annoying me as is the lack of employment for another month or so. I have an old old mountain bike but it has knobbly tyres.

Anybody recommend a place to get road tyres? What brand/make would you recommend?

Also does it really make a huge amount of difference to erm rolling resistance the knobbly tyres compared to road tyres?

Thanks

Never tried road tyres in the UK but with all the potholes and sh1 t on the road, I'd be tempted to keep your existing tyres on.

If you use your bike regularly they'll wear bald in no time anyway :D That's what happened to my last bike, only went to the shops daily about 15 mins each way and within 6 months they were bald.

I'm not an expert on old old mountain bikes, but I'd guess it has 26" tyres, so make sure you get the right size (it should be on the side of the tyre). Can't recommend any particular place to buy them other than your local bike shop.

Knobbly as opposed to road tyres makes a huge difference in rolling resistance. I'd go for the smoothest you can find, with some sort of puncture resistance, perhaps Specialized Armadillo. Note also that smooth tyres aren't any slipperier than ones with tread, which seems counterintuitive. I only bring that up because smooth tyres scare some people.

Personally i would keep them on for fitness training if your only ever go short range 20 miles. It adds a ton of effort, youll get fit fast.

On the flip side if you try 35+ miles it will hurt like a barsteward, if your off work and bored brainless and just want to goooo, then yes slicks are excellent. I would also recommend making some cycling pals, cycling and pubs go well together. Also those friends may have spare slicks they can give you! Dont forgethttp://www.uk.freecycle.org/ you may be able to blag some in the wanted section or even a whole bike.

My current bike ebay I got for £20 off a mate, put bike radar on. Tbh it is a little bit like what mobile phone you use I would just get some thing local, go for a tyre that has a smooth surface with indent lines for grips.

Ive done 70 miles on that bike with those tyres going for 100 this year.

btw if you unemployed and want a cheap hobby go learn balboa/balswing lots of lovely ladies to dance with and every night out is the cost of 2 pints with a live band cant go wrong.

I'm not an expert on old old mountain bikes, but I'd guess it has 26" tyres, so make sure you get the right size (it should be on the side of the tyre). Can't recommend any particular place to buy them other than your local bike shop.

Knobbly as opposed to road tyres makes a huge difference in rolling resistance. I'd go for the smoothest you can find, with some sort of puncture resistance, perhaps Specialized Armadillo. Note also that smooth tyres aren't any slipperier than ones with tread, which seems counterintuitive. I only bring that up because smooth tyres scare some people.

Thanks.

I'm ok with repairing tubes, I can repair and put them back incredibly quickly on a motorbike so a push bike which you can flip upside down is easy (I had to learn how to do it quickly due to the millions of mozzies in siberia)

Personally i would keep them on for fitness training if your only ever go short range 20 miles. It adds a ton of effort, youll get fit fast.

On the flip side if you try 35+ miles it will hurt like a barsteward, if your off work and bored brainless and just want to goooo, then yes slicks are excellent. I would also recommend making some cycling pals, cycling and pubs go well together. Also those friends may have spare slicks they can give you! Dont forgethttp://www.uk.freecycle.org/ you may be able to blag some in the wanted section or even a whole bike.

My current bike ebay I got for £20 off a mate, put bike radar on. Tbh it is a little bit like what mobile phone you use I would just get some thing local, go for a tyre that has a smooth surface with indent lines for grips.

Ive done 70 miles on that bike with those tyres going for 100 this year.

btw if you unemployed and want a cheap hobby go learn balboa/balswing lots of lovely ladies to dance with and every night out is the cost of 2 pints with a live band cant go wrong.

Nah this Chippy is 3 miles away from where I live I reckon I can get away with borrowing a car for 1 day or the week to buy stock and commute back and forth to the chippy via push bike..

Though in the run up to this I fancy maybe cycling some of the canal ways around Manchester if the weather is good.

Nah this Chippy is 3 miles away from where I live I reckon I can get away with borrowing a car for 1 day or the week to buy stock and commute back and forth to the chippy via push bike..

Though in the run up to this I fancy maybe cycling some of the canal ways around Manchester if the weather is good.

keep them on and get fit ;)

When you hit max range and your tired get the slicks.

I dont drive, my bike is my car. Maybe spend it on waterproofs :D.

keep them on and get fit ;)

When you hit max range and your tired get the slicks.

I dont drive, my bike is my car. Maybe spend it on waterproofs :D.

Nah I'm actually going to go ride around Canals of Manchester for a bit (and hopefully not get stabbed or robbed), then maybe if the problems with the chippy are stalled further (which they are) go out and ride across Spain or something with them get to Gibraltar then cycle to one of those chav holiday spots and fly back abandonining the bike.

If you're going to ride along canals why do you need road tyres?

I would say save your money and make the best use of what you already have.

As to the effect of rolling resistance this article exlpains it all

http://www.rouesartisanales.over-blog.com/article-1503651.html

:)

The couple of miles I have to travel to get to the canals perhaps?

Hi

The constant increase in the price of petrol is annoying me as is the lack of employment for another month or so. I have an old old mountain bike but it has knobbly tyres.

Anybody recommend a place to get road tyres? What brand/make would you recommend?

Also does it really make a huge amount of difference to erm rolling resistance the knobbly tyres compared to road tyres?

Yes, road tyres will make riding a whole lot easier. And they're fine for most off-road riding: I've done more challenging tracks on a touring bike loaded with full camping gear (think Pennine Way for instance) than most mountain bikers ever do.

A decent-quality bike also makes a big difference. A £200 Halfords jobbie is an expensive way to occupy shed-space (after convincing you cycling is a chore), but a £1500 bike makes it a pleasure and is a great way to save money that might otherwise be spent on motoring and/or public transport.

FWIW, I have and recommend one of these.

leave the tires on. I did 35 mile on a mix of roads and cycle paths on friday on tires that i also do serious cross country on. If anything it will only make you a bit fitter. Also ive done near enough 600 mile on there tires and only the back one is looking bare due to heavy breaking on downhill sections

Hi

Thanks

Just go into your local cycle shop or Halfords and ask for slicks, the type they fit on hybrids.

Something like this:

http://www.evanscycles.com/categories/bike-components-bike-parts/bike-tyres-tubes/slick-tyres-26-inch-

Should have the mountain bike (car) valve too.

Guest Noodle

The headset on my new bike is making a knocking sound, click click, when under braking.

I've tightened it up. Still doing it.

Any ideas?

The headset on my new bike is making a knocking sound, click click, when under braking.

Any ideas?

Tighten it up some more.

With regard to the OP, I have schwalbe Marathon Racer on my mountain bike. They are not the slickest tyre you can get, but have some puncture resistance aswell. I am happy with them.

That link was interesting. So basically it says that skinny tyres have MORE rolling resistance than wider ones?

That link was interesting. So basically it says that skinny tyres have MORE rolling resistance than wider ones?

Depends how hard you have them pumped up - racing tyres should be rock solid.

Re running slicks on a mountain bike - from experience go with semi-slicks, otherwise cornering in the wet can be a bit dicey.

Get a track pump - and pump the existing tyres up to the limit. It will make a huge difference.

Any ideas?

Take it apart and make sure there are enough balls in it. While you`re in lube it up.

Get a track pump - and pump the existing tyres up to the limit. It will make a huge difference.

Well yeh I tried that, and the stupid tyre keeps popping out from over the rim and catches the brake. So I'm off to the bike shop in a mo to get a new tyre.

Guest Noodle

Take it apart and make sure there are enough balls in it. While you`re in lube it up.

Cheers. It's stopped now. Brand new bike. Just done 8km of road, hills and dirt track.

41 centigrade today so time for some shade.

Tis' da lyfe!

Cheers. It's stopped now. Brand new bike. Just done 8km of road, hills and dirt track.

41 centigrade today so time for some shade.

Tis' da lyfe!

Right the guy I was talking about he is apparently right next to the Laos border, he is the only teacher in the entire school as everybody else has bailed out and left the country. He told his dad to stay at home.

So seriously whats gonna happen?

Guest Noodle

Right the guy I was talking about he is apparently right next to the Laos border, he is the only teacher in the entire school as everybody else has bailed out and left the country. He told his dad to stay at home.

So seriously whats gonna happen?

Is he in Mukdahan?

Look I'll go get him and he can live here. Liveinhope is coming over Wednesday.

What's gonna happen?

Well, tomorrow I need to finish exterior painting, it's chompoo now (pink). Then Wednesday, pick John up and do a massive Makro shop although with a box of beer this run too.

Then Thursday, probably take John to the garden centre and have a look at some bamboo window blinds or get new tiles for the living room floor.

Then we'll get pissed with a load of crazy rice farmers Friday and hangover Saturday. Take Ni into Roi-Et to look for a birthday present (any ideas, she's 6).

Sunday continue painting and get PC fixed.

Monday . . . . stock up on AK47 ammo and M79 grenade launchers. Don't have the cash for a Humvee H1 with roof mounted M82.

Guest Noodle

Oh . . . Tuesday I'm doing my famous spaghetti sauce. About 10kgs, divide into portions and freeze.

Very cost effective.