House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Guest happy?

Beat The Vat Hike

Guest happy?

VAT's almost certain to rise to 20% in June - that's a 33% rise since Christmas - what's worth buying now before it goes up again?

VAT's almost certain to rise to 20% in June - that's a 33% rise since Christmas - what's worth buying now before it goes up again?

Tinned food, guns and ammo.

TBH i wont be stocking anything before the expected hike, nor will i be changing my normal purchasing regime during the period of higher VAT.

but saying that if it goes up to more that 25% i may re thinkg that, when it dropped to 15% i made little or no difference to the money in my pocket, and the extra 2.5% wont really make that much difference, Assuming it only goes up to 20%

ok for every £100 i spend its and extra £2.50 so based on the £1100 i spend each month on essentials, thats £27.50 extra i have to spend, or £27.50 less i have in my pocket. thats based on the full £1100 being spent of VAT-able goods, but a proporting is on VAT free stuff. so it will be less than that.

in reality it will only be approx £6 down as the savings i made with the reduction of VAT last year.

i'm getting ******ed by IR's on savings, i'd rather IR's went up

Anything thats imported and already has a bad foreign currency - pound conversion rate. I'm thinking in particular of anything sold by Apple. They will use the increase to round-up any change so that it is more than than the marginal increase in VAT. On something costing a few hundred pounds it will add up significantly.

Prices of consumer electronics in general tend to change quickly anyway so they'll probably be the first things to show any increases. Big things like cars not so much although they might increase in a couple of months.

Problem with Apple is that they tend to announce new stuff at the start of June so you can buy something now but risk it being out of date in a month (e.g. expect iPhone 4G this year). Or wait and pay over the odds...

Anything if I can come up with a reason to put it through the business so I can get the VAT back.

Guest X-QUORK

Ah, the joys of stats. I can see the Daily Mail twisting that to read "Prices rise by 33%!! PANIC!!!!!!!!!!!!!".

Ultra cheap chicken rather than the posh yellow stuff :P

Keep the cheap stuff in the fridge for a few weeks and it goes yellow anyway, no point in paying extra for that.

When did they start charging VAT on chicken?

Some time towards the end of July 2010 maybe? (the emergency budget is in around 50 days time I think). I will be personally surprised if they do put VAT on basics like chicken but it's not out of the question; many other countries charge sales tax of one sort or another on some types of food after all.

Guest happy?

Ah, the joys of stats. I can see the Daily Mail twisting that to read "Prices rise by 33%!! PANIC!!!!!!!!!!!!!".

Yes but beans or alcohol?

I've been a-dither all day long.

- Did home made presents last year, okay some were created from products purchased from shops. Sloe Gin, wall ornament made with air dry clay then painted that sort of thing.

- Limited Purchases to £10 max.

- Pay as you go phone.

- No holiday trips.

- 2 Nights out a week only 2 drinks then dance the night away to a live band.

- Home cooking, own bread etc.

- Bike rides to keep fit with a packed lunch.

- 1 game purchase a year.

- No TV Tax.

only other thing to do is eat rice and what i can gather in the wilds lol.