House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Realistbear

President Copaloadofdis Of Greece To Sue Us Banks

http://preview.bloomberg.com/news/2010-05-15/greece-may-take-legal-steps-against-u-s-banks-for-crisis-papandreou-says.html

Greece May Take Legal Steps Against U.S. Banks for Crisis, Papandreou Says
By Timothy R. Homan - May 15, 2010 Email Share Print
May 14 (Bloomberg) -- Michael Aronstein, chief investment strategist at Oscar Gruss & Son Inc., and Joshua Rosner, managing director for Graham Fisher & Co., talk with Bloomberg's Matt Miller and Carol Massar about Europe's sovereign-debt crisis and U.S. efforts at financial regulatory overhaul. Aronstein calls the rescue and austerity measures "deflationary." (Source: Bloomberg)
Greece is considering taking legal action against U.S. investment banks that might have contributed to the country’s debt crisis, Prime Minister George Papandreou said.

Locus Standi to you Copaloadofdis! The President of Greece is obviously taking a page out of Brown's ledger by blaming the US banks. Eager to put their snouts in the trough when it all looked like easy money but now it has all taken on the shape of a pear its time to find something to blame.

Jest about such things but Greece and ital could easily have gone pro-Communist post-1945 and both Portugal and Spain were basket-case dictatorships.

Eventually these people are going to wake up that, at best, they are being shafted by US banks and, at worse, will perceive it as Economic War. Knowing they have no chance of winning militarily against the US what will be the response?

At a time when the West is fighting Islamic extremists does it wish to be fighting the Med Countries?

Down this road in 1940 the Germans came...

Eventually these people are going to wake up that, at best, they are being shafted by US banks and, at worse, will perceive it as Economic War. Knowing they have no chance of winning militarily against the US what will be the response?

Well said, I'm starting to see a pattern, Iceland just started sueing the banksters too.

With all respect hotairmail, I think you are missing the point.

It is immaterial where these organisations are based - they probably have large offices in every major capital on the planet - but it the changing World order that is now happening.

Historians will probably look back on this time much in the same way as they look on the 1920s and 1930s now... assuming that there are any left...

The American banks are like a plague of locusts devouring everything that comes into their path - anyone who dares to even question their power is destroyed.

People in Africa and the Third World picked up on this long ago. Likewise for people in the Middle East. Now it is happening in Europe?

Wow - big and dangerous changes.

London is (was?) the modern day Chicago in terms of Banksters operating in a "soft touch" regulatory environment.* IMO, very little to distinguish RBS et. al. from the US banks such as Lehman, Goldman Sachs and Merrill Lynch. They all pulled jobs within their own spheres and are still drawing the proceeds of their heists under the guise of "bonuses. The fact that RBS, for example, is 80% public owned seems to have made not one iota of difference to the robberies.

This is Brown's (not getting much mention any more) legacy that he will have to take to the grave.

*Ask no questions, tell no lies me hearties.

London is (was?) the modern day Chicago in terms of Banksters operating in a "soft touch" regulatory environment.* IMO, very little to distinguish RBS et. al. from the US banks such as Lehman, Goldman Sachs and Merrill Lynch. They all pulled jobs within their own spheres and are still drawing the proceeds of their heists under the guise of "bonuses.

It's surprising but I'm almost agreeing with you here, all major US/UK/EU banks are instruments of the 'elite', but there is a clear hierarchy and Goldman Sachs is clearly at the top of this hierarchy.

Brown is/was a convert to the NWO so he made sure the banks were free to use London as a base where they had ample freedom.

Edited by wise_eagle

It's surprising but I'm almost agreeing with you here, all major US/UK/EU banks are instruments of the 'elite', but there is a clear hierarchy and Goldman Sachs is clearly at the top of this hierarchy.

Brown is/was a convert to the NWO so he made sure the banks were free to use London as a base where they had ample freedom.

The UK appears to have a much worse record than the US. In the US I am reading about investigations and charges and people being brought to book. Well, maybe not everyone, but at least something is happening, even if if isnt enough.

But what about the UK? You have at the very least cause to investigate Peter Cummings and James Crosby at HBOS. There was the rights issue by RBS when they knew they were bust and didnt tell the shareholders. And of course the Lloyds board who didnt tell the shareholders that HBOS was completely bust and not worth a penny. And that is just the low hanging fruit. Not to mention Bradford and Bingley and Northern Rock.

Has anyone even heard of an investigation going on in the UK?

Has anyone even heard of an investigation going on in the UK?

I haven't. I agree the UK has become the banksta paradise, more so than those tax havens in the Caribbean (who happen to be crown dependencies too... coincidence? probably not)

Edited by wise_eagle

I haven't. I agree the UK has become the banksta paradise, more so than those tax havens in the Caribbean (who happen to be crown dependencies too... coincidence? probably not)

Living in Italy in the 1990s, I saw the huge purge of corrupt politicians there.

It was evident that the difference between Italy and the UK was that we were much more subtle about our corrupt practices. Our finessed alternatives to Italian practices were generally able to remain on the right side of deliberately-vague laws. And the heart of corruption here was not in elected politicians, but in the judiciary and civil service (some of Sir Humphrey's colleagues).

It's clear our establishment includes "the city", and that they are mostly, if not above the law, then at least detached from it. What's more, they even got a good press until recently: remember the fuss made when those evil 'merkins wanted to extradite the "NatWest Three" to face charges in connection with Enron?

British Justice. Best in the world (provided you're "one of us").

Living in Italy in the 1990s, I saw the huge purge of corrupt politicians there.

Unfortunately those corrupt politicians simply got replaced by even more corrupt politicians, but I agree that purge was epic and unheard of in any other western democracy (even though it would be necessary in other countries too).

There is a saying in Italy:

tutto cambia affinche' nulla cambia - all changes so that nothing changes.

I really hope this saying will be proven wrong soon.

It was evident that the difference between Italy and the UK was that we were much more subtle about our corrupt practices. Our finessed alternatives to Italian practices were generally able to remain on the right side of deliberately-vague laws. And the heart of corruption here was not in elected politicians, but in the judiciary and civil service (some of Sir Humphrey's colleagues).

It's clear our establishment includes "the city", and that they are mostly, if not above the law, then at least detached from it. What's more, they even got a good press until recently: remember the fuss made when those evil 'merkins wanted to extradite the "NatWest Three" to face charges in connection with Enron?

British Justice. Best in the world (provided you're "one of us").

Agreed, I'm convinced corruption (or rather "you scratch my back and I'll scratch yours" kind of exchange of favours) is endemic in UK politics, judiciary and corporate world too, but primarily at higher levels, 'normal' people never come across it.

This is hard to eradicate since it's a consequence of the prevalence of freemasonry among personalities in important positions. In fact I would doubt anyone can reach any position of importance in the UK without being a loyal freemason.

Edited by wise_eagle

Papandreou needs to steer clear of any grassy knolls if he persists with this course of action.

World War 1 started with a bullet.

World War 2 started with a tank.

World War 3 will start with a Direct Debit.

No - my point was that I think you are missing the point.

These American companies couldn't do what they wanted to do in the United States.

They set up office somewhere sufficiently lax and without morals that would allow them to do many things...

Madoff - accountants

AIG - cds betting blow up

Linklaters - repo 105's at Lehman's and no doubt sovereigns

Structured credit centre of the globe - CDO's RMBS

Are you trying to suggest that's because they would get sued in the US courts...

This thread is going off at a tangent blaming a few U.S. banks for all the world's ills (people have obviously been listening to Brown and the BBC too much).

Greece went to Goldman and paid them to cook their books a bit to gain entry to the euro. This sleight of hand was known to all, if not the precise details, and we all know that similar slights to place in many other club Med countries. The politicians did not care - they had political reasons for pursuing this project.

Then came the eurozone with its ultra-low interest rates. Greece was suddenly able to borrow at a credit spread not far off German levels, and the government and its people joined in the fun, enjoying the credit boom.

The rapid expansion in the money supply was clear and statistically recognised, but no one was there to do everything.

Now the sh!t has hit the fan and they want someone to blame and the (surviving) banks seem to have very deep pockets. It must be their fault, they are rich!!

The banks played a part, but were neither the cause nor the sole facilitators of what has happened.

This thread is going off at a tangent blaming a few U.S. banks for all the world's ills (people have obviously been listening to Brown and the BBC too much).

Greece went to Goldman and paid them to cook their books a bit to gain entry to the euro. This sleight of hand was known to all, if not the precise details, and we all know that similar slights to place in many other club Med countries. The politicians did not care - they had political reasons for pursuing this project.

Then came the eurozone with its ultra-low interest rates. Greece was suddenly able to borrow at a credit spread not far off German levels, and the government and its people joined in the fun, enjoying the credit boom.

The rapid expansion in the money supply was clear and statistically recognised, but no one was there to do everything.

Now the sh!t has hit the fan and they want someone to blame and the (surviving) banks seem to have very deep pockets. It must be their fault, they are rich!!

The banks played a part, but were neither the cause nor the sole facilitators of what has happened.

Aiding and Abeting is an offence in most countries.

No - my point was that I think you are missing the point.

These American companies couldn't do what they wanted to do in the United States.

They set up office somewhere sufficiently lax and without morals that would allow them to do many things...

IIRC the guy who served as an inspiration for Wall Street's Gordon Gekko character left New York to lead the London branch of AIG.

Madoff - accountants

AIG - cds betting blow up

Linklaters - repo 105's at Lehman's and no doubt sovereigns

Structured credit centre of the globe - CDO's RMBS

AIG - for all your Lie Insurance needs.

Edited by Dave Spart