HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446
HOLA447
HOLA448
HOLA449

I wonder when the penny is going to drop that anything associated with IT is the new Binman job?

That's not a genius job.

How can this be so? Much of the modern economy is underpinned by IT systems, as such the development and maintenance of these systems should command rather more than a life of penury.

HOLA4410

TBH I don't have the skills to do that job, but I know plenty of people who do and none of them has any formal training in IT.

Still £14k - £20k ain't so bad from where I'm sitting without a job.

HOLA4411
HOLA4412

How can this be so? Much of the modern economy is underpinned by IT systems, as such the development and maintenance of these systems should command rather more than a life of penury.

The modern economy is also underpinned by reading and writing.

In the 16th century, such skills made you rich.

Now they are ten a penny and so ubiqitous as to be worthless.

HOLA4413

Such wages should be reserved for jobs whose requirements do not exceed  the possession of limbs

May as well just get used to it, all of us, what ever job we do (unless your a banker). It's the future.

HOLA4414
HOLA4415

I wonder when the penny is going to drop that anything associated with IT is the new Binman job?

That's not a genius job.

Such wages should be reserved for jobs whose requirements do not exceed the possession of limbs

I would have thought a machine could do that job.

that sums it up.

HOLA4416

Oh I don't know, if education carries on along current trends there could be a living to be made filling in peoples forms for them in a few years.....

HOLA4417

I went to an interview once which had a similar list of "required skills" but it was clear within about 30 seconds that nobody on the interview panel had the first clue what any of them were.

HOLA4418
HOLA4419

Do you have any evidence that proves that job is worth anything more than NMW ?

Good God!!! I AGREE WITH 'uptherebels' formally 'uptherams' I Believe.

The IT industry was vastly overvalued from day one, grew to unsustainable proportions and has slowly been in decline.

OK the clever ones are worth thier wieght in gold, but they are very few and far between.

Nowadays anyone with an ounce of sense could blag thier way through that interview.

HOLA4420

Good God!!! I AGREE WITH 'uptherebels' formally 'uptherams' I Believe.

The IT industry was vastly overvalued from day one, grew to unsustainable proportions and has slowly been in decline.

OK the clever ones are worth thier wieght in gold, but they are very few and far between.

Nowadays anyone with an ounce of sense could blag thier way through that interview.

Spoken like someone whose familiarity with IT begins and ends with their facebook page.

HOLA4421

Anyone with those skills could earn £3-400 per day easy.

Not in IT of course. But that would be the obvious route. The sharp tacks work out how and where to make these skills stand out. ;)

Lucky for me there are not too many sharp tacks about !!!

HOLA4422
HOLA4423
HOLA4424

Hooker?

Nope. I have explained this before numerous times. It is very simple. Go to the places where people will look at someone who can do whizzy things with Excel and go 'Wow lets pay them a fortune !'.

The middle of an IT department with half the team insourced from Banaglore is not the best place to do this - however this is where most of this lot head for !! Probably why they are on IT. Very clever with the techie stuff but not too great at thinking outside the box - pardon the *****y business speak.

There is a mass of work out there, and for the next few years, involving some very large names that we all know of. They will all be using excel and access and the rest. They pay a fortune. However most of their staff don't know how to use excel and access properly.

Not rocket science. Be the techie where there are no others. In fact you don't even have to be a techie !! Just the one person who can press Alt + F11 in Excel and not have a heart attack.

HOLA4425

Thats a good point - IT skills are less valued now - some of the salaries for IT contractors are way overpaid - Contractors looking for big hourly rates, when looking at the CVs you'd have to say that if lot of them moved into something else outside IT they would be lucky to earn over 40K a year.

But then again IT is different to lots of other professions, its not like accountancy for example where you have professional exams, and a staff grades to climb, and a clear career path, you bounced around from one job to another, often you have to deal with so many other things which are outside your job - which is perhaps the reasons why contractors earn more.

But for this sort of Salary are you likely to get anyone good, like someone who has good real world experience of all these languages - there probably looking for someone to make minor updates, not a proper software developer, more like junior application support.

Archived