House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
R K

European Govt. Seizes Middle Class Bank Accounts

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/8682174.stm

It's Greece, obviously.

The finance ministry warned that it would confiscate the contents of bank accounts belonging to those who owed money to the state.

It estimates that by seizing such accounts, it can collect more than $40bn (£27bn), which constitutes 10% of Greece's enormous national debt.

The government's move is designed to satisfy widespread public demands for tax cheats to be punished.

It also aims to pacify ordinary people who are angry that they are having to suffer pay cuts and tax rises and believe that the rich are escaping scot-free.

Doctors, along with lawyers and other freelance, middle-class professionals, have been accused of fuelling Greece's black economy by failing to give receipts and under-declaring income.

While the name-and-shame campaign will undoubtedly win approval in some quarters of Greek society, it will also increase pressure on the government to lift parliamentary immunity, which currently protects corrupt politicians from being prosecuted.

Doctors, lawyers and other freelance middle class professionals. Having their bank accounts seized to the tune of £27BN.

Over to you Injin.

It's Greece, obviously.

Doctors, lawyers and other freelance middle class professionals. Having their bank accounts seized to the tune of £27BN.

Over to you Injin.

They haven't even siezed a few rich peoples accounts first so that the mob cheers for the principle!

No foreplay, these greeks.

next move will be flight out of greece, probably by buying stuff in other countries...followed by protectionism....

They haven't even siezed a few rich peoples accounts first so that the mob cheers for the principle!

No foreplay, these greeks.

next move will be flight out of greece, probably by buying stuff in other countries...followed by protectionism....

Wot, no butter?

Didn't they reduce the amount you could withdraw in cash at their banks recently too?

And then we had that clamp down on 500 euro notes the other day.

Not sure if the Greek govt. can seize assets held in non-Greek accounts to pay taxes. Anybody know? Can they seize Greek nationals money in British banks?

I think we can see why Europe wants to keep people within the bankstering system. It ain't to reduce transaction costs..........

Wot, no butter?

Didn't they reduce the amount you could withdraw in cash at their banks recently too?

Not sure if the Greek govt. can seize assets held in non-Greek accounts to pay taxes. Anybody know? Can they seize Greek nationals money in British banks?

I think we can see why Europe wants to keep people within the bankstering system. It ain't to reduce transaction costs..........

If they can't legally they will seize and then sort it, not sort it then seize.

Can only see this behaviour catching on.

You don't know how Greek works if you belive that this will ever happen, that announcement has only been made to keep the poorer people happy, in reality no accounts will ever be seized (worst case a back-hander will avoid it).

You don't know how Greek works if you belive that this will ever happen, that announcement has only been made to keep the poorer people happy, in reality no accounts will ever be seized (worst case a back-hander will avoid it).

youd be suprised what desperation results in, things have changed.

This is not new, if it can happen in the US then it can happen anywhere

It's Greece, obviously.

Over to you Injin.

what a stupid thing to pre-announce. anyone who 'owes money to the state' is probably currently in the que (how do you spell quo I can't work it out?) to empty their account as we speak / post

Wot, no butter?

Yes. If they have a Greek court judgement for unpaid tax, they can register it in the English county court / Scottish sheriff court as appropriate. Then seizing bank balances is one of the remedies available to them to enforce the judgement.

They cannot seize, nor audit, what they have no access to. I expect the wealthy Greeks to open offshore accounts. There is no disadvantage to this, you still get your cheque book, you Visa card etc, but nobody but you has any access. Even a Greek court judgement means nothing since other nations banks are not bound by Greek judgements.

what a stupid thing to pre-announce. anyone who 'owes money to the state' is probably currently in the que (how do you spell quo I can't work it out?) to empty their account as we speak / post

queue

queue

man - certainly not a word for the dyslexic amongst us. I'll have to think of an alternative word that's easier to spell in the future.

Edit: I know - Line. sounds a bit american but kinda sounz s!ck

Edited by Ben from Dover

man - certainly not a word for the dyslexic amongst us. I'll have to think of an alternative word that's easier to spell in the future.

the trouble with that word is that if some professional models pop into the toilets in a club to do a couple of quick queues they will have a completely different experience to what they expected.

the trouble with that word is that if some professional models pop into the toilets in a club to do a couple of quick queues they will have a completely different experience to what they expected.

don't get it????

Gosh now I've made myself look dumb twice on the same thread.

This is not new, if it can happen in the US then it can happen anywhere

As if the US is a benchmark or example for the world, don't make me laugh!

The simple fact they announced it, already means it won't happen, if they intended to do it they wouldn't have announced it.

Edited by wise_eagle

Yes. If they have a Greek court judgement for unpaid tax, they can register it in the English county court / Scottish sheriff court as appropriate. Then seizing bank balances is one of the remedies available to them to enforce the judgement.

Ouch.

Taxy taxy turns into seizy seizy.

The rich Greeks are immune to this. They'll pay the money into accounts held off-shore by discretionary trusts or foundations and it'll be immune from seizure.

Even if they do get assets seized. I can't see anyone hanging around for long after that happens.

Can you say "Brain Drain" in Greek?

It's a tricky one but you can learn how to spell it. You know it begins Q and that q is mostly followed by U. QUE, then repeat the last 2 vowels. QUE-UE, queue.

Even if they do get assets seized. I can't see anyone hanging around for long after that happens.

Can you say "Brain Drain" in Greek?

Happened already, know numerous professionals that have worked in the UK for years, dentists, engineers, middle management.

For most youngsters there is no meritocracy at home. Many Greek students in the UK instead, their higher education selection does not help. My wife best do her tax return on time this year. :s