House Price Crash Forum
fru-gal

Do You Think Benefits Will Be Cut And If So What And By How Much?

Are there actually going to be any cuts to benefits (especially housing benefit/LHA, tax credits etc)? At the moment it seems that only workers are going to be taxed more, especially those earning higher amounts in order to help the poorly paid. I've got no problem with paying more tax to help those genuinely in lower paid jobs get more money but I'm damned if I'm going to pay more tax/NI so that the benefit class can have more. I've worked bloody hard to be on a good wage and spent a lot of money getting qualified along the way. I'm sick of subsidising the feckless and workshy.

Are there actually going to be any cuts to benefits (especially housing benefit/LHA, tax credits etc)? At the moment it seems that only workers are going to be taxed more, especially those earning higher amounts in order to help the poorly paid. I've got no problem with paying more tax to help those genuinely in lower paid jobs get more money but I'm damned if I'm going to pay more tax/NI so that the benefit class can have more. I've worked bloody hard to be on a good wage and spent a lot of money getting qualified along the way. I'm sick of subsidising the feckless and workshy.

i doubt it.

The "feckless and workshy" have too much time to vote! ;)

of course not.

like overfishing we will fish until there are no more... then we will put in paper fish and fish them out.

course, noone wll notice so its alright for governments to do this. no consequences whatsoever.

Housing benefit will be cut big time, landlords will have to drop the rent, that doesn`t affect the fabric of society, continuing down Gordons path does. They will build council houses (do we even need that many?) and make token annoncements about doing so and keeping bulders "in the North" in work. An overhaul of the benefits system will be forced on them I think, they might not otherwise want to because maybe there are votes in not doing so? can`t see austerity Britain being too welcoming to swathes of immigrants either anymore? Dave can make a fuss about overthrowing Thatchers council house sell off or something, must be easier to give people a cheap council rent and do some repairs for them than continue with this madness?

Something has to be done.

I don't wish to post my financial details here, but the amount my family gets given is just plain wrong.

I know I'm entitled to the payments, but I am genuinely embarrassed at the money we get. Some of it will be going to charity.

I can see quite a lot of wishful thinking on this thread. Where does it say anywhere in either party's mainifesto or in the Condem agreement that they plan to cut benefit rates (except for reducing tax credits to those on higher incomes)?

Be careful what you wish for. What will happen IMHO is that there'll be more means testing. The Libdems wanted this before the election, so that families with more than a certain income will not get child benefit.

Those who've never paid into the system get more than those that do or did. More of the usual completely mistaken thinking that got us into this mess in the first place I'm afraid.

Anyway, cutting housing benefit would cause BTL to collapse, thereby crystalising the truth about the banks being insolvent.

I can see quite a lot of wishful thinking on this thread. Where does it say anywhere in either party's mainifesto or in the Condem agreement that they plan to cut benefit rates (except for reducing tax credits to those on higher incomes)?

Be careful what you wish for. What will happen IMHO is that there'll be more means testing. The Libdems wanted this before the election, so that families with more than a certain income will not get child benefit.

Those who've never paid into the system get more than those that do or did. More of the usual completely mistaken thinking that got us into this mess in the first place I'm afraid.

Anyway, cutting housing benefit would cause BTL to collapse, thereby crystalising the truth about the banks being insolvent.

Cuts to all govt spending will accelerate over the next few years once the tax takes starts contracting again which it should do rather rapidly once corporate and personal bankruptcies start ramping up again towards the end of this year.

The govts entire model for cuts/freezes for this parliament is based on miraculous continuation of fraudulent bubble financial sector debt growth for the next few years, what they will be getting is massive contraction bigger than 07/08, but then it will be 'unexpected' so not anybodys fault

Edited by Tamara De Lempicka

I'm sure the current government would be delighted to put 10p on the basic rate of income tax to keep all the (labour voting) welfare recipients in the style they've become acustomed to. :rolleyes:

Much cheaper to bail out the banks again rather than keep pouring money down the bottomless HB pit.

I think there should be massive cuts to benefits, but i don't think there will be any at all.

i do think there should be a "safety net", but our benefits are more often that not used as a way of life, in some areas of Britain there are generations of families that have never worked, yet expect handouts . People have no work ethic anymore. and whilst i am stereotyping, i believe it is this demographic that also use up more NHS resources, with drink, drug, diet and smoking related problems.

that's just my opinion, the politicians can see what needs to be done, but just don't have the balls to do it.

while we are at it i would also like a voluntary eugenics program to be introduced, before the film Idiocracy moves from comedy to documentary/prophecy

IMO if the government are serious about a fixed term of 5 years, and that they could realistically avoid being overthrown in that time, then it could mean very painful cuts this year and next. That would have to include the welfare state.

Time will tell, but unless the welfare state is addressed, the squeeze will need to come from the tax system which just won't be tolerated. I don't think we can inflate our debts away with forcing up the minimum living costs which would increase the costs of the welfare state.

Guest happy?

Then you're out of luck - benefits wont be cut. Disproportionate taxation of those on low incomes will be via VAT, making fewer people eligible aka 'targetting', and by benefits freeze or below inflationary 'rises'.

Edited by happy?

inflation

Agreed, but I'm not sure which (if any) benefits are index linked.

The coalition agreement gold-plates basic state pensions:

"The basic state pension is guaranteed to rise by whichever is the highest out of average wage increases, inflation or 2.5 per cent. This is a Lib Dem policy adopted by the coalition government. " (Telegraph)

That fundamentally wrong to me, given that we're all supposed to be in this together.

Then you're out of luck - benefits wont be cut. Disproportionate taxation of those on low incomes will be via VAT, making fewer people eligible aka 'targetting', and by benefits freeze or below inflationary 'rises'.

All of which amount to a lower overall benefit bill and/or cuts in the real value of payments -- which is the important measure.

Although not a 'benefit' as such Child Tax Credits are bound to be means tested. AFAIK you are entitled to a tax credit if you have a household income of up to £55k ! That's absolute madness. Also Child benefit should go for anyone on more than £25k as should the Child Trust fund. Local housing allowance will be radically overhauled, VAT at %20 CGT at 40%, they will also of course keep the tax on insurance premiums and many of the other sneaky Brown 'tax by stealth' measures. As for benefits being cut, probably not, they are much more likely to disqualify people from claiming certain benefits by means testing and barriers to entry.

As raised above I would expect Child Benefits to be cut for those on higher incomes. I certainly wouldn't complain. Its a nice bonus every month that I have been paying into investments for my kids since they were born but we don't need it. With a bit of compound interest it might add up to one term's tuition fees at uni but it isn't going to change their world.

The devil is in the detail. Read between the lines...

Cameron in his summing up speech at the leaders debates:

"If you work, I'll support you".

At one end of the spectrum we have the benefit cheats taking millions out of the pot then at the other end we have the rich that refuse to pay tax , if this coalition is to get any credence in my opinion it has to do something quickly about both these on a massive scale but will they? very much doubt it Its how it is and always has been that the workers will pay to get the deficit under control make no mistake about it.,

Edited by papag

Cameron has already stated, in so many words, that if you're unemployed and turn down work, you won't be able to go on claiming benefits.

I suspect that politically it's time for a bit of right wing policy and the country is so sick to death of the layabouts and scroungers that this could actually happen.

I think they'll be quite large cuts in the overall budget. All middle class benefits will be

scrapped immediately.

I'd expect housing benefit to be cut by 5%, or held for a number of years. The higher end (upto

£1000/week FFS!) might get halved straight away.

Other benefits will probably be left, but held for inflation to eat into. They'll redefine the

whole system so working is always a much better option, but that will take time.

Another option is to add VAT to current zero VAT items. This would be like benefit cut.

Guest DestroyBrown

Govts take the line of least resistance

It SHOULD be easy to cut benefits, after all these people have no bargaining power "If you cut my benefits then I'll take my depression/bad back/idle **** elsewhere!"

For some reason they prefer to cut/tax everything else first

Edited by DestroyBrown