Drill

Sander

Grinder

Pick Up engine (expensive)

Fan

DVD player . . .

and now the scooter engine!

All blown up in the last 6 weeks.

A new scooter is GBP1000. But they're hopeless on these roads, punctures every kilometre.

A Kawasaki KLX250 is GBP3300 and an ER6-F well over GBP5300. So they're not an option.

Do I go for the scooter or a mountain bike at around GBP300?

I thinking push bike.

HOLA442

So that's;

PC

Drill

Sander

Grinder

Fan

DVD player . . .

A new scooter is GBP1000. But they're hopeless on these roads, punctures every kilometre.

A Kawasaki KLX250 is GBP3300 and an ER6-F well over GBP5300. So they're not an option.

I thinking push bike.

You were obviously a right Barsteward in your previous druidic existance !! Karma dear boy Karma

HOLA443
Guest Noodle

You were obviously a right Barsteward in your previous druidic existance !! Karma dear boy Karma

Push bike I think. What could possibly go wrong?

HOLA444

So that's;

PC

Drill

Sander

Grinder

Fan

DVD player . . .

I thinking push bike.

Replace the wheels with spoked ones and put a mousse into your tyre instead of a tube, during the Amur highway i had 26 punctures, Tony got 52 punctures on the BAM road, there were a trillion mosquitoes just to make it fun.

HOLA445
Guest Noodle

Replace the wheels with spoked ones and put a mousse into your tyre instead of a tube, during the Amur highway i had 26 punctures, Tony got 52 punctures on the BAM road, there were a trillion mosquitoes just to make it fun.

Oh I'd be right at home.

Used to fill plant tyres with that mousse. Can't find it here.

HOLA446

Mosquitoes are gods way of saying 'Eat more garlic'

HOLA447

Get yourself a decent bike - but make sure you have some way of securing it so it does not get nicked.

Mountain bike IMPO as the chunky tyres will be better on the puncturing roads you describe. Your health will improve dramatically and it is fun.

Consider a helmet.

HOLA448
Guest Noodle

Get yourself a decent bike - but make sure you have some way of securing it so it does not get nicked.

Mountain bike IMPO as the chunky tyres will be better on the puncturing roads you describe. Your health will improve dramatically and it is fun.

Consider a helmet.

Helmet?

I often ride the new Kawasaki Ninja without one!

Should learn to be an adult really.

Yes, push bike it is and reckon II can pick up a fancy 2nd hand one off another farang for a tenth of what the dirty old sexpat paid for it.

Lot of Trek bikes here.

Which one should I look for?

HOLA449

Helmet?

I often ride the new Kawasaki Ninja without one!

Should learn to be an adult really.

Yes, push bike it is and reckon II can pick up a fancy 2nd hand one off another farang for a tenth of what the dirty old sexpat paid for it.

Lot of Trek bikes here.

Which one should I look for?

Just set yourself a budget and go for it - second hand makes sense. Make sure it is nice and light though - pick up several bikes with one hand and compare the weights. You will soon give up riding something that is heavy compared to a nice light bike.

The combo city bikes come mountain bikes are good but from what you say about tyres perhaps a mountain bike is one to go for. Try loads out - make sure you are not bending your back and neck too much, make sure you are comfortable, just use commonsense when it comes to brakes, pedals, etc.

The weight of a bike is the important thing.

Get yourself a helmet though and a good chain/lock.

HOLA4410
HOLA4411
HOLA4412
HOLA4413
Guest Noodle

Just set yourself a budget and go for it - second hand makes sense. Make sure it is nice and light though - pick up several bikes with one hand and compare the weights. You will soon give up riding something that is heavy compared to a nice light bike.

The combo city bikes come mountain bikes are good but from what you say about tyres perhaps a mountain bike is one to go for. Try loads out - make sure you are not bending your back and neck too much, make sure you are comfortable, just use commonsense when it comes to brakes, pedals, etc.

The weight of a bike is the important thing.

Get yourself a helmet though and a good chain/lock.

There won't be many 2nd's available and they'll be spread out all over the country.

Any particular model of Trek I should look for? They're pretty much the only MB here.

HOLA4414
HOLA4415
HOLA4416
Guest happy?

that's even cooler than an FS1E, I wonder if they do a fully faired version

There's nothing cooler than a fizzy.

Remember - pushbike + fully-inflated tyres = fewer punctures and faster ride.

HOLA4417
Guest Noodle

I'm concerned about the running costs over a motorbike.

I put 100 Baht a month in the old death trap in gasohol.

My current food bill is about 70-100 Baht a day.

If I have to peddle, this is likely to go up to around 20,000 Baht a day (about 440 quid) which negates the capital costs savings of a moped in a day and a half.

HOLA4418
Guest Noodle

Okay, done it.

Push bike thing. I've learned that especially out here cheap does not mean cheap and sufficient, it means cheap tat that will last until Wednesday.

So amazingly I found a Mongoose TYAX Sport, Aluminium frame, front shocks, hard tail, front and rear disc brakes for just over GBP300, so nearly on budget.

Been out on the thing and feel absolutely dire but already itching for the sun to rise once more so I can go for a ride.

Packed up the fags too and what with that and saving about 9 quid a month on fuel, this thing pays for itself in well under a year.

Oh and it's snow white with black everything else and looks the biz.

HOLA4419

Mosquitoes are gods way of saying 'Eat more garlic'

You would have to eat the world's supply to get rid of the mozzies in Siberia, more than once (when I camped near some still water without realising until after I had set up camp, I went outside with full biking gear + helmet on.

I looked down and saw more mosquitoes than leather jacket or jeans there were so many.

HOLA4420
HOLA4421

I've been putting off buiying a bike for ages as the ones I like are £300 and that just seems too much. If you guys are happy to pay that then maybe I should take the plunge. I'll have a look round Halfords and JJB tomorrow. Sounds like Giant's a good one then.

HOLA4422
Guest Noodle

I've been putting off buiying a bike for ages as the ones I like are £300 and that just seems too much. If you guys are happy to pay that then maybe I should take the plunge. I'll have a look round Halfords and JJB tomorrow. Sounds like Giant's a good one then.

No point buying 120 quid bikes here, awful. False economy.

Try here;

www.evanscycles.co.uk

HOLA4423
HOLA4424

Yeah, Giant CRS 3 looks good for 325 RRP.

I've got a 25 year old British made 'sports' bike so no excuse to buy a new bike. Usually end up using a 60 quid mountain bike for going down the post office...what a heap!

As for a motorbike I'm still thinking and looking. Maybe I've got to the point where I can play this game with myself indefinately! Know what I mean?

HOLA4425

Yeah, Giant CRS 3 looks good for 325 RRP.

I've got a 25 year old British made 'sports' bike so no excuse to buy a new bike. Usually end up using a 60 quid mountain bike for going down the post office...what a heap!

As for a motorbike I'm still thinking and looking. Maybe I've got to the point where I can play this game with myself indefinately! Know what I mean?

You will go blind !

Archived