House Price Crash Forum

I wonder why....is it because it is an upfront cost so deters people putting their homes on the market? Can't have that can we. ;)

Indeed, I think it is great news for striking FTBs. More supply, although it could be seen as broadly neutral, since sellers are likely to be buyers as well (except the usual end of chainers.)

More supply,

Really ?

You think that someone who is a real, committed seller is going to be put off by having to have a HIP ? If anything they act as a useful deterrent to people putting their house on just "to test the market"

Plus, ask yourself why EAs hate them and campaigned against them. It's because they tell even the most numpty buyer, incapable of using the internet, what the house was bought for and when. as such they're a useful brake on people putting dumb offers in

Me, I like them cos it saves £4 on the LR site to find out that, plus any planning issues, and whether there are charges on the house RoWs etc etc.

Just mentioned on radio 5. Hips to be scrapped

They only cost about £150 anyway now don't they?. Probably won't make much difference. I like them, gives some good info without having to pay out for a survey.

What date are they to to be scrapped?

Anybody know if this is going to include the Home Report in Scotland?

Has a looskie but couldn't see anything and folk tend to talk about the HIP and Home Report as being the same thing.

£150 my bottom - blasted things cost £750 where I live ...

Really ?

You think that someone who is a real, committed seller is going to be put off by having to have a HIP ? If anything they act as a useful deterrent to people putting their house on just "to test the market"

Plus, ask yourself why EAs hate them and campaigned against them. It's because they tell even the most numpty buyer, incapable of using the internet, what the house was bought for and when. as such they're a useful brake on people putting dumb offers in

Me, I like them cos it saves £4 on the LR site to find out that, plus any planning issues, and whether there are charges on the house RoWs etc etc.

Hi!

Where does it state on the HIP what price was paid for a property? I am curently in posession of a HIP for a house I am buying and I haven't come across this info? I had already checked Zoopla and Mouseprice before making an offer but there was no info. Subsequently found out that the current owners bought some 30 years ago......

Subsequently found out that the current owners bought some 30 years ago......

That's why

Currently-publicly-available LR data only go back to the late 90s.

We bought our last house in 94 and the price wasn't on the HIP when we sold it. If it's changed hands in the last 10-11 years then the info is there.

I can live with that - much before the mid 90s and it becomes a bit meaningless to try to extrapolate prices anyway. Much more useful if you know they bought in 2007 for 20% less than they're trying to sell for ;)

Hi!

Where does it state on the HIP what price was paid for a property? I am curently in posession of a HIP for a house I am buying and I haven't come across this info? I had already checked Zoopla and Mouseprice before making an offer but there was no info. Subsequently found out that the current owners bought some 30 years ago......

Got the title in there?

Some dont show it. Most do.

All they did was encourage wannabe surveyors who had done crummy courses to charge people yet more money to sell their house.

£500 in my neck of the woods.

I know someone who did these and he looked at a damp area of my kitchen wall, after much proding with meters and examaning, said it was a leaking roof when all it turned out to be was condensation getting trapped under the wall paper!

Good bye to yet another Labour sponsored plastic profession; next stop highway agency police and Communiity support officers.

There's a group who sit near me at work who all seem to have one or two BTLs. On hearing this one of them

said they'd put their stuff on the market, then they all said they'd put their stuff on the market.

Not sure what that means. Is it good or bad if the market's flooded with sellers who couldn't be bothered

to pay for a HIP (they quoted £300)?

Related, I know they've all been having problems recently. Voids, bad tenants etc. Some fixed, some float.

Work in London, not sure where their various BTLs are. I'd guess mostly commuter belt.

That's why

Currently-publicly-available LR data only go back to the late 90s.

We bought our last house in 94 and the price wasn't on the HIP when we sold it. If it's changed hands in the last 10-11 years then the info is there.

I can live with that - much before the mid 90s and it becomes a bit meaningless to try to extrapolate prices anyway. Much more useful if you know they bought in 2007 for 20% less than they're trying to sell for ;)

:lol:

Well, as it happens, and I should know - have been looking for 3 years, to buy a house like the one in questio, 3 years ago would have meant us selling our house and getting a mortgage of about 80k. As it is, we are cash buyers with a nice lump left over......STR in July 2007.

:lol:

Well, as it happens, and I should know - have been looking for 3 years, to buy a house like the one in questio, 3 years ago would have meant us selling our house and getting a mortgage of about 80k. As it is, we are cash buyers with a nice lump left over......STR in July 2007.

I don't think many people will mourn the passing of HIPS. It contained information buyers should ask for anyway and sellers should have available. As mentioned above if a seller can't provide the information, then proceed with caution.

......they'd put their stuff on the market, then they all said they'd put their stuff on the market.

...need to be quick if the CGT rise to 40% for high tax earners comes in on the 50 day budget.... :rolleyes:

Edited by South Lorne

My daughter just bought a house (against my advice) and the neighbours have load music playing well into the night.

Shouldn't this be covered by HIPS? This noise would have occurred with the other owners.

Any good solicitor should ask about disputes which would usually be access or fencing or even noise. If the owner never

reported it there is no dispute and HIPS makes no difference either way, Good riddance

If anyone is thinking of selling a house, some might say that you should never ever report the neighbours because it is

subjective, but if you do report them it is a disturbance..