House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Culpability Brown

Renting In Edinburgh

HPCers - I'm moving to Edinburgh.

Obviously I'm looking to rent. You'd be mad not to in this market.

Any advice would be appreciated as to where and where not to live.

I'm looking for a flat (period property not new build £500 / £550 pcm)

Thanks in advance.

CB.

Edited by Culpability Brown

Do you want to be in the centre of things? then go for the New Town (Georgian - think of Bath) or the Old Town but lots of tourists and students. Bus service is reliable so you could go further out like Morningside. Lot depends on where you'll be working I suppose.

If you can afford it best would be to go up for a weekend recce once the Festival is over and stay in a cheap B & B - the tourist office is a help for booking. Go into the Property centre on George Street - have a look at their website www.espc.com/ Get a map and walk around to get a feel for the place or take the buses - a day pass is good value and if you fly up and take the airport bus into town it's included in the price. And don't forget a good jumper just in case it's windy!

Also have a look in the Scotsman - I can't remember which day the property supplement is but their website also has property

Edited by Tinks

You are definitely doing the right-thing by renting in Edinburgh.

You can get quite nice flats and the rent almost anywhere is less

than an interest-only mortgage.

The area to the East of new town (Broughton, Bellevue, canonmills,

Hillside) is a nice place to stay and has plenty of period flats in the

450-550 price range.

Some websites which have flats to let include:

http://www.findaproperty.com/agent.aspx?ag...d=1896&opt=list

http://www.rydenlettings.co.uk/

http://www.drm-residential.co.uk/

I agree with the previous posters. Marchmont is a perennial favourite. Good period flats, a short walk to town, a good mix of student and young professional couples. Bruntsfield is worth a look as well.

www.braemore.co.uk

www.djalexander.co.uk

There are a lot of To Let signs around at the moment so you shouldn't have too many problems finding a BTL to subsidise your cost of living.

Guest magnoliawalls

I have found renting in Edinburgh a bit of a nightmare, in the past year we have rented though two different agencies who both ripped us off.

The place we have now is with a private landlord and was found on the Scotsman website.

As for areas it depends what you are after, if you want to be close to the nightlife or to have quiet neighbours etc. Morningside, Marchmont, Bruntsfield are lovely but you will struggle to find a decent sized tenement flat for £500-£550 pcm. In places like Gorgie you should be able do get a good two bedroom flat for that price - they are selling new ones for circa £200k there :D

As others have said, you'll be lucky to get anything in Marchmont or surrounding areas for that sort of money unless you flat share. Otherwise you're looking at Gorgie/Dalry or down Leith Walk. I think I'd be more likely to look for a flat share - I'm still friends with most of the people I've ever shared with, and the flats in Edinburgh are big enough to have your own space/.

In places like Gorgie you should be able do get a good two bedroom flat for that price - they are selling new ones for circa £200k there  :D

They rake in their buckets for something to eat.

They find a dead rat and they think it's a treat

In their Gorgie slums.

At least that's what my dad taught me anyway.

Edited by BoredTrainBuilder

Guest magnoliawalls
Which ones ripped you off?

What happened?

More details are in the renting forum...

DRM Residential - let us a flat that had a persistant problem with sewage backwashing into the bath, as you can imagine the smell and substance was disgusting and we were never able to have it sorted. When we picked the place we were new to Edinburgh and the agency assured us that the street in question was 'very quiet at night'. It was actually busy day and night and a major bus route, the flat had double glazing that was so badly fitted that it made no difference if the window was open or closed to the noise levels from the street. When we left the immaculate flat they deducted £40 from our deposit for forgetting 4 cups of our own amoung the crockery that came with the flat and for not changing an unreachable light bulb.

Alba residential - lovely flat, some minor maintenance issues and one nuisance; the gutter was leaking directly on to the outflow pipe from the bathroom. Somehow the noise seemed to be amplified and it was impossible to sleep in the bedroom in wet weather. Scotland gets a lot of wet weather. For eight months the agency kept telling us they would get it fixed but never did (until the week we moved). They also repaired the shower with sellotape. I suppose they did not really rip us off but they took a double referencing fee and over a month after we moved out we have still not been able to actually get our deposit back (although they agree that there will be no deductions). I had to repeatedly threaten them with legal action to persuade them to provide our landlord's name and address which every tenant is entitled to.

I have been renting in other countries for years and never had a problem until I moved to the UK and I have heard some other horror stories from coworkers here. It not surprising that people in Britain are so obsessive about owning there own home!

Guest magnoliawalls
They rake in their buckets for something to eat.

They find a dead rat and they think it's a treat

In their Gorgie slums.

At least that's what my dad taught me anyway.

:lol::lol:

Natives here look down their noses at Gorgie but it must have improved a lot in recent years. I enjoyed living there, friendly neighbours, plenty of small shops and a sense of community you don't get much of in Edinburgh.

I am female and I felt quite safe walking home alone from nights out in town.