House Price Crash Forum

U.k. Trade Deficit Widened In March As Imports Jump

I remember when Tebbit was alive he explained away a Tory difficulty with the Balance of Payments as business buying in kit to make things.

It was not true, of course.

O tempus, O mores.

Perhaps you remember that, but I bet you can't remember when he died.

Guest happy?

Tebbit, as I understand, died sometime during the 1970's - and has been a member of the undead since.

Guest Noodle

He was last seen on the south coast kicking the crap out of a Chinese carnival dragon.

I wonder if much of this is the money has been released from super low mortgage payments sucking in imports. The scrappage scheme must have sucked a lot of foreign cars in, nice to know we are bailing out foreign jobs with taxpayer money.

We need taxes to reduce consumption of goods that are most likely to come from abroad, not encourage it when we have a trade deficit. It just needs to be done in such a way as to not start a trade war.

VMR.

I wonder if much of this is the money has been released from super low mortgage payments sucking in imports. The scrappage scheme must have sucked a lot of foreign cars in, nice to know we are bailing out foreign jobs with taxpayer money.

We need taxes to reduce consumption of goods that are most likely to come from abroad, not encourage it when we have a trade deficit. It just needs to be done in such a way as to not start a trade war.

VMR.

the way it works i think is the more foreign goods the UK buys the less it has to spend bailing out those countries in the future and vice versa

Edited by Ruffneck

VMR.

no. retail sales are down.