House Price Crash Forum

Aft'noon all.

I've got some money sat in the bank and, i'm becoming increasingly concerned about it. I don't want to buy a house yet so I was thinking about whacking some of it into the stock market.

I have no experience of trading, but have been reading a lot and would like to A. Tie up some money in commodities to protect myself from inflation and B. gamble some of the money in areas I believe will increase.

Ideally, I would like to be able to do all of this myself on a website where I can transfer funds from my bank, buy shares and sell shares, preferably in real time, when I get bored and have a spare 5 mins. Hell, it'll be a laugh if nothing else.

I presume some people on this site are involved in online trading, and if so - any recommended sites or things to look out for?

Cheers,

The Bull Trap

Edited by The Bull Trap

I use Selftrade which I have found to be reliable. It may be wise to open a shares isa - this way you don't have the hassle of CGT forms for the HMRC if you strike lucky. This year you can put in 10.200 and I think if you do this you get a few free trades from Selftrade. No affiliation and no advice given only personal opinion - do your own research.

Um ... you're hardly likely to hit the capital gains threshold on a £10k stake! Unless you have some big investments to consider, the advantage of the ISA is the income tax: relatively small, but worth having. Put the shares or funds with the biggest yields in the tax shelter.

FWIW, I use H-L.

Aft'noon all.

I've got some money sat in the bank and, i'm becoming increasingly concerned about it. I don't want to buy a house yet so I was thinking about whacking some of it into the stock market.

I have no experience of trading, but have been reading a lot and would like to A. Tie up some money in commodities to protect myself from inflation and B. gamble some of the money in areas I believe will increase.

Ideally, I would like to be able to do all of this myself on a website where I can transfer funds from my bank, buy shares and sell shares, preferably in real time, when I get bored and have a spare 5 mins. Hell, it'll be a laugh if nothing else.

I presume some people on this site are involved in online trading, and if so - any recommended sites or things to look out for?

Cheers,

The Bull Trap

If you're going to buy commodities be careful of contango and backwardation. Could affect you depending on what/how you buy into commodities. Have a read here http://retirementinvestingtoday.blogspot.com/2010/04/investing-mistakes-ive-made-contango.html

I use H-L. They are good enough if you wish to trade within the UK and use ISAs or funds. The fund discounts are as good as it gets in my opinion. Their trading charges are also pretty good.

If you wish to trade shares in foreign markets or forex, or bets or cfds then they do none of those. I do think they trade foreign shares, only by phone but not online. I have heard good things about Selftrade. Barclays and TDW have been criticised recently for having IT problems during trading hours, however if you are not a day trader this should not be a problem.

I would second the advice about contango, I lost a bit of money playing commodities such as ngas and agricultural products despite actual price rises. Also be very wary about those PM ETFs, be sure about what you're buying. Also be wary of leveraged or short ETFs, just google it and you'll find out why.

If you want a heart-stopper every week or so, then check out the AIM. This week my "hell" portfolio swung from -20% to +300% because one stock rocketed. Not for the faint hearted, and certainly not for money that you are not willing to lose. I would strongly advise you to stay well clear from this market until you understand what shares are all about. These are volatile times we live in and you could well lose ALL your capital if you pick the wrong stock.

I use H-L. They are good enough if you wish to trade within the UK and use ISAs or funds. The fund discounts are as good as it gets in my opinion. Their trading charges are also pretty good.

If you wish to trade shares in foreign markets or forex, or bets or cfds then they do none of those. I do think they trade foreign shares, only by phone but not online. I have heard good things about Selftrade. Barclays and TDW have been criticised recently for having IT problems during trading hours, however if you are not a day trader this should not be a problem.

I would second the advice about contango, I lost a bit of money playing commodities such as ngas and agricultural products despite actual price rises. Also be very wary about those PM ETFs, be sure about what you're buying. Also be wary of leveraged or short ETFs, just google it and you'll find out why.

If you want a heart-stopper every week or so, then check out the AIM. This week my "hell" portfolio swung from -20% to +300% because one stock rocketed. Not for the faint hearted, and certainly not for money that you are not willing to lose. I would strongly advise you to stay well clear from this market until you understand what shares are all about. These are volatile times we live in and you could well lose ALL your capital if you pick the wrong stock.

Thanks for the advice (above, and everyone else). I'm not planning on sticking my life savings in, just a wee bit to have a play really. I think i'll be doing a lot of reading before I jump in!