House Price Crash Forum
Guest Alright Jack

Explain

Guest Alright Jack

Every time I visit here I see an abundance of overt references to personal wealth.

Fair enough.

What I cannot reconcile are statements like this that I read all the time on here:

"...I am not buying at the moment even though I could afford to buy outright..."

"...By next year I'll have enough to buy outright..."

"...Soon I'll have enough for a 50% deposit..."

with statements like this:

"...House prices are far too high and no-one can afford to buy them..."

"...Buying now would mean intant negative equity..."

You are just trying to drive prices down in your own interests to make another quick buck or ten.

It won't work because HPC has no where near sufficient popular acclaim - not surprising given the double faced bullsh!t such as above.

Edited by Alright Jack

Every time I visit here I see an abundance of overt references to personal wealth.

Fair enough.

What I cannot reconcile are statements like this that I read all the time on here:

"...I am not buying at the moment even though I could afford to buy outright..."

You are just trying to drive prices down in your own interests to make another quick buck or ten.

It won't work because HPC has no where near sufficient popular acclaim - not surprising given the double faced bullsh!t such as above.

The reason for this "double faced ********" is simple. There is more than one person posting here. We are all in different financial situations.

As for the purpose of this website being to drive down prices - do you really think anyone here is that naive? It only takes a cursory glance at the number of people viewing the site at any given time to see that it is a ridiculous suggestion.

Posters are discussing their views on the housing market and the wider economy, and most find it a useful aid to decision making.

Fair enough.

Could this not be explained by the fact that some people on this site are FTB's and some are STR's ?

This is what I'm talking about.

I'm all for intelligent bulls coming onto this 'crash' forum and arguing the toss with us - fair enough. Debate etc.

Problem is, all we ever seem to get are these useless lamers who have NOTHING to say except:-

Yah boo there wont be a house price crash so you can all f*ckoff

or

I'm rich I own loadsa properties you should have bought in 1918

or

You are all trying to destroy the housing market in the UK but you wont, you WONT, you hear! (Stamps foot)

Until someone comes on with a rational argument as to why it could possibly be 'different this time', I suggest we just ignore cr@p like this, or respond with:-

AWOOGA

Fair enough.

On re-reading your post (God knows why) I realised something:

You sound absolutely terrified. Like a wild animal backed into a corner. Maybe you should consider STR?

what goes up out of proportion will need to be matched by blow up wages of equal proportion.

you will find we seek fairness in the uk housing stock.

were angry thats its become a crazy money market.

instead we need homing by our councils then,

we pay the tax - weres our services ?

This is what I'm talking about.

I'm all for intelligent bulls coming onto this 'crash' forum and arguing the toss with us - fair enough. Debate etc.

Problem is, all we ever seem to get are these useless lamers who have NOTHING to say except:-

Yah boo there wont be a house price crash so you can all f*ckoff

or

I'm rich I own loadsa properties you should have bought in 1918

or

You are all trying to destroy the housing market in the UK but you wont, you WONT, you hear! (Stamps foot)

Until someone comes on with a rational argument as to why it could possibly be 'different this time', I suggest we just ignore cr@p like this, or respond with:-

AWOOGA

Crash You're all right you are. hope you call into few internet cafes, when touring

foxy

Unlike the people who talk the market up to make a quick buck?

I dont understand why people think its so ok for people to make money as houses go up (off the back off a house price crash). But as soon as people talk about making money going the other way the old boomers get on the moral high ground and start spouting thoughtless nonsense.

You should also realise there are people like me, just out of uni, saddled with debt with out a hope in hell in getting a house. I dont even meet the criteria for a council house..

Yes "This time will be different", never heard that one before.

Edited by sllabres

Fair enough.

Hello Jack,

I'm no finance man, but in a society where the pressure is that "you can't afford not to buy", I find the views expressed on here a refreshing alternative to that proposed by the shrinking majority of the population. There's been speculation on the way up, as there is on the way down. Markets overshoot, reality bites.

There are plenty of posters here who have made a heap and have sold to bet on the market dropping. Sly buggers! (Salt being rubbed into my not-having-my-own-place ego) I'm guessing there are also plenty who have an interest in the market continuing to rise.

Swearing poorly in your first post on a thread doesn't help your case, Jack, but thanks for your views. In a few years your views might be considered "a refreshing alternative" to the norm too.

/G

Fair enough.

I have never heard anyone ever say they could afford to buy outright but they won't. I have heard many say that they could afford to buy(i.e get a mortgage) but won't, i include myself in that catergory.

I could go and buy now and be seen to be on the property ladder, only to find myself in the same mess that many will be in once this crash takes hold.

Sam

Swearing poorly in your first post on a thread doesn't help your case, Jack, but thanks for your views. In a few years your views might be considered "a refreshing alternative" to the norm too.

You tell him about about "the sly buggers" although it might not help your case.

Not trying to drive down prices. Its paying attention to economic sense..

The Economy can be either Viewed as very complicated, or very simple.

simply put it has a ballence. It will adjust back to its natural state.

Looking at long term trends is sensible.

Now The house price rise has been reported as a dangerous bubble, but how can thi have happened?

There are two bubbles a house price bubble and a debt bubble.

Now a house should be one of the more expensive outlays that any of us make in our lifetimes. so a significant increase in the cost of a home significantly changes our spending powers in other areas.

this affects the economy, increased mortgage spending, reduces spending on the high street..

the high street is 2/3rds of our economy and a reduction here will cause a spiral affect, as less is spent here less money is available to those in this area, who then reduce their spending also on the highstreet, this is recession.

So how did the housing bubble go on so long without strangling the rest of the economy?

This is because of the debt bubble. this ran in parralel to the housing bubble. For the money that was removed form the greater economy by greater and greater house prices, there was other money being spent into the economy by borrowing agaisnt new percieved wealth.

Is there a debt bubble?

yes, in 300 yeas of banking we managed to get our selves in £500,000,000,000 of personal debt.

In the last few years under gordon this has increased by $600,000,000,000

over doubled.

the debt that wasn't being used to purchase a home was in the greater part being freed from exisiting homes as mortgage equity release, credit cards and loans.

This shielded the economy from the houses rising..

until this stops..

why would it stop?

well a debt based economy (which this is) cannot continue unless people are able to increase their debt year on year exponentially.

This can't happen.

It reaches a point where the borrowing stops and then the combined debt now does not ballence out, but is all getting repayed and acts as a massive hoover on the rest of the economy.

Bank of England figures show the reduction of persoanl borrowing which reflects on the high street recession we are now seeing.

The economy is about to be again reminded that there is no such thing as free money, it cannot be created from nowhere and the areas where it is moved from will struggle, throttle the economic structure of the country and create hard times.

a housing boom has never ended under recsssion, there has naver been a HPC because of recession.

They cause recessions.

Wealth is only percieved today, for the great part it is reflected only under debt.

So we are not adventing this for our own gain.

we are just studying the econmic trends and waiting.

Edited by apom

I have never heard anyone ever say they could afford to buy outright but they won't. I have heard many say that they could afford to buy(i.e get a mortgage) but won't, i include myself in that catergory.

I could go and buy now and be seen to be on the property ladder, only to find myself  in the same mess that many will be in once this crash takes hold.

Sam

I can buy outright, with no mortgage, but won't, its probably harder to throw 'your own' money away than it is the banks.

Prices are ludicrous at the moment, I'd rather keep my cash and rent thanks!

Guest Alright Jack
I can buy outright, with no mortgage.

A case in point.

Stop pretending there isn't the money to sustain the housing market at its current level.

You are one example.

For a general outlook take a peek at the debt servicing to salary figures. No signs of struggling in the main.

There are always a few outliers of course who have no financial nouse whatsoever.

I'd rather keep my cash and rent thanks!

That is your decision and I wish you all the best with your lifelong renting. I've seen rental costs and they are quite fantastic.

Property is always a good personal investment in long run.

Jack some breaking news - ITS CHEAPER TO RENT THAN TO BUY.

Even the total property bulls now acknowledge that prices are not going to go up but 'stagnate'. In circumstances such as these why anybody would bother to buy when they can save cash and sit back comfortably to see which way prices go is a mystery to me.

Edited by Who Knows

I remember telling my Mum that some crappy wreck I was considering doing up was "only" 100k, and she looked at me and said: "I have worked my whole life and I've saved a hundred thousand.  It's not 'only a hundred thousand'.  Don't throw away the equivalent of my life's work."

I felt thoroughly ashamed.  She was right of course.

That's one of the worst things about the present situation, the way people talk blithely about 200 or 300 thousand as if it were nothing. For a lot people these sums represent more than they could save in a lifetime.

I am not the norm, far from it I admit, I've done pretty well for an uneducated drop out :P , but the average buyer at the bottom of the market CANNOT afford to pay 120K for a shoe box, you need a BIG income to just scrape on the bottom of the ladder....

Yeah aren't rental prices great, I live in a really nice house in a very sought after area, and i've got change from the interest I receive on my houseing capital ... now ask yourself .....why is that?

Answer ....... because houses are overvalued... very simple really

Guest Alright Jack
Jack some breaking news - ITS CHEAPER TO RENT THAN TO BUY.

Even the total property bulls now acknowledge that prices are not going to go up but 'stagnate'. In circumstances such as these why anybody would bother to buy when they can save cash and sit back comfortably to see which way prices go is a mystery to me.

That's why, traditionally, poor people rent.

It's a bit chicken and egg - hence aristocratic type landlord ship based on generational holdings.

Get used to it.

That's why, traditionally, poor people rent.

It's a bit chicken and egg - hence aristocratic type landlord ship based on generational holdings.

Get used to it.

So what your saying is : you have to PAY for the privilege of being rich?

Hilarious. :lol:

edit: typo

Edited by Smell the Fear

That's one of the worst things about the present situation, the way people talk blithely about 200 or 300 thousand as if it were nothing.  For a lot people these sums represent more than they could save in a lifetime.

Agreed, people talk about these sums as though its chicken feed.

Think about this someone that takes out a 200K interest only mortgage, have to save / or pay off £8000 a year to clear the capital after a 25 year period ......... makes you think doesn't it!

A case in point.

Stop pretending there isn't the money to sustain the housing market at its current level.

I did the survey posted a while back on here and am in the top 3% of the country in terms of disposable income, yet would struggle to buy a 1BR shoe box in a council estate.

Recent surveys have shown that most home owners would not be able to buy the property they are currently living in if they were to start again.

I'm not sure where you think the money is going to come from to sustain the housing market. :blink:

The original post actually articulates - rather succinctly - the philosophy that underpins the herd mentality of our house-market. It goes a little something like this:

"If you can afford to buy, do it."

This tacitly assumes that housing is always the best place to invest your money.

Well I'm afraid some of us are capable of reading the financial press and dissecting the politics and vested interests. Some of us are capable of looking at a graph tracking historical trends and identifying when we are 'high' and 'low'.

Take me for example. I dont earn what I would call a big salary but have saved ****ing hard whilst the nation has got itself into more and more debt, leveraged by the house-price boom.

I do not want to toss away savings that have taken 5 years to accumulate into an asset that I can only see depreciating for the next 2 years.

Saving hard has taught me something. Once you've saved a fair chunk the reasons to part with that stash have to be VERY persuasive.